Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Cost to upgrade to a flatscreen TV

I'm thinking about just hiring someone to put in a flat screen and provide the hookups to my computer, DVD player. I'm not interested in satellite.
I have no idea when I talk to the tech if I'm getting a bargain or a burn. Anyone have a ballpark figure for this kind of project?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
It depends on the difficulty to install in your particular unit. I just posted my install of 2 Flatscreen TVs. Here is the link.
Dynasty TV's Replaced

To give you an idea, it took me all weekend for both. Roughly 8 hours for the front however, it was more involved than the rear as the old TV location is a corner Unit. I believe yours would be a center mounted TV. the difference in costs would depend if you had an experienced installer that knows what to do with your particular units requirements. This is the 3rd coach I have replaced the TVs in. My first was a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer. I would hazard to guess, a good install without electronics would cost $400-$600 depending on what and how you want it done.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
It depends on the difficulty to install in your particular unit. I just posted my install of 2 Flatscreen TVs. Here is the link.
Dynasty TV's Replaced

I would hazard to guess, a good install without electronics would cost $400-$600 depending on what and how you want it done.
Okay, that's within the budget, if I can find a tech to get it done for that. I'd prefer to do it myself but I don't have a free weekend between now and when we leave. Plus, if I make a hash of the job it will be an issue through the whole trip.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 05-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Joe, that would be with you supplying the electronics and mount. TV would be about $200 and mount would be about $100 depending on what you choose for a TV.

I'll post a few photos of my Winnie install so you see what I did. This was with a larger TV.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Here was my 2000 Winnebago Adventurer install.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1996010757.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	38064

Name:	image-1374606880.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	38065

Name:	image-1518067426.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	38066

Name:	image-2262553699.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	38067

Name:	image-1483025028.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	38068

Name:	image-2325609434.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	38069

Name:	image-3127278727.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	38070

Name:	image-476554637.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	38071

Name:	image-749464882.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	38072
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Joe, that would be with you supplying the electronics and mount. TV would be about $200 and mount would be about $100 depending on what you choose for a TV.

I'll post a few photos of my Winnie install so you see what I did. This was with a larger TV.
Yes, I know I'm providing my own electronics and mount. Your install looks very good.
What size is the TV?
Can you open the front cabinets with the tv in place or do you have to pull it forward?
Does it cover the entire opening left by the old tv?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I believe the TV was a 37". It did cover the cabinets on each side by about 1-1/2". However, with the articulating mount, it didn't bother me.
Only the very bottom of the plastic showed. None of the opening.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I replaced a 30" with a 36" and mine was in an opening that was 36-1/2" wide and the height was about 1/2" higher than the TV I purchased. I traveled around to different stores measuring the outside dimensions of the TV to see if it would fit and I found a Panasonic and the outside dimensions cleared by 1/4" all around. A two person installation (one thinking outside the box) accomplished the job in about 4 hours

My location is center coach and when the LR slide is closed the TV is not viewable (shucks) and the clearance of the slide closing is only a few inches past the outside of the cabinet. I had to make sure that it fit inside the opening.

I used the original mount, moved it back a few inches, reinforced it with angle iron and 2x6" lumber for the backing, and use a full articulating arm for the mount.

Some considerations: Where are the speakers on the new TV located. If they are underneath then how the TV is placed in a hole or how it is extended when view needs to be considered.

What type of audio equipment do you have and what are the input/output connections? Some of the newer televisions do not come with RCA connectors, only HDMI, Composite RGB, and fiber optic digital outputs. A converter will be needed a little less than $100 to convert from digital to audio.

Any other special needs for configuration.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced my front TV but did the work myself. As far as cost I had was basically the price of the TV and the scrap wood I had. Reused the upholstrey and some of the trim pieces. I guess as far as having someone else do it I wouldn't know. Jim
Old 05-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2000 Adventurer and replaced mine with a 32" Magnavox TV. After removing all of the original TV and mounting junk, I used 2 lengths of channel cut from a fence post for attachments to the TV. By inserting 4 eyebolts (2 on each side top and bottom) and using 4 turnbuckles I put the TV in place without a mask of any sort. The turnbuckles made it possible to set the TV at any angle I wanted. The best part of this mount (in my opinion) is the replacement of almost 100lbs of TV and steel platform with a TV that weighs less than 20lbs (I think) and the mounting system that weighs less than 2lbs. (the fence post is the type used for wire fencing purchased at HD and it was left over from a previous project).
I don't have any pictures, but the 32in Magnavox fit into the opening without any wood having to be removed.
The down side of this mounting is that the controls on the right side bottom of the TV are useless except for the on/off button, but the remote takes care of all operational functions anyway.
We have put about 4000mi on the coach since this installation and have had no problems so far.
I must admit however that I did this install alone with no help. Not recommended.
I cut a piece of 1/8th in. ply and covered it with left over upholstery and used it to cover the opening behind the TV. I left a small opening for access to the rear plug-ins.
in my opinion, the final install looks much like the previous post, except ours is a little smaller TV.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I did the front one on our DSDP I removed the sheet metal "box" and built a new one out of plywood that more closely matched the new TV size. But I still hit my head, but now on the TV itself and not the box.
Mounted the TV to a piece of plywood from a 2" X 2" crosspiece I installed then used a piano hinge on the top. That way the whole box behind the new LED TV can be used for storage. Now I need to figure out what to store there!
The rear LCD TV I used a commercial metal swing away mount with no mods to the cabinets. Swing the TV into the old box and wedge a pillow into the box to keep it from swinging around as we travel.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #12

ours cost us about $10.00 for the remnant Oak from Home Depot, took a few days of tinkering to get everything right, would have cost a few bucks to have it done, but they would not have done it "my way"...

Do NOT use RV anything place, DO use auto stereo places that do Limo and van conversions, they do this for a primary living and have the proper tools and training to do the job, and their rate will be less than the RV place.

If they are not confident in their quote do not use them...
Old 05-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Swapping out the tvs is not what's [potentially] expensive - it's the cabinet work that costs. If you choose a style and location that minimizes cabinet changes, the price should be a few hundred dollars (a couple hours of labor), but if you require substantial changes it can easily run to thousands.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Swapping out the tvs is not what's [potentially] expensive - it's the cabinet work that costs. If you choose a style and location that minimizes cabinet changes, the price should be a few hundred dollars (a couple hours of labor), but if you require substantial changes it can easily run to thousands.
Actually I'm thinking of taking an entirely different approach to the whole tv watching problem. It's a low priority to myself, and DW isn't fussy. I may just use a tablet for watching DVDs and streaming movies online.
Mounting a small bracket to comfortable hold the tablet in the living room, and later in the bedroom should meet all our simple needs with a minimum of fuss and bother. Plus we will have it for navigation, web surfing, etc. As my DW has said, we didn't drive all the way here just to watch tv. If we ever get to be full timers, perhaps then a big screen tv will have a higher priority than it does now.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)