Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #1

converting to a powered roof vent

Our new Chateau has two manual ceiling vents manufactured by Ventline, model VDO432. We would like to convert the rear one that is within two inches of a ceiling light to a powered unit. The service manager at the RV shop said I could easliy use the power from the ceiling light to power the new fan.
Have no experience with these fans or the others that one hears so much about like the Fantastic line. Can I get some input on these conversions and what type of fan is best to use. A manually opened 12 volt electric fan with three speeds would be adequate for our needs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am planning to add a Vortex II to the one non-powered vent I have. Power to come from the adjacent 12Volt light...available from many retailers on-line

I don't want to replace the whole vent to avoid breaking the roof seal.

See:
RV CLAMP STYLE PAINTED METAL BASE VENTS
and
Vortex II Fan Installed in RV Compare - YouTube

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #3

Check it all out as the wiring size and fuse come from the factory to supply a light with power. One way to help that is to use LED lights on that circuit. Turn all the lights on and pull fuses so you can tell what does what.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wogden,
Consider Airxcel | Maxxair |
I got rid of the Fantastic Fans and switched to this brand. It does not require a sensor to get wet before closing its' lid. With a Maxxair, the inside of your coach will not get wet. Set it and forget it. I've had two of these for years and they work as advertised. I would make the same purchase again.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #5

Suggest you remove inside framework. Bet you will find prewired 12volt wires pushed up alongside vent frame. Remove wire nuts and touch a bulb to them, if it lights, then you have "live" wires. The "Vortex fan" is the best bet. No need to go up on roof, or break seals. All done from inside. If you don't find live wires, then you may be able to "FISH" a wire from the light fixture.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #6

If that rear fan is in the bed area, a top of the line Fantastic fan with remote control to all you to operate the fan while in bed is, in itself, "fantastic"!

Being able to start, stop, or change the speed of the fan in the middle of then night because of varying temperatures is one of the few luxuries I find useful!

Ed
Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogden View Post
Our new Chateau has two manual ceiling vents manufactured by Ventline, model VDO432. We would like to convert the rear one that is within two inches of a ceiling light to a powered unit. The service manager at the RV shop said I could easliy use the power from the ceiling light to power the new fan.
Have no experience with these fans or the others that one hears so much about like the Fantastic line. Can I get some input on these conversions and what type of fan is best to use. A manually opened 12 volt electric fan with three speeds would be adequate for our needs.
wogden
When you say "powered unit" do you mean a "vent with a powered lid", or are you simply looking for an electric fan, (or both)?

Tags
power, roof, vent