Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #1

Corelle - Picky, picky, bitch, bitch, bitch... LOL

OK, here's one maybe you haven't heard before... I like it when things that should be easy, are easy. This includes washing dishes. As a new RVer I ordered a 4 place serving of Corelle. I was washing the dinnerware at home in preparation for taking it to my RV when I discovered an annoying problem: the dishes stick together and it's very difficult to separate them from one another I discovered this after I'd soaped them up and stacked them in preparation for rinsing. When I went to rinse them it was very difficult to get the edge of my finer or fingernail between the dinner plates to separate them. I've never had such difficulty washing dishes before and I'm giving serious thought to returning the Corelle because this is exactly the kind of little niggling problem that I find very annoying.

Yes, I know, I can probably come up with some little strategy to circumvent the issue, and I may very well decide to live with the problem by developing a special Correlle-dinnerware-dish-washing-strategy, but really, should that be necessary? If the designers had actually used their own product they might have discovered this annoying property and reshaped the dishes just a smidge so as to eliminate the problem.

Has anyone found another lightweight, microwave safe, damage resistant type of dinnerware or developed their own Correlle-dinnerware-dish-washing-strategy?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Making things more difficult is not part of the RV Way. Our first MH promptly threw the Corelle ware on the floor and broke, this is not good as it shattered like glass, lots of small sharp pieces. We went with plastic and paper, along with micro-safe containers for storing and reheating.

Fred

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #3

We have used corelle ware in our camper for years without any problems. When we wash the dishes we stagger them and this seems to work well. We also have some plastic plates,bowls and glasses which have worked well for us.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hopefully you can find something more soothing to use, we are free of Corelle Wear angst. This is why:

We have Corelle wear and have had for eleven years, same set. We have a dish rack in our rinse sink and all dishes are put in there after washing and rinsed then nicely seperated; all dishes are welcome regardless of name or origin. None has ever treated us a poorly as your Corelle wear is treating you.

Capillary action is a bitch, but it is a force of nature which, the more perfect the plate, the better the action. You need a less refined lumpy plate. Forget light weight, damage resistant and microwave safe go for imperfections which will break the bond holding the plates.

Mel mac has made some perfectly awful well separating plates you may consider.

Obviously this feels personal and I would recommend you return the Corelle wear with a stern letter and admonish them severely for this over sight. They can laugh along with you, me and who ever else finds this amusing.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
njs42 you really crack me up sometimes.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We have microwave and oven safe china. We have mason jars for most drinks and some other glass wear. Have had them for a few years now in the RV that we live full time in. So far (knock on wood with my clumsiness ) no breakage.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #7

Before you throw out the Corelle, you might try running a bead of silicone around the bottom along the raised defining circle in the plate. To ensure an even bead, use a square of waxed paper that covers the bead and lightly turn over the plate onto the waxed paper(on a nice even surface) and let the silicone set up. Now you'll have a gap between the plates, have a built in anti rattle barrier while stacked in the cabinet and the suckers will not slide around on uneven surfaces.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe you need to use wetter water on the rinse.

Ken
Old 12-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #9

Have had Corelle dishes since they first came on the market. Have washed them in dishwashers as well as by hand & have never had a problem with the dishes sticking together (even when the grandkids help). Sorry, but have no secrets here to eliminate sticking.

Martha
Old 12-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok, so I am dense. I wash each plate then rinse it off, put it in the dish rack which sits on one of those dry mats on the counter. Never stick together. I have never even thought to wash, stack and then try to rinse everything at one time. Am I dumb or what! Worked for 40 years for me and my Corelle.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
We have Corelle wear and have had for eleven years, same set. We have a dish rack in our rinse sink and all dishes are put in there after washing and rinsed then nicely seperated...

Obviously this feels personal and I would recommend you return the Corelle wear with a stern letter and admonish them severely for this over sight. They can laugh along with you, me and who ever else finds this amusing.
Hahah, yes, it's amusing. Regarding your process of using the dish rack during the washing phase, isn't there a law against that? Hahah. Kidding. I do like your suggestion, though. You're a genius! That might actually work for me. More often than not, at home, I have clean dry dishes in there and I'd have to change my modus operandi a wee bit for RVing, but it could happen.

Here's a question for you... so you've got your soapy dishes in the dish rack, do you take them out one by one to rinse, and if so, where do you put the wet, rinsed dishes while there are still soapy ones in the rack? What's your method? This is obviously too complicated for me to handle by myself

I'll send a scathing letter to the dimwits at Correlle anyway. Already have, actually. They are going to modify their entire production line to accommodate my brilliant suggestion. Just you wait!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
As I see it you are washing the plates in soapy water and 'stacking' them into the side sink?
( I wash cutlery and mugs first and use them to lean plates against,easier to rinse also)

Most dishes 'stacked' will stick together.they need to be placed on their edges and off center, or better still in one of those wee dish drainers, easy rinse with hot water, air dry and into cupboard, I have used small squares of the rubber grip mat in between the plates for travel, or if you can find a wooden plate separator it fits in the cupboard.

BTW, next time ANYTHING sticks without mercy just submerge into deep water and it will release, (flower pots, glasses. and anything else that can 'fit and stick ' releases with this method... Just a few thoughts...
Old 12-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Here's a question for you... so you've got your soapy dishes in the dish rack, do you take them out one by one to rinse, and if so, where do you put the wet, rinsed dishes while there are still soapy ones in the rack? What's your method? This is obviously too complicated for me to handle by myself

Wet soapy dishes, separated in dish rack get a couple of pots of hot water over them and a clean dishtowel tossed over them and left to air dry ... towel is in case a wind blows any dust / dirt in the door don't want any 'true grit' on my clean dishes!!

10 - 15 min. Air- dry and into cupboard, cutlery usually gets towel dried ...
Old 12-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #14

Light bulb just came on....Use a glass drill bit and drill hole in center of each plate....no more water tension,vacuum,temperature differential, or whatever force will hold your plates together.

Glad to be of help

Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote