Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wrap your wrench with elect. tape, or srink wrap all but the jaws. Remove rings and watch. Don,t drop metel frame glasses on to the batterys. Where old clothes, safety glasses.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #16
DKO

A Little Clarification...

Thanks for all the help, guys...

Dave,

By cross-connect leads do you mean the battery to battery connections?

I know this may blow some minds (It did mine but simple minds are easily amazed) but I have a very nice cable going from the positive on one battery to the negative on the battery that is feeding the equalizer. I asked a friend that has some experience in 24v systems and he said that is proper even though he can't explain why. Any idea how to remove and install that lead? Or is that what you meant by "cross-connect"?

Thanks a again for your help. I am glad I have a few weeks to work all of this out in my mind...

DKO
Old 12-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #17
DKO

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Wrap your wrench with elect. tape, or srink wrap all but the jaws. Remove rings and watch. Don,t drop metel frame glasses on to the batterys. Where old clothes, safety glasses.
All good advice...

DKO
Old 12-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #18

Yes - cables going from negative to positive posts on a series battery connection (i.e: two 12 VDC batteries connected in series to make 24VDC). Or, negative to negative / positive to positive; parrallel connection used to increase amperage (AH) but maintian same voltage.
I am not familure with 24VDC systems so not sure what you mean by equalizer. I am off to do x-mas shopping so if you reply my response will be later today.

D
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #19
DKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Yes - cables going from negative to positive posts on a series battery connection (i.e: two 12 VDC batteries connected in series to make 24VDC). Or, negative to negative / positive to positive; parrallel connection used to increase amperage (AH) but maintian same voltage.
I am not familure with 24VDC systems so not sure what you mean by equalizer. I am off to do x-mas shopping so if you reply my response will be later today.

D
I have four chassis batteries. They feed the equalizer that in turn distributes 24v where needed (Starter, various relays and maybe other things) and 12v where needed (Running lights, head lights and such.) It is mounted directly above my batteries in the engine compartment. I have a disconnect switch for both 24v and 12v.

The equalizer is one of the reasons I on here asking questions. it is just one more thing that I do NOT want to burn up.

I am definitely in the baby steps of learning about this...

Have fun shopping...

DKO
Old 12-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You've gotten great advice. When removing the wires from our batteries, I tie all of the leads that go on one post together with binder's twine. That way, there is no confusion about what goes where. There is never more than one piece of twine open at one time. The cross connect wire can be handled separately.

I'd also recommend cleaning each and every surface on the lugs. You will never position the wires exactly as they were and a little build up on one of the lugs can insulate it and cause you fits after you put everything back together. It doesn't take long to wire brush tops and bottoms, examining each surface as you go. I recommend a mask while you are doing it. My paranoia causes me to double check the tightness of each lug on its wire as I go. A wire could be slipping out of its lug, already have corrosion built up inside and you might not catch it.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKO

I have four chassis batteries. They feed the equalizer that in turn distributes 24v where needed (Starter, various relays and maybe other things) and 12v where needed (Running lights, head lights and such.) It is mounted directly above my batteries in the engine compartment. I have a disconnect switch for both 24v and 12v.

The equalizer is one of the reasons I on here asking questions. it is just one more thing that I do NOT want to burn up.

I am definitely in the baby steps of learning about this...

Have fun shopping...

DKO
I am also confused, you have 12v batteries connected in series to get 24v? I didn't know an rv would have any 24v circuits. I also don't know what is an equalizer?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are you sure your batteries are 12v? Could they be 6v batteries?
Old 12-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #23
DKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I am also confused, you have 12v batteries connected in series to get 24v? I didn't know an rv would have any 24v circuits. I also don't know what is an equalizer?

Yes, four 12v batteries. Pretty standard in big trucks and buses that need 24v to start. They are group 31 batteries, specifically Interstate Workaholic 31 MHD batteries with 950CCA. Google will tell you all about them.

As I said, "They feed the equalizer that in turn distributes 24v where needed (Starter, various relays and maybe other things) and 12v where needed (Running lights, head lights and such.) It is mounted directly above my batteries in the engine compartment. I have a disconnect switch for both 24v and 12v."

I don't blame you for asking for clarification. I sure didn't know any of this 4 years ago.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
For those of you that have DP's, many diesel engines we had in our equipment (heavy construction) used a 24v system for starting, and 12v for all lights, turn signals, heaters etc. Very common when I use to have to work for a living.
Piledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #25

As already recommended old clothes cause the battery acjd will turn them old fast.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #26
DKO

Thank you

I sure appreciate everybody chiming in with information and helpful advice. If any one else has anything that has been overlooked please feel free to express yourself. I always need the help.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After posting I took a look see at your equipment, and then I googled it. WOW! Some nice ride, I did not know just how much power those things required. I thought my 40 ft Holiday Rambler was complex, nothing compared to yours. We both have lots to learn.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
You've gotten great advice. When removing the wires from our batteries, I tie all of the leads that go on one post together with binder's twine. That way, there is no confusion about what goes where. There is never more than one piece of twine open at one time. The cross connect wire can be handled separately.

I'd also recommend cleaning each and every surface on the lugs. You will never position the wires exactly as they were and a little build up on one of the lugs can insulate it and cause you fits after you put everything back together. It doesn't take long to wire brush tops and bottoms, examining each surface as you go. I recommend a mask while you are doing it. My paranoia causes me to double check the tightness of each lug on its wire as I go. A wire could be slipping out of its lug, already have corrosion built up inside and you might not catch it.
I use electrical cable ties to keep all cables together for each terminal. Easy to tie together and just cut it off when reattaching to post. Also can color code each terminal with different color ties.
CarlGeo
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, replacement