Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
ETL

Consumers Reports on RV's???

Is there any unbiased evaluation data for first time buyers to read on Motorhomes???? Seems like they all have some great features, but history of maintenance would certainly be useful when looking to buy a big rig.
Thanks in advance
ETL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 05:00 PM   #2

I believe it is called rv consumer group

Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
I believe it is called rv consumer group
Welcome to the forum ETL. You are doing the right thing by asking questions and gaining knowledge before buying.

I have used the RV Consumer Group's Guide for two used MH purchases (10 years apart). I did not use the guide for the final purchase decision. However, I found it very useful in helping me build a "short list" of units to consider buying.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:36 AM   #4

Thanks for posting! Sounds helpful.
LisaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:49 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Note that RVCG does not test or always physically look at RVs.

Most of their "findings or opinions" are based on what they read about RVs.

Some of their info is useful, but there are countless happy owners of RVs that RVCG does not believe are acceptable.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Note that RVCG does not test or always physically look at RVs.

Most of their "findings or opinions" are based on what they read about RVs.

Some of their info is useful, but there are countless happy owners of RVs that RVCG does not believe are acceptable.
Definitely correct. The RV Consumer Group gets all their information from the manufacturers themselves. There are no test drives. It used to be that the owners didn't even RV.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #7

And they have a "no refund" policy. You buy it, you're stuck with it. Whether you like it or not and their "sample" pages don't show much.
Can anyone chime in that has bought the subscription and tell us how useful it was?
Old 09-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #8

IF there ever was a place that actually tested units I think all you would read is poor quality control. What other industry ships products that have to be inspected and repaired continually at their dealerships? Where things not right is the norm and pretty much as long as it rolls ship it? Not to say the dealers are any better, never heard of any new car dealer waiting to inspect units until sold, this has got to be the stupidest business model ever. I would never consider buying a new factory unit, let someone else go through all that hassle. Manufacturers who ship units without completely inspecting and repairing them should be ashamed!
Old 09-15-2015, 11:58 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
.....Can anyone chime in that has bought the subscription and tell us how useful it was?
I subscribed in 2012 when we were shopping for a fulltiming coach. I subscribed to the database, read his book, and did some checking. I found that- among other things- the RVCG detractors are often as inaccurate as they portray the RVCG to be. But that is off topic in this thread.

Like it or not, all RVs are NOT created equal. Plain and simple, some are designed, engineered, and built better than others. The areas where you might tolerate adequacy in lieu of top quality depends on several factors unique to your plans.

gruelens is correct. The data is highly useful in allowing you to pare down your candidates to a short list. What I can say is this: When I compared the RVCG ratings and commentary to the realities I found on the dealer's lot and during test drives, I found the RVCG to be relevant and accurate in virtually every category. If I shop for another RV, my first step will be to subscribe once more to the RVCG data.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I think the value of the RVCG stuff depends on whether you buy into their rating criteria, which are mostly subjective. It's a set of opinions applied across the board to all brands, but perhaps not the same opinions/criteria that some other "expert" might apply.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:33 AM   #11

Thanks for the review
Old 09-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #12

There's a good reason a lot of people spend months picking out an RV. For starters, I think it's going to take you that long to educate yourself well enough to recognize a deal when you see one.

Point being - I'm with Gary above. I've learned enough on my own where I would not trust an "expert's" opinion to match my own.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
ahicks x2!!
It takes a lot of study and looking. And the realization of sales men's accuracies are based on their need to sell something. We went through quite a few bad pitches before learning to ignore 90% of what they tell you. Along with ruling out biased opinions as well.

480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs