Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Well done
Not really, we have been in several of those parks and are well over the length limit, as well as others that were 40+ feet, and still fit and used some of those locations. This is exactly what I was talking about they don't enforce it as long as you fit.

Calasiter, I don't think Dutch Star Don was mad at you for posting. But when people just rely on what they read rather than actually going out and seeing for themselves, and then post info that is not correct, that gets a little old.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by calasiter View Post
Was Dutch Star Don upset at me for asking the question? I'm really new at this, and I don't want to offend anyone.
Don't think so. I believe Don was just making a comment about some of the posts that were answering your question. The only bad question is the one not asked.

Don is a level headed guy with a lot of knowledge.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Some have said the CHP waits for people heading to the dunes at Glamis and tickets them for over length. Have not personally seen it so cannot attest to it. Certainly if you head out to Glamis or Buttercup you will see lots of really long units.
First, SmokyRV and DutchStar Don are 110% on target for the state and state park rules about long motorhomes.

Second, the CHP does run compliance checks on the routes to Ocotillo/Algodