Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 AM   #1

Cornerstone Extended Warranty experiences?

Does anyone have direct experience with a Cornerstone Extended Warranty? I'm considering buying and would like to know if you are happy with their product and service. Thank you

Fla2RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Was waiting to see if there were smarter members than me... All warranty companies are in business to make money.. I have had 4 or 5 different companies...Somethings they pay for others they didn't. If your dealer has a good relationship with that company and that dealer is going to do the service and you trust them... Go for it !

Best of Luck ... D

Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #3

Glad to see this thread. We are also considering buying an extended warranty and were wondering if most RVers do get the extended warranty or not. Our 24' RV is one year old, the factory warranty is just about to expire, and we felt we wanted to stay covered. We are full timers, this is our only home.... We've checked with Good Sam, and have heard of Cornerstone, but do not even know who else provides extended warranties, and would be grateful for any info other members could provide.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had our 2002 DSDP for 9 years now. We've had nothing go wrong that a service policy (they're NOT a "warranty" no matter what their name is) would cover. In my lifetime we've bought three, never needed nor collected a dime from any of them. Probably out about $5,000 so far.
The insurance company won't stay in business if they pay out more than they take in. You're betting you have lots of trouble that you can collect from them on, they're betting that you don't have any trouble OR that they wrote the contract tight enough that they can wiggle out of paying most claims.
If you're worried about having lots of trouble then maybe you should take up another hobby or a higher quality rig.
Consumer Reports says NOT to buy them also.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have the $$ to spend........and it is an exclusionary service contract.......and it is backed by a stable insurance company (see www.weissratings.com).......and you want peace of mind...........go ahead and buy it.

The determining factor is cost. Everyone would buy a 7 year, 70,000 mile service contract......if the price was $50.00.....or $150.00......or $550.00.......NO, WAIT, $550. is TOO MUCH.

Shop around.....
Old 10-28-2011, 07:02 AM   #6

My proposed contract is for 5 years/60k miles, I am currently out of coach warranty and have 2 years left on chassis; the cost is under $2500 with a one hundred dollar deductible. So it breaks down (pun intended) to less than $500 per year. Considering my fridge alone is $3500, 2 a/c's , generator, transfer switch, slides, seals, and so many other systems, I'm thinking it is cheap peace of mind. If I find it is not what I expected, it is pro-rated cancellable and/or can be transferred to a new owner.
I just wanted to know if anyone had direct experience having a repair covered by Cornerstone, and how they were to deal with. I did not want another debate on whether or not is is worth it. It's worth it for some and not for others, I understand that.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought our coach used and are the second owners of it. We knew the previous owners. We bought it from General RV in Michigan and also purchased the Cornerstone extended warrenty.

This summer we had a problem with the basement air/heat pump unit. The duct that runs up the back of the coach (between the back wall of the coach and the outside fiberglass cap) had opened up in a spot and would require the back fiberglass cap to be removed in order to make the proper repairs. I called General RV and was quoted a figure of about $2000 to make the repairs. I told them I had the Cornerstone extended warrenty. The lady called Cornerstone and then called me back and told me that I would have to pay the deductable of $100.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #8

Thank you, that is the kind of feedback I was hoping for.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:39 PM   #9

Cornerstone Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla2RI View Post
Thank you, that is the kind of feedback I was hoping for.
Just saw your question about Cornerstone and see that it was posted 5 years ago. But here is my two cents. I have owned 2 motorhomes and bought Cornerstone with both of them. I have collected more than the cost of the plan both times and would buy Cornerstone again. They have been super to deal with. I have replaced hydraulic jack pump, rooftop A/C, hydraulic jack control panel, hot water heater, transfer switch, dash A/C unit. Then when I traded I cancelled the policy and got unearned premium refunded.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #10

I have Cornerstone and so far they have covered a few small items (rearview mirror camera for example) with no problems. At this point I'm glad I have the policy.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #11

I believe that this posting is direct from the Twilight Zone. The posting is from October 2011, but Fla2RI signs off as owning a 2016 Fleetwood Discovery and a 2014 Honda CR-V and Dixieray53 has a 2016 Thor Windsport and a 2015 Fusion.

Anyhow, I've had mixed results with Cornerstone. They paid out and replaced 2 airbags and a radiator on the generator, but they would not cover a leaking timing belt gasket.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm a big fan but this wouldn't make the show. Updated signatures apply to all previous threads/ posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedvr View Post
I believe that this posting is direct from the Twilight Zone. The posting is from October 2011, but Fla2RI signs off as owning a 2016 Fleetwood Discovery and a 2014 Honda CR-V and Dixieray53 has a 2016 Thor Windsport and a 2015 Fusion.

Anyhow, I've had mixed results with Cornerstone. They paid out and replaced 2 airbags and a radiator on the generator, but they would not cover a leaking timing belt gasket.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla2RI View Post
Does anyone have direct experience with a Cornerstone Extended Warranty? I'm considering buying and would like to know if you are happy with their product and service. Thank you

Since it is bumped back to the top anyway perhaps the OP could tell us if he bought warranty and give us his experience with the company.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Since it is bumped back to the top anyway perhaps the OP could tell us if he bought warranty and give us his experience with the company.
Second that. This post caught my eye as I am about to use my conerstone warranty in the next week or so.

I will try to remember to update once the work is done. So far all good, called conerstone and they were good on the phone explaining what i needed to do to make the claim easy......nothing hard.........called the place i am taking it and they were fine with conerstone. Ony hitch was they would not see me on a friday for warranty work because there is sometimes a small delay in getting it approved and they did not want me stuck all weekend if approval did not come back on time on a friday afternoon.

jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote