Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
JayGee's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
Now,see, I DON'T understand the antipathy toward law enforcement. I can see convicted felons, drug dealers, criminals of a general nature, etc not liking law enforcement, but the average law abiding American having an anti-cop attitude baffles me. And while you say it is a "very typical American" attitude, I really don't believe it is all that prevalent.
I agree.
__________________

__________________
JayGee
Foothills of the Smokies
2005 Bounder 35E
JayGee is offline  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
BigSkyBob's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Western Montana on the Divide
Posts: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
this clown should be cited for failure to maintain control of a motor vehicle, reckless driving, and reckless endangerment, he should be stripped of all entitlements. he should also be banned from ever working as an leo in the US. there is never a reason to endanger another human no matter what the reason is.

those poor people deserved none of what they got and i hope they take him and the office to the cleaners. ridicules.
I couldn't disagree more with your statement.
__________________

__________________
Bob Retired Army Traveling alone now.
2008 Camelot 40 PDQ 4 slides ISL400 towing a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quadcab
Western MT in summer, AZ, NV in winter
BigSkyBob is offline  
Old 05-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
LeeRevell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Norfleet, Florida
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by laj
this clown should be cited for failure to maintain control of a motor vehicle, reckless driving, and reckless endangerment, he should be stripped of all entitlements. he should also be banned from ever working as an leo in the US. there is never a reason to endanger another human no matter what the reason is.

those poor people deserved none of what they got and i hope they take him and the office to the cleaners. ridicules.


Would this attitude prevail if it was an EMS vehicle transporting a cardiac patient to the hospital, and hit that puddle....?
__________________
Dodge 2005 Grand Caravan - minicamper at times.
Ford 1988 E150 Action Conversion Van - camper conversion in progress.
Kawasaki 2005 KLR-650 - excursion vehicle.
LeeRevell is offline  
Old 05-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Franka548's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N E Ohio
Posts: 3,450
well, having been in the fire and EMS service for 27 years, we were taught that you ALWAYS drive in a reasonable manor and drive within the limits of the conditions that are present.
As for the attitude, I am a law abiding citizen but was constantly harassed in my 10 wheelers, even had state patrol lie through their teeth to have a reason to pull me over to inspect my truck. And it was not a junker, it was my livelihood and fairly well maintained, so I have lost much respect for law enforcement, they are more concerned with writing tickets than they are about safety.
Frank
__________________
05 Alfa Gold 40' Motor Home "Goldie" 03 Malibu Toad towing 4 down
03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything Above for sale PM me for details
Franka548 is offline  
Old 05-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
mrt_1111's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 965
Wow. Was the police officer on his way to save someone life? I don't know. Do any of you know? I think I will hold off on the judgement until I really know what happened.
__________________
Mark
1999 Bounder 32H Ford V10, 2012 Ford Focus, Pretty DW, 1 cat. Retired USAF
mrt_1111 is offline  
Old 05-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
this clown should be cited for failure to maintain control of a motor vehicle, reckless driving, and reckless endangerment, he should be stripped of all entitlements. he should also be banned from ever working as an leo in the US. there is never a reason to endanger another human no matter what the reason is.

those poor people deserved none of what they got and i hope they take him and the office to the cleaners. ridicules.
Could also not disagree more with these statements. Based on what you just said they should stay away from any criminal in an effort to prevent endangering those humans from a possible deadly confrontation. That vast majority of law enforcement risk their lives every day for the rest of us to enjoy the safety that we have. While every person and I mean every person has a screw up moment and this falls in line with unfortunate stuff happens. There should and will likely be some sort of disciple but he should learn from it and continue to be an effective LEO.
__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline  
Old 05-29-2014, 10:11 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
IamJerryP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 433
People dislike police, because so many bad policemen have worked so hard at inciting hate.
In other words, the police earned the contempt of the public.
I am a retired Leo, and when I retired, I maintained friendship with about 6 people out of a 500 man department. Because they did not spend their time abusing people.
Face it, Law enforcement draws some less than stellar personalities.
There are plenty of examples daily of cops abusing their authority, and people.
Plenty of examples of them covering up their accidents, and blaming some poor civilian.
I wish it was not true, and so very wish that cops were better than they tend to be.
Food for thought, did you ever notice that sheriffs departments tend to have fewer problem, because the sherif departments are accountable to the voters, while police departments are not directly accountable to an elected official.
__________________
IamJerryP is offline  
Old 05-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Koop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Full Timing
Posts: 745
When I worked as a Sheriff's Deputy, the law in Washington State allowed us to break any rule of the road - AS LONG AS IT WAS SAFE TO DO SO.

An unexpected pool of water on a curve is a hard call. But, I can tell you, having an accident while responding to call, puts the burden of proving the driver of the patrol was driving in a safe, prudent manner on the officer.

At least that's how it worked when I was an LEO in the 1990s.
__________________
Mike
2003 Alpine Coach 40MDTS - 400HP Cummins ISL
Can Am Spyder Roadster
Koop is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 05:05 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
cpaulsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
I couldn't disagree more with your statement.
Same here!!
__________________
cpaulsen is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 05:06 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ocala, Florida
Posts: 6,295
The attitudes displayed here by some against an officer who had an accident is reprehensible. How do any of you know how that large puddle got on the road. There is nothing in this post to suggest the officer was going too fast. Even going relatively slowly, a large puddle can throw any vehicle into an uncontrolled situation.

