Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #1

Cop car vs truck and TT

In the local news; St. Johns County cruiser hits truck, camper trailer | News - Home

ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. - A St. Johns County deputy responding to an emergency call was shaken up Monday afternoon when his cruiser hit a truck and the camper trailer it was towing.
The crash occurred on County Road 210 at the intersection with 16A.
The deputy, 23-year-old Bray Taylor, was driving in emergency mode with his marked patrol car's lights and siren on when he struck a large puddle of water on a curve and lost control of his vehicle.
The front of the patrol car hit a Chevrolet Silverado traveling eastbound on CR 16A and the camper trailer it was towing before the patrol car went into a ditch on the westbound shoulder of the road.
The driver of the Silverado, 70-year-old John Mack, and his passenger, Linda Mack, 65, had minor injuries and were not hospitalized. Taylor also had minor injuries, and the cruiser had to be towed from the scene.

Glad no one was seriously injured - things can be replaced.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Boy he sure tore up that truck & trailer. Glad that no-one was seriously hurt. Looks like another couple of feet would have turned that into an ugly head-on.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I wonder if the deputy got a ticket for failure to control or driving too fast for conditions? Glad no one was seriously hurt.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
I wonder if the deputy got a ticket for failure to control or driving too fast for conditions? Glad no one was seriously hurt.
That would depend on Florida's laws and the officer that writes the report.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Old 05-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
More likely to ticket the trailer owner for interfering with the crashing of a police vehicle
Old 05-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Are they not supposed to set an example? He should be charged the same as any other driver that did the same thing.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:03 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I can relate to the officer. Hitting an unexpected abnormal road condition can have unexpected results.

It is a minor miracle no one was seriously hurt. I'm glad I do not live in St. John's county because they will be purchasing a new truck and camper for this unlucky driver and his DW.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-29-2014, 06:32 AM   #8

Something like this always reminds me of those cheesy radio and TV ads, "Uh oh! Better get MAACO!" ;-)
Old 05-29-2014, 06:58 AM   #9

Franka
I strongly suspect the deputy involved will face more disciplinary action, both formal and informal, than any citizen who receives a ticket. I don't know about St John's Sheriff's, but of those departments issuing take home patrol cars, once you wreck yours then its replacement is likely to be slow in coming and not as nice as the one totaled. The deputy in charge of issuing new vehicles will have a long memory concerning the issuance of new cars to those who have destroyed one previously. My experience operating a take home cruiser ended long before all the computer and other electronics were routinely fitted to each patrol car, making a wreck even more expensive to the agency. Of course the Sheriff will have to pay for the truck and trailer, too.
It would be similar to the average citizen having repercussions at his/her job after having an accident. But I do understand the antipathy directed toward law enforcement. Its a very American attitude. Thank Goodness no one appears to have been hurt.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
Old 05-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #10

"The deputy, 23-year-old Bray Taylor, was driving in emergency mode with his marked patrol car's lights and siren on when he struck a large puddle of water on a curve and lost control of his vehicle."

This situation is not the same as a civilian losing control due to wreckless driving or some other controllable situation.

The officer was responding to an emergency. If it was an emergency involving your son or daughter drowning or a parent suffering a heart attack, would you want that officer to drive slowly and with great caution?

The officer did not intentionally wreck the tow vehicle and camper... It was an unfortunate accident. I am glad everyone is ok.

Not to stir the pot.. but why didn't the Silverado driver immediately stop and pull to the shoulder when the siren was heard and the lights were visable?

I am not a LEO nor a first responder, but I do have tremendous respect for the work these men and women do... I will do everything possible to give them the room they need to respond in an emergency.

Mal
Old 05-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #11

It was an accident and it happened on a curve. The driver of the truck probably didn't have enough warning to slow down in order to move over for the emergency vehicle. I didn't post this to cause controversy, I just wanted to show what can happen and for everyone to be safety minded.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnwalter View Post
Franka
But I do understand the antipathy directed toward law enforcement. Its a very American attitude. Thank Goodness no one appears to have been hurt.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
Now,see, I DON'T understand the antipathy toward law enforcement. I can see convicted felons, drug dealers, criminals of a general nature, etc not liking law enforcement, but the average law abiding American having an anti-cop attitude baffles me. And while you say it is a "very typical American" attitude, I really don't believe it is all that prevalent.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
Now,see, I DON'T understand the antipathy toward law enforcement. I can see convicted felons, drug dealers, criminals of a general nature, etc not liking law enforcement, but the average law abiding American having an anti-cop attitude baffles me. And while you say it is a "very typical American" attitude, I really don't believe it is all that prevalent.
I don't either. My experience is that, while there are some bad apples, most police are good people who have a tough job I don't think most of use could (or would want to) handle day-to-day.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #14
laj

this clown should be cited for failure to maintain control of a motor vehicle, reckless driving, and reckless endangerment, he should be stripped of all entitlements. he should also be banned from ever working as an leo in the US. there is never a reason to endanger another human no matter what the reason is.

those poor people deserved none of what they got and i hope they take him and the office to the cleaners. ridicules.
Closed Thread