Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #29
DKO

Red face Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
After posting I took a look see at your equipment, and then I googled it. WOW! Some nice ride, I did not know just how much power those things required. I thought my 40 ft Holiday Rambler was complex, nothing compared to yours. We both have lots to learn.
Thanks

Like I said on another thread, I nearly lost my mind with this thing when I first bought it. I purchased it after it was several years old and having sat for about a year and a half. All of its problems brought it into my price range but brought the headaches too.

The electrical systems drove me crazy. 24v and 12v for the chassis and 12v and 110v for the house. All of them meet in one panel area. I was never sure if things didn't work or if I just didn't have a clue how to make them work. Believe me.. I am still learning.

I can say enough good things about folks that have been willing to help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #30
DKO

Lightbulb Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post
I use electrical cable ties to keep all cables together for each terminal. Easy to tie together and just cut it off when reattaching to post. Also can color code each terminal with different color ties.
CarlGeo

Great! Like I said in the original question I plan to number each wire with the corresponding post number and I had thought of fastening them together but had not really considered wire ties. That is a great idea. I always keep some of those around and use them often...

Thank you very much.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #31

Now that I am a little smarter about what an equalizer is, I gather you have a chassis battery set up simular to the following. I seperated one series set (A2/B2) out. Not sure if yours is like that so you need to make a real diagram of your set up if this is not it.

I take it you have the manual for your equalizer which should be something like this: http://www.vanner.com/wp-content/upl.../D013444-F.pdf
From reading that I see that to maintain proper battery charging it is very important to get it wired back correctly.
Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #32

Now some more
Found this posting:Print Page - Prevost battery question
In that there is a posting by Prevostman that says:

Quote:
Adding to the confusion is when the discussion swings over to the chassis and not the house. The chassis on all the Prevosts I have seen has 4 group 31 batteries connected in series and parallel and the chassis uses a pair of 50 amp Vanner Equalizers, or on later models a single 100 amp Vanner equalizer (like the house on a 24 volt Elegant Lady.) The wiring diagram for the chassis batteries is oin the RH engine side door next to the batteries and it is VITAL they get connected together in that fashion.

If this is a chassis issue and not a house issue all the electrical diagrams specific to the serial number of the coach can be found here: Prevost - Publication technique -Intranet (Prevost - Publication technique -Intranet)
So 4 batteries is normal. I do not have your chassis data required to use the linked web page (Prevost - Publication technique -Intranet) but I would think you want that as a minimum.

And wiring color things like the following are real handy to know:

Red = 24 volts
Yellow= 12
Black = ground

You can do this and your upfront research will keep you out of trouble.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Eventually in RVs ???

Here is a look at the future.

The Hybrid Car Battery: A Definitive Guide | Hybrid Cars

Delphi Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack Systems

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid03.pdf

HowStuffWorks "Containing Hybrid Voltage"
Old 12-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #34

Grease
Get a tube of electrical grease and slather it on all connections measure but keeps the connections good
Old 12-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #35
DKO

Talking Terrific Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Now some more
Found this posting:Print Page - Prevost battery question
In that there is a posting by Prevostman that says:

So 4 batteries is normal. I do not have your chassis data required to use the linked web page (Prevost - Publication technique -Intranet) but I would think you want that as a minimum.

And wiring color things like the following are real handy to know:

Red = 24 volts
Yellow= 12
Black = ground

You can do this and your upfront research will keep you out of trouble.

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Now that I am a little smarter about what an equalizer is, I gather you have a chassis battery set up simular to the following. I seperated one series set (A2/B2) out. Not sure if yours is like that so you need to make a real diagram of your set up if this is not it.

I take it you have the manual for your equalizer which should be something like this: http://www.vanner.com/wp-content/upl.../D013444-F.pdf
From reading that I see that to maintain proper battery charging it is very important to get it wired back correctly.
Dave
Wow! Thanks for all the information in these posts. I am not sure the diagram is exactly like mine but is is definitely close. Thanks for the links and all.. On my way to check the links now.

God bless,
DKO
Old 12-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #36
DKO

I wondered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Grease
Get a tube of electrical grease and slather it on all connections measure but keeps the connections good
Thanks for that. I use that on light bulbs outside. I wondered what to put on the connections. Once I have everything put back together it is impossible to keep an eye on those connections on a daily basis. I have seen guys spray a red stuff on the connections but not sure what it was.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
I use the red and black felt washer on the post and the red spray and vasalene... over kill but I did not want to do it again anytime soon...
TDiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiGuy View Post
I use the red and black felt washer on the post and the red spray and vasalene... over kill but I did not want to do it again anytime soon...
Same, but NO red stuff. I had to 'rescue' my ex one time because she let a 'boyfriend' put the red stuff on the cable ends when installing a new battery. He had put the red stuff on first, the n put the cables on the posts.

Thus...no connection. Went over there and cleaned it off, re-installed the terminals, and walla, started right up.

Lesson learned.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #39

Do yourself a favor and wire ty the wires on each post together so you don't start swapping the little ones around.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Several weeks ago I had may batteries replaced by a mobile tech. One of the things he did that interested me was that he zip tied all of the cables together from each terminal. When it was time to replace the cables he knew which ons went on each terminal. I think that is better than paint.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcphil_98 View Post
Several weeks ago I had may batteries replaced by a mobile tech. One of the things he did that interested me was that he zip tied all of the cables together from each terminal. When it was time to replace the cables he knew which ons went on each terminal. I think that is better than paint.
That is exactly what I do, and posted the same two days ago. Very clean and no question about what goes where.
CarlGeo
Old 12-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
INTERESTING FACT;
On my 2004 Winnebago I have a built in clock next to my bed. After changing Batteries the clock no longer worked ! It turns out that you have to disconnect the clock and plug it back in and it then works just fine.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, replacement