RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #1

Control Substance Prescriptions on The Road

We just got back from a trip and had a major problem trying to get a controlled substance prescription filled.

We use a nation wide pharmacy chain and thought that would be enough. Nope!

One store said it was state law that they not accept refills from out of state.

Another said they didn't have access to any controlled substance prescriptions from out of state.

Of course both of these were from the same national chain that we use all the time.

Finally a pharmacist told us that we could call the doctor and have an e-prescription sent to them and they would fill it. However not all stores would do that and of course it was the weekend.

So my question is: what do others do if you have to get prescriptions, especially controlled substance ones, while on the road?

It is getting so we are treated like a criminals when going for these refills. We can't get them filled more than a few days in advance, and if that happens to be on a weekend and you have to call the doctor??

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #2

You need to talk to your doc and pharm to come up with a plan. I've seen notices at pharms of new laws. I understand the need for control, but you have a need too. Between your Doc and your pharm, hopefully you can come up with a plan.
Good luck

cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:23 PM   #3

Medicare with Blue Cross/Blue Shield GAP

I have in the past been able to get approval for advanced refills when taking extended trips. I first did this when working for the Navy and I would get sent on deployment for 6 months or so. I got all of the prescriptions I needed including my Neurotin, Tramadol. Ativan and Ambien. All of those being "controlled substances". My pharmacist did all the leg work.

Sudsy
Old 03-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #4

It's only going to get harder. without going in to alot of detail. I told my pain management doctor that I needed to figure away to stop the pain meds. Even though I need them everyday, I can't travel under the new, tougher restrictions of opiates. The thought of never being gone more then a month at a time was depressing. So my doctor said let's try a "Butrans" patch it's not an opiate you stick it on your body and it releases medicine into you for 7 days. Well I'm on my 2nd month and I'm shocked at how well they work. I've been taking opiates since 2006 and even though I still need a pain pill sometimes for break through, it's working. Talk to your doctor about it. If your like me, the thought of not being away from my home state for as long as we want is just not possible. "BUTRANS"
Good Luck

Oh and this is so true.

It is getting so we are treated like a criminals when going for these refills. We can't get them filled more than a few days in advance, and if that happens to be on a weekend and you have to call the doctor??

But keep in mind, my pharmacist told that one of my pain pills sells for $20 on the street.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
So my doctor said let's try a "Butrans" patch it's not an opiate you stick it on your body and it releases medicine into you for 7 days.
According to the company's website:

"Butrans is a long-acting (extended-release) opioid pain medicine that can put you at risk for overdose and death. Even if you use your dose correctly as prescribed, you are at risk for opioid addiction, abuse and misuse that can lead to death."

Are you talking about some other kind of "butrans"?
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #6

There's another similar post going on the Full-Timer's forum on this site. Check it out.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post

"Butrans is a long-acting (extended-release) opioid pain medicine that can put you at risk for overdose and death. Even if you use your dose correctly as prescribed, you are at risk for opioid addiction, abuse and misuse that can lead to death."

Non opiate, Dr. was able to call it in. You can't do that with opiates. And non-addiction. The opiates are what's addictive.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies.

BTW, not all controlled substances are opiates, but they are all grouped the same.

Steve
Old 03-14-2018, 10:26 PM   #9

Quote:

Thatís a big negative. Itís a partial opioid agonist.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
It is getting so we are treated like a criminals when going for these refills.
That's what happens when the government attempts to stop the illegal behavior of a few by passing laws that only the law abiding majority will obey. And it will get worse.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:53 PM   #11

Different states have different rules. My DW had the same issue several years ago. We ended up having to drive to AZ from NV to get her script filled. Even had gone to a NV clinic and the doc there wasn't allowed to write a script for more than a 3 day supply, and he even called her PCP back in NH to verify. Agree with the statement - law abiding citizens getting treated like criminals due to the bad actions of a minority. Luckily she was able to find a non-controlled med to replace what she had been taking, so for now we can travel again.

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:20 AM   #12

I feel your pain! After 3 major vehicle crashes (none my fault) and having surgery #18 Friday, we have to plan our trips around meds. It absolutely sucks but don't know another way to do it.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #13

Quote:

Most medications for chronic pain are schedule ll, which require a Dr. visit every 30 days and a hard copy script handed to the patient and then patient delivers to the pharmacy to get a one month supply with NO refills. That's why it's impossible to leave your home state for more then 3 to 4 weeks.
Butrans is a schedule lll, which means a Dr. can call in the prescription With refills, so this allows a patient to travel out of state and still be treated for chronic pain. The Butrans patch is much safer then the 60 to 80 MG a day of Percocet and 20 to 30 mg of Morphine a day I was taking before the Butrans. The OP and so many other RV'ers out there can lead a simi normal pain free life taking a schedule lll medication. Where as a schedule ll medication ties you to your Dr. every 30 days. For me it's a no brainer. Also it's not a state by state law, it's a Federal law and it's affecting more and more people every day.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #14

Having been on schedule IIs I feel for all of you that have to take them everyday.

Both of our prescriptions are actually schedule IV. I retired to allow myself to get by with the schedule IV meds.

So we more choices than do schedule II patients. It is still really frustrating dealing with this.

Whatever happened to adults being responsible for their own actions!

BTW, as was pointed out earlier, there is a really good discussion on this same topic on the full timers forum with a lot of information for those looking for options and information:

How do you deal with medications

Steve

Tags
scr