Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #1

Convert Park model with tanks

Purchasing a former FEMA trailer this weekend and cannot find a quote for the costs of hooking up holding tanks to it to use for non-park setting. The dealership heard it costs about $1000 but they have no idea who does it or how to do it yourself. Is there any help or advice anyone on here could give me? Thank you very much in advance, Rachel Cyr

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Everything on a park model is set up to be almost permanently parked in one place. No holding tanks, they are hooked up to a sewer line. No fresh water tank, they are hooked up to water line. So no 12 volt for running lights, fans, water pump. Refrigerator is only 120v elec. Range is also probably elec., and if it is it will be 220v. I would say it would not be impossible to make a park model ready to be used as a travel trailer, but it would be very expensive and difficult to make the transition.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ron is correct. There just isn't anything about a Park Model that lends itself to being used as a camping/travelling rig. Converting it would be difficult and expensive.

I'm curious how the dealer would have ANY idea of the cost of adding tanks if he had no idea who could do it. I think maybe he just pulled that answer out his nether-regions for the sake of sounding like he actually knew something.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #4

Thanks guys, headed out to see the dealership now that quoted that. It seems that there is a lot of misinformation in craigslist ads that say "no tanks, but you could buy a tank yourself for 100-200 and have installed". I think they are trying to market them as travel trailer type, when they really cant be used for such.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is mostly a matter of mounting and supporting the tanks in a area that plumbing can be run for the drains. You run plastic pipe. Supporting the tanks may require welding in more steel. The will not be insulated or enclosed.

Ken
Old 07-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #6

Coolness, we ending up buying a reg camper for a great price, under 11k with everything we wanted. Thank s for you help guys!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Well come on cybercyr, tell us what you got. And pictures to show.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercyr View Post
Thanks guys, headed out to see the dealership now that quoted that. It seems that there is a lot of misinformation in craigslist ads that say "no tanks, but you could buy a tank yourself for 100-200 and have installed". I think they are trying to market them as travel trailer type, when they really cant be used for such.
They are, so FLAG those adds. People are buying them thinking they're getting a "camper" and they are not. By the time they learn, the seller has his or her money and there are no refunds or take-backs.

They're also the ugliest TTs out there with almost no windows and only the bare basics to get by.

Craigslist is full of scammers and con-men.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #9

Well ok, twist my arm.....
Really happy, been showing off the pics to everyone! It is a former FEMA, 2006 Mallard, but low use and wear, no smells, and fully self contained. Everything we wanted, bunks, space, outdoor shower. Our first rodeo, but think we did really good. 109 deg Georgia heat while we searched for hours (they had 200 FEMA campers) we spent 13 hours searching, buying and driving. Then we hit a Deer the last 30 min on the way home so now the search for a new car. LOL

Yes, she is right, no windows on some of those park models and some made your eyes sting so bad when you walked into them. It was scary. I like your advice about flaging or notifying any ads that i see about park model conversion, and will try to do it. =)

Hope these pics im attaching work, new to this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (8).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	23141   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (9).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	23142  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (10).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	23143   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (11).jpg
Views:	107
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	23144  

Old 07-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #10

Looks like it's got three slideouts? You do have lots of room!
Congratulations.
Ron
Old 07-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #11

Only 2 slideouts, will need to learn how to use them. Picking up this weekend. I signed up for this forum to find a quick answer to the tanks question, but now that my sister and I are first time owners traveling across country Im glad that I did. We can come here for any questions and problems that come up on the way to California. Picking up exhaust brakes for the Ford F250 Diesel truck, and asking the dealership to talk us through all systems like water, sewer, leveling, etc.... Is there anything specifically we should ask them to teach us before we leave the lot?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Well ok, twist my arm.....
Really happy, been showing off the pics to everyone! It is a former FEMA, 2006 Mallard, but low use and wear, no smells, and fully self contained.
Beautiful! It's hard to believe that's a FEMA trailer. It lacks that cheap tacky look and has windows! I assume it has holding tanks.

Quote:
Yes, she is right, no windows on some of those park models and some made your eyes sting so bad when you walked into them. It was scary. I like your advice about flaging or notifying any ads that i see about park model conversion, and will try to do it. =)

Hope these pics im attaching work, new to this
The pics are great and you have a very attractive roomy TT. May you enjoy many happy camping trips with it. I Flag every FEMA adds unless the seller is honest and calls it a Park Model - if that's what it is.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #13

Quote:
.. Is there anything specifically we should ask them to teach us before we leave the lot?
Yes, ask about anti-sway bars and a good "Weight Distribution" hitch. Your TT should be level while towing.