I have seen many people ignore the laws about pulling over for emergency vehicles time and again. As a volunteer and paid emergency responder for many years I have had people go out of their way to hinder my progress, and flip me the bird when they finally did pull over.

I will always give the emergency responder the respect they deserve, whether police, fire or EMS. They are doing a VERY difficult job and often put their lives on the line doing that job.

Just yesterday a NYS Trooper was doing a traffic stop in Binghamton, NY when a driver admitted to moving from the passing lane to the driving lane to purposely hit the trooper. The trooper was killed instantly leaving a fiancÚ and 2 teenagers with out a spouse and father. This driver then crashed the truck and fled into the woods, only to be found later and arrested. He has been charged with murder. He had previously side swiped 2 other cars on the highway causing minor injuries to other people. There appears to have been NO drugs or alcohol involved.

These are the types of dangers facing emergency responders of all kinds. Just 2 years ago 2 firefighters were shot and killed responding to a intentionally set house fire and 2 others were seriously injured by the same shooter. These were all volunteer firefighters responding on Christmas eve. Again this shows the dangers.

Least we forget how many emergency responders were killed on 9-11.

Please give these brave men and women a break. They put their lives on the line to help us all!
__________________
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 08:42 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladjusted View Post
Not to stir the pot.. but why didn't the Silverado driver immediately stop and pull to the shoulder when the siren was heard and the lights were visable?

I am going to answer that one since it is one of the largest motor vehicle code myths in the country....

IN many states (In fact I know of no exceptions) the law says to get out of the way.. Not "STOP" (Unless you have reason to believe the officer wishes you to stop. IE: He is indicating YOU should pull over). But rather GET OUT OF HIS WAY..

I have seen the Fire Department responding, one assumes, to a fire,, The think about fires is they get worse and worse till the FD can get there and do something about it... Generally this is NOT the case with a police response may be with an Ambulance response (The not breathing child case someone cited above I would want the EMT's to drive swiftly). I have seen drivers stop dead in the middle of the road due to this "Do not move" Myth, completly blocking the path of that fire truck..

No, the Silverado driver most likely was doing the right thing, Slowing a bit and moving to the right lane.

Accidents happen, this is a fact.. I have had friends of mine (I am a retired police dispatcher) Dead cause a mean nasty tree got in their way when they lost control.. Nobody ticketed the tree for failure to move.. Alas,, Same thing happened to my wife but she was (per witnesses, 2 cars worth) doing 50 in a 55 at the time.

On a funny note:

And folks are always complaining "There's never a cop around when you need one" The Silverado driver sure had a cop handy when he had his accident.. Yup, the at fault driver in fact. right there when it happened.


Short: supposed to be true, story.

Officer responding to a property damage accident, One car slide into another.. As he approached the scene, which was a black ice type accident.. HE slid into the party of the part in the first accidenet who said to him: Well,, that's exactly how it happened to me as well.
__________________
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kitts Hill, OH
Posts: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
When I worked as a Sheriff's Deputy, the law in Washington State allowed us to break any rule of the road - AS LONG AS IT WAS SAFE TO DO SO.

An unexpected pool of water on a curve is a hard call. But, I can tell you, having an accident while responding to call, puts the burden of proving the driver of the patrol was driving in a safe, prudent manner on the officer.

At least that's how it worked when I was an LEO in the 1990s.
Worked that way in Ohio from till 2004 When I was a LEO.

I'm sure the officer will see consequences as to what happened. no matter if the public sees it or not.
All eyes are on you as a LEO.
__________________
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
99-Am.Star's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,138
To me it sounds like some of you folks would never complain when it took to long for the officer, fire truck, ambulance ect. to get to you in an emergency. Having driven these vehicles for years I can tell you that you would be telling people it took them 30 minutes to get here when it was only3 minutes. Those who don't do the job these guys do should not attempt to speak on the right or wrong unless you are willing to do their jobs. Just my dimes worth.
__________________
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Red Dawg's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
The attitudes displayed here by some against an officer who had an accident is reprehensible. How do any of you know how that large puddle got on the road. There is nothing in this post to suggest the officer was going too fast. Even going relatively slowly, a large puddle can throw any vehicle into an uncontrolled situation.

I have seen many people ignore the laws about pulling over for emergency vehicles time and again. As a volunteer and paid emergency responder for many years I have had people go out of their way to hinder my progress, and flip me the bird when they finally did pull over.

I will always give the emergency responder the respect they deserve, whether police, fire or EMS. They are doing a VERY difficult job and often put their lives on the line doing that job.

Just yesterday a NYS Trooper was doing a traffic stop in Binghamton, NY when a driver admitted to moving from the passing lane to the driving lane to purposely hit the trooper. The trooper was killed instantly leaving a fiancÚ and 2 teenagers with out a spouse and father. This driver then crashed the truck and fled into the woods, only to be found later and arrested. He has been charged with murder. He had previously side swiped 2 other cars on the highway causing minor injuries to other people. There appears to have been NO drugs or alcohol involved.

These are the types of dangers facing emergency responders of all kinds. Just 2 years ago 2 firefighters were shot and killed responding to a intentionally set house fire and 2 others were seriously injured by the same shooter. These were all volunteer firefighters responding on Christmas eve. Again this shows the dangers.

Least we forget how many emergency responders were killed on 9-11.

Please give these brave men and women a break. They put their lives on the line to help us all!
Well said!!
__________________

__________________
Tom & Barb
Jack and Duke (4 leggers)
06 Monaco LaPalma 36DBD
Red Dawg is offline  
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.