Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2016, 12:10 AM   #1

Cordless chargers and RV'ing

For all the cordless devices that need chargers, especially the permanently mounted ones (i.e. a cordless vacuum that's sitting on its base at all time), what happens when the RV is not on shore power? Do people go around the RV disconnecting all possible chargers or is the draw from all the chargers not something to worry about?

(Note: our first RV is on order and I have been researching what to bring for a little while, and the question of "vampire power" has been on my mind -- I don't know how these things come into play when boondocking etc).

Thanks,

Vince.
vmallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2016, 12:35 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The typical RV will have no juice on the 110VAC plugs unless on generator, or shore power.

However, many RV's have or can be retrofitted with an inverter or combination inverter/converter-charger.

The RV's with an inverter (uses the house batteries to power the 110V plugs) are typically not a "whole-house" system (meaning that it is not powering everything) and will only provide juice to a few select outlets like the plug for the TV, plug for DVD/SAT receiver, and maybe the microwave and a plug or 2 for charging a cell phone, laptop, or camera battery charger.

If your RV has an inverter that feeds everything, you might be inclined to unplug charging stations like for a cordless vacuum...or these "vampires" will drain your house batteries over time.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:09 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All outlets in our coach are on inverter. I have all such chargers on one outlet near the dining table. Phones and such are placed there to charge. A switched power strip is used so as to be able to disconnect if wanted.

When boondocking and wanting to conserve house battery power we charge devices when solar or generator is active.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If those chargers (etc) are on inverter-powered outlets, yes you should unplug them. Some of them are smart enough to have essentially zero draw when idle, but the run-of-the-mill ones will all be sucking small amounts of power and that adds up quickly when inverting. Plus the inverter itself will have a "idle" power draw.

My Samsung smart phone charger goes to an actual zero amp draw when the phone is unplugged, but not all of them are that kind.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:02 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I checked what outlets are on our inverter by unplugging the coach and then testing them all to see what is hot. I'm sure there is a schematic to see but that was easy. We try not to use any of them for things like the little cordless vacuum.

For short periods of time I would not worry about it but for extended time keeping that stuff off the inverter will save your batteries. Those jump start packs that have a 12v power outlet are handy to charge small stuff like your cell phone.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:12 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Also not mentioned is some of these small chargers don't like modified sine wave power! I think the older type that actually used a small transformer worked ok, but many of the new ones are not, and depending upon how it's designed and built could overheat or malfunction unless fed with pure sine wave power.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:15 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Also not mentioned is some of these small chargers don't like modified sine wave power! I think the older type that actually used a small transformer worked ok, but many of the new ones are not, and depending upon how it's designed and built could overheat or malfunction unless fed with pure sine wave power.
Maybe some, but I have not encountered such a problem with many years of camping with MSW inverters.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #8

Thanks for all your replies. Once we get our RV I will run around to check which plugs are live when using the inverter and think of the switchable power strip idea for the worst vampire chargers we have.

Vince.
vmallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmallet View Post
For all the cordless devices that need chargers, especially the permanently mounted ones (i.e. a cordless vacuum that's sitting on its base at all time), what happens when the RV is not on shore power? Do people go around the RV disconnecting all possible chargers or is the draw from all the chargers not something to worry about?

(Note: our first RV is on order and I have been researching what to bring for a little while, and the question of "vampire power" has been on my mind -- I don't know how these things come into play when boondocking etc).

Thanks,

Vince.
Our coahc doesn't have an inverter so we unplug everything we can prior to powering down from shore power or generator.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:38 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Our coahc doesn't have an inverter so we unplug everything we can prior to powering down from shore power or generator.

Why? If you don't have an inverter turning off the pedestal breaker and unplugging (or shutting down the generator) leaves those outlets unpowered. There would be no vampire power draw.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:08 AM   #11

I am mounting the chargers in a basement area and will stay plugged. We don't have an inverter, so it will only get power when the genny is on or when we are on shore power. To me this isn't a problem as they will hold a charge for a while.
CarolynanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Three answers depending on why it is not on shore power.

1: Cordless chargers will not discharge the device battery.. They are protected against that.

2: If you have no power to the outlet.. It's "Unplugged" in a manner of speaking BUT if your outlets are powered by an inverter,,, You may consider.. Provided you need the inverter

3: If in storage, not occupied, disable inverter (TURN OFF)

Tags
rving