Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2016, 07:44 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Cost of going Full Time

I curious, I hear several saying how expensive it is to get ready to go full time (ft), can those be a bit more elaborate on this. We have been contemplating this in the next year or two, and you all got me thinking. I for one planed on possibly renting out our stick home, just in case we want to come back. I know I can do this easily, but not sure if the boss will be happy out and about.

Would really like some thoughts.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #2

You need to find out how you are going to RV. There are a lot of factors. Good video covering all the topics below:

What Does it Cost to Full Time RV? by Technomadia
https://youtu.be/dPv8xnoeW5E
Old 04-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your cost depends on how you want to live while you fulltime, constantly on the move, RV resorts, boondocking, what your meals are, eating out eating in, doing repairs needed, It can be as expensive as you make it. JMO
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #4

If you're not on Medicare, where do you get your health insurance from?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I think I'm looking for explanations a bit more deep for those willing to tell. At what cost has gone full time cost you, in regards to "did I make the right decision" or "it is what I expected, awesome" Was it difficult beyond what you imagined when you first started? I know a friend was all set up to go full time been talking about it actually for a couple of years. Then when the day came, he said "I got cold feet" he was afraid of what if I don't like this. The problem was in his case, he was selling his stick house and did. In my case, I would or will rent it and use that time as full timers to see if we like somewhere else to live and then sell if it goes that direction. We look forward to visiting and staying (until our welcome runs out) with children and grandchildren, whom live across 5 states, all but one in the west. But unlike my friend whom I mentioned above, he is now miserable and can't get back into a stick house. I'm sure there are others that are either stuck or perhaps just the opposit entirely happy. I think I'll be the latter, just hoping to hear from others and what it has cost them.

Health care, yes important, I'm both a veteran and I have private health care for life.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by YosemiteBobR View Post
I curious, I hear several saying how expensive it is to get ready to go full time (ft), can those be a bit more elaborate on this. .......Would really like some thoughts.
In general, it costs the same as renting a nice 3 bedroom apartment in nice part of town, , (not including Manhattan or California, but including the cost of electric/gas utilities), as it does to go fulltime.

That includes the cost to purchase your motorhome, regular maintenance, RV insurance, fuel, postal forwarding, toad, toad maintenance, toad insurance, campground memberships and maintenance fees, (if you have any), RVPark and campground fees.

Groceries and entertainment are additional.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #7

All I know is that my cash flow went UP from going fulltime.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
YosemiteBobR I think I'm looking for explanations a bit more deep for those willing to tell. At what cost has gone full time cost you, in regards "did I make the right decision"
The decision was made for me. I went into a diabetic coma while riding my motorcycle. I ended up in the ICU for to weeks followed by two years of rehab. I no longer could take care of the home or animals. I ended up needing to sell the farm in order to pay bills. I now own a MH instead of the house and have never looked back.

I came to the conclusion that I did not own the home, that the home owned me. I do have a storage facility that I have been slowly selling off all the stuff I collected over the years. I don't feel like this was a "cost" to me but a introduction to a freedom I had not experienced before.

My financial output of fulltiming is less then when I owned the farm.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:03 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I think they mean preparations leading up to going full time. For us, some of the prep included new tires, new shocks, all new warning devices (s/d etc.), new fire extinguishers, new induction burner and cookware (to save on propane), fumoto oil pan plug (easier oil changes on the road) and setting up for a toad (never needed one till going full time), just to name a few. Will also be having all necessary fluids and belts and hoses changed as needed. Sounds like routine maintenance but everything needs to be completed in a shorter time frame.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
I think they mean preparations leading up to going full time. For us, some of the prep included new tires, new shocks, all new warning devices (s/d etc.), new fire extinguishers, new induction burner and cookware (to save on propane), fumoto oil pan plug (easier oil changes on the road) and setting up for a toad (never needed one till going full time), just to name a few. Will also be having all necessary fluids and belts and hoses changed as needed. Sounds like routine maintenance but everything needs to be completed in a shorter time frame.

My rig was always ready!
Fix da house
Sell da house
Go!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
FWIW you might want to IMO reconsider renting out your S&B, unless you have an agent there that can handle all the issues that will arise from renting, i.e. delinquent $ from tenants, taxes, property maintenance, etc.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
After reading the OP's 2nd post, I misunderstood their question. Were prepared to jump in with both feet and see. It will be all new to us.

CampDaven your luck is better than mine. Something always seems to need attention on ours.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:23 PM   #13

What does it cost to get ready to fulltime vs did I make the right decision, are two completely different discussions. You've got me confused.

What it costs to prepare depends greatly on whether you already own the RV and associated RV'ing gear. The cost could be $0 to $500,000 depending on what you start with.

Whether you're making the right decision should be readily apparent if you've already been RV'ing for several years.

The only mistake I see in your plan is renting out the house. If you don't yet know if you'll enjoy extended RV'ing, then spend more time RV'ing before you decide to go fulltime. If you're sure you want to fulltime, then get rid of the house. dealing with rental tenants while you're traveling around the country is nothing but a big hassle.

I fulltimed for 4 years and never met one other fulltimer who was "miserable".
But yes, all fulltimers should arrange their financial plans for an exit strategy. Fulltime RV living wont go on forever, for most of us. So having the resources set aside to buy a future home is just part of good planning. Dealing with a rental for the next 5 yrs while you're trying to enjoy traveling around the country, doesn't sound like good planning to me. But to each his own.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Well what I've read so far, it seems to be just like the stick house, but with a different view whenever you want, I like that. D Lindy, I agree with the renting process, just something I would have to worry about, don't want worries. Besides, if we come across something where we want to stay, I don't want to be burdened with trying to sell from afar. OK, no renting. Do most of you, pay for a month or more to get a better deal? I'm set up for boondocking when necessary, as I want to hit some BLM lands on the way to somewhere. I have so much planned, that I'm affraid I don't have enough time for, I know sounds weird, but wish I had started this several years ago.

Tags
full time