Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rving2 View Post
She can go up and down steps right now, has been times in the past when she couldn't and no one knows the future. She just can't spend the whole day going in and out. Has to rest a lot!!!
If she needs to rest, what better way than to have her own bed close by.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2017, 10:28 AM   #16

Some days my wife loves to hate me.

WHY you ask?

I believe its better to ask forgiveness than permission

I'm the guy that gets home and announces. "Look what I bought"... Including our first 2 motorhomes

Regardless. we have made it 43 years and counting.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #17

Yeah, I will have to work on her more about having bed to rest when traveling.
Frank, I sure know what you mean "Some days she loves to hate me."
Although she gets over it!!!!
new2rving2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Those rental units are crap - putting wife in one might turn her away from RVing for good.

I looked into that idea: the max length was 30ft (way too small for luxury MH), had to rent it for a min of 4 days (at $150/day). No slide outs. The interior is no-frills (like staying in a Motel 6).

A rental may be nice for a young family that wants to take kids on a trip - but a rental is no good for seniors (semi-seniors) that want to get introduced to the "luxury" motor home life.

I would take her to local RV dealership and show the top end units to her. Then if she likes what she sees, you can decide what to buy (new, used, dealer, private-seller, etc.). You can always resell in a couple of years if it doesn't work out.

Also, you may want to look at a MH with handicap access (see the Sticky at the top of the "Class A" forum).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
If you are staying in lower end Motels and Hotels the point could be made about not being good for her health. The lack of cleanliness and reports of bed bugs and such has me scared straight out of staying in them.
My wife likes sleeping in our own clean bed and cooking alot of our own meals and we do find it less expensive other than the investment. And Rover is always allowed as well.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #20

DW and I have been married 44 years. She never went camping before we got married. Shortly after we got married I took her camping in a pup tent. Rained hard all night and water ran through the tent. It took a long time but I convinced her to get an old Burrow TT. She never warmed up to that little trailer. Next was a pop-up. Seemed like it always rained or was very hot and humid when we went out. Graduated to a 5th wheel which she liked somewhat. Sold that and got a larger 5th wheel. All this time she more-or-less tolerated camping. Some how last March I talked her into our current Holiday Rambler Ambassador 30 ft. motorhome. Suddenly she loves going camping. She can navigate the steps better, the motorhome has a lower ceiling height than most so she can easily reach all the cupboards, and she loves the space. We both now look forward to taking the motorhome out whenever we can. I still can't get over the change.

On a side note, I have been reading a series of books by Paul Stutzman. He and his wife were always planning what they would do when they retired and all the honeydo items were caught up. He lost his wife to breast cancer before retirement was possible. He stresses that yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown but you have today, make the most of it while you can.

TC
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #21

Not knowing your financial situation and not knowing if she truly needs to worry about finances, it sounds to me if maybe she's the type who just has a hard time spending money. Or perhaps you've both not sat down together and truly looked at your finances to determine exactly just what you can or cannot afford. I've known people who had plenty of money - more than we have - but it was in their nature to have a knee-jerk reaction to spending money on anything. If that's the case with her, then this may be a losing battle. I hope not - hope you can bring her around.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You've received some great ideas so far. I believe that the best way to get her interest piqued is to rent a nice RV for a weekend and take her out in it. She will soon discover, hopefully, that this is a great, and convenient, way to travel.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't know if they're the only one but Newmar has a Canyon Star that has a wheel chair lift in a great little gasser coach. I have a friend who is in a walker or wheel chair and he's looking for a used one right now. We saw one a an RV show brand new and it was really neat.

Best of all worlds for you. Lots of room on the interior to move around with a wheel chair and a really nice lift as well. Bathroom is also handicapped ready.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #24

Ramp on a toyhauler will probably work , and a golf cart so you don't have to push a wheel chair as the pages on the calendar will keep turning for you too........
goingtoenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a link t one.

Canyon Star Wheelchair Accessible RVUniversal Design Style
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCollins View Post
On a side note, I have been reading a series of books by Paul Stutzman. He and his wife were always planning what they would do when they retired and all the honeydo items were caught up. He lost his wife to breast cancer before retirement was possible. He stresses that yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown but you have today, make the most of it while you can.
Same here, except the late DW's death was caused by liver cancer and it's treatment.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #27

Grand Design Owners Club
Here is a cost comparison breakdown to consider based on the trip we took from Dickson, TN to Morgantown WV for a ballgame last weekend in which we drove the Highlander vs the MH.
1,200 miles @ 22 MPG @ $2.30 gal = $125.00 for Gas
Hotel 2 nights = $400
Kennel, 2 Dogs @ 3 nights @ $15/night/dog = $90
Food - washes either way.
So Trip cost in Toyota Highlander ~ $600

Same trip in MH which we will do in two years:
1,200 miles @ 6mpg @ $2.30/gal = $460
Parking at stadium for 2 nights = $80
Parking along the way - assume $40
Kennel - $0
Trip cost in MH = $580. And much more comfortable

Plus mortgage interest write-off on income tax for 2nd home
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #28

Off hand it sounds like I would be looking at different motorhomes. If you go around 30 ft in a class C the bedroom is separate from the living/cooking space. Price is significantly less than an A. There is 1 or 2 fewer steps to get in or she can do an easier entrance via the cab seat. The MH will handle a towed. Buy used with the idea that you can sell/trade it for what you have into it if she hates it. Do a few short trips and see what happens.

Some folks want the service of even a cheap motel. That means you are getting the free or a paid meals so she does not have to cook or clean up. Ditto bed making and much of the laundry. That may be her issue. I'd consider backing off the point system, cutting my driving to 6-8 hour days and picking up some of the work she is escaping with the motel/restaurant idea. If that does not win her over then I suspect you never will.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote