Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #29
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
There is nothing in this post to suggest the officer was going too fast. Even going relatively slowly, a large puddle can throw any vehicle into an uncontrolled situation.!
The crash makes it pretty clear he was traveling too fast for road conditions......
But, it was an accident, and all accidents have a root cause in mistakes, and/or carelessness....
It really is that simple....
Do they fire him for it, of course not, it was an accident, and hopefully he will learn from it. Nobody is perfect, and these things happen.
The problem starts when they lie about it, or try to frame the victim, in order to make sure they stay out of trouble, which does happen.
A girl friends dad got hit by a cop in an intersection, and the cops tried to frame him for it, but fortunately, some guy was watering his lawn, witnessed it, and said the cop turned on his lights, and siren after the accident, in order to make it seem like the poor victim disregarded the officers right of way.
Not the only case, you find hundreds of examples on the net, of such activity by bad cops.
I can't even count the number of officers I saw fired over 20 years, not for the mistake they made, but for what they did in the aftermath, in order to cover up some minor error. The original issue probably would not have even got them in any trouble at all, but their cover up got them fired.
When called by internal affairs, I always said, yep, I did it, and explained what I did, and why, and then went on about my business, never got in any trouble for it.....
Other guys who did similar stuff got fired, for lying, and falsifying paperwork..

As I said, Law Enforcement makes people not trust them, or like them....
If Law Enforcement wants respect from the public, then they/we, need to police ourselves better, and eliminate the scumbags in our midst, and treat the general public with respect, and honesty.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #30
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I worked in Michigan, and though a civilian employee of the department, not an officer, I worked closely with them (like 4 feet).. And, of course, not all departmental vehicle operators are officers.. One of the "Ribbons" a Trooper (or other vehicle operating member) can earn is the Oscar G Oleander Safe Driving award.. 4 years without a chargable accident.. and this means NO DOUBT it was the other guy's fault.. Here is an example of a denial: "The contestant, while exiting the Headquarters Garage, did strike the header" (We worked on that one a while, finally figured he was the departmental tow truck driver, HQ has one, the BOOM hit the header after he "Dropped" (Let off) a car inside the garage) .

If there is any doubt.. Charge goes to the member (Trooper) rather than the civilian.

ON the other hand there is detective Crash.. He takes out a brand new unmakred car, not yet 100 miles on it and as he is going past a stop sign, I will point out the sign was for the road he was NOT on,, CRASH, a violator hits him.... Car is repairable "Dear Corneal. I know it's not yet got 100 miles on it .. but.. It was not my fault.

Time passes, he gets the call to come and get it from the body shop... On his way back to the post....... " Dear Corneal, I know it STILL does not have 100 miles on it but... It's not my fault" . Yup, same intersection.

The "letter" is not accurate, there is actually a form he follows. But you get the idea.

Or one poor car owner,, I have no idea how his accident happened. I was a warehouseman back then working for Sears.. But the body shop... They fixed his car, Painted it, backed it out to move it to the drying bay.... Forgot to open the door... "Dear Sir, there will be a slight delay, no additional charge" Fixed it up, painted it OPENED THE DOOR, backed it out and parked it at the curb while waiting to move it to the drying bay,, Local Moving and Storage driver, backing in bob-tail (without trailer) to pick up the shuttle trailer to take the goods from warehouse to store a few miles away failed to notice car and... Dear sir, there will be ANOTHER slight delay,, This time there is an additional charge but you do not have to pay it".

3 accidents already and the car was still in the body shop from the 1st one. That was the best painted car in Battle Creek!

Home is where I park it!
Old 05-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #31
Being a retired a Deputy Sheriff for over 30 years and a supervisor for 15 of those years in a department with over 3000 sworn officers I can say I have seen it all. The good and the bad. Some encounters civilians have with the responding officer are going to be negative. We don't want it to be that way but controlling many situations in order to maintain officer and civilian safety necessitates upsetting some people. I understand the feelings of some who have commented in a negative way about their police contacts. You didn't like your treatment in that police contact, sorry, in regards to comments about all police officers, too bad for you. Next time you need help in an emergency situation, call one of the other haters who have chimed in on this thread.

Having been a member of this forum for several years I have seen numerous times where the moderator has directed contributors to stay on topic (in this case a horrible accident not an opportunity to vent about personal feelings about all police officers ) or to desist from negative off topic comments. I guess the moderators feel this does not pertain to cop bashing.

As far as this thread goes, this was a terrible ACCIDENT that thank God did not cause any serious injuries. The couple that was hit will be unfortunately inconvenienced due to this accident but will be made whole and probably more. The officer will be disciplined. To all on this forum, be safe and enjoy your life. Whether you like police or not, they will always be there for you if you need them regardless of your personal feelings.
2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C, 2016 Wrangler, 2013 Harley Electraglide
Old 05-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #32
Can a moderator close this thread? I was just showing what happened in an accident to a fellow RVer, I never intended to have a cop bashing thread.

It was an ACCIDENT that happened on a curve with limited site and the officer probably didn't see the puddle in time, and the RVer probably didn't have time to slow and allow a greater right of way for the emergency vehicle.

Bob and sometimes - Nina - a Staffordshire Terrier/a SPOILED pit and her kitty Spaz
2006 Dodge SLT 2500 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab w/AT and 3.73
2007 Salem Sport LE 26FBSRV (TH) w/ my Victory Motorcycle in it or a EZ GO Shuttle cart.
Closed Thread