Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #15

FWIW The major issue I have seen talked about is selling the house. People that sell the house to buy the MH get caught in the depreciation cycle of the MH. Those that buy the MH then sell the house and save the money can go back to a S&B later if they want to. Some do, some do not depending on health and other issues. The point is to be sure you can make the second change if you want/need to.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2016, 06:51 PM   #16

I think if you explore this full-time bloggers site you'll find a lot of your answers. She's written articles on most aspects of full-timing.

RV Tips & Practical Stuff – Wheeling It

I see you're from So. California. That might be a reason right there to sell the house and take off.

Full-timing can cost as much as you want. If your lifestyle now is expensive as to your hobbies, entertainment, restaurants, then you'll probably stay with the same lifestyle as you travel. If you don't spend much on entertainment and restaurants then you probably won't as you travel. Full-timers live on many budgets. Some rarely go into RV parks but boondock instead. Some stay in RV 'resorts' for months. There is no one good way to full-time. It depends on you.

We full-timed for 16 years and we began in our early 50's as we were 'downsized' from our jobs. We knew we didn't want to spend winters in the north anymore. We made our full-timing decision in May, sold the house and everything in it and took off in August in a 33' 5th wheel and diesel truck. It was like a huge weight lifted from our shoulders. We joined Escapees RV Club and really got involved with it. We met many wonderful people throughout our travels through it. We used their mail service with no issues.

Throughout our lives we were never in debt except for home payments. When we sold the house it was paid for. We invested that money. Eight years later we were ready for another RV and friends got us hooked on Jeeping so we bought the 40' motorhome and Jeep. We never did like driving the truck. The Jeep gave us many hours of enjoyment.

We rarely used RV parks as we enjoy the outdoors, bigger camp sites and scenery. We stayed in national parks, national forest campgrounds, state parks, Corp of Engineer parks, county and city parks. We also found awesome places to boondock. We discovered that we enjoyed traveling in the western states the most. We've spent two summers in Alaska, spent ten days rafting through the Grand Canyon, climbed mountains and many other experiences.

We also volunteered in national and state parks quite often. This saved a campsite fee but also gave us purpose. We zeroed in on our favorite of giving lighthouse tours.

After 16 years we felt we did our bucket list. We had returned many times to our favorite places. We wintered with a large group of Escapee friends who also full-timed as long as we did. Now, all 23 couples have moved to the same 55+ community in Arizona. We partake in many activities with them. We are so fortunate.

Along our travels we easily dealt with major illnesses and surgeries. We could go to the best facilities in the country because of full-timing. It's easy to recuperate in a RV.

Our children didn't even stay in our old hometown so had we stayed there they'd be gone anyway. Our grandchildren grew up with us full-timing so it was natural to them. Back in those days we didn't have internet or a cell phone. We sent them many postcards and talked from a payphone. They visited us in special places and we took them on trips in our RV. We'd drive to spend a couple weeks with them but thankfully, we didn't have to stay with them. We had our own home. We were there for many of the grandchildren's milestones including the first day of school, special sport games, plays, concerts, etc. When we gave up full-timing they were honestly very disappointed. It was part of their life and they miss it as much as we do at times.

So...we went from a 2500 sq ft house to a 1,000 sq ft house with absolutely no upkeep. The house came completely furnished with excellent décor to match the Arizona desert so we didn't have to buy a thing. We are so fortunate to having been able to full-time but now we're very happy to have found a place we love with many friends around us.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:43 PM   #17

Cost of going Full Time

I'm sure that if you just DO IT and wake up every day and say "We get to live like this?" nothing else will matter.
Don't sweat the small stuff.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I kind of agree with CampDaven, Don't over think it, just do it, if you find out that you don't like it, then go back to your S&B. We took off right after retirement almost 4 years ago, I spent a month at a local campgrounds while DW finished up working, to make sure I had what we needed then took off. DW's son bought the S&B so we have a storage place and a mail drop, he sends us whatever mail we need right away and we go back home once a year to do taxes, renew licenses etc. and we take care of the rest of the mail. We workkamp in the winter in Florida, so expenses are minimal. during spring, summer and fall, we generally take a couple of sightseeing trips of a couple weeks to a couple months. As long as we are healthy, I can't see us doing anything else. And when we can't or don't want to drive the unit anymore, we will park one in the warm weather for winter and buy another one to leave up north someplace for the summers, with an inexpensive car at each place and fly back and forth in the spring and fall. If you want to know more or have questions, just send me a PM and we can converse or call.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We are so fortunate to having been able to full-time but now we're very happy to have found a place we love with many friends around us.

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:34 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I must thank you all for your giving up this information. It means a lot to me. I'm ready myself, I'm still working, but should have retired come 4 years ago. Thought I wanted to go to 70, but not so much anymore. I'm in good health, so no issues there. I figure by this time next year, we should be well on our way. No-one here in So California anymore all the kids are spread out across the country.
Again, I can't thank everyone enough.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #21

In my opinion the best thing you can do for yourself before embarking on the full time adventure is to be debt free.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
In my opinion the best thing you can do for yourself before embarking on the full time adventure is to be debt free.
Couldn't agree more, been that sense I was 65
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
All great advice. We plan to put away the funds from our home sale for when we tire of FTing and purchase our final retirement home. Thanks all!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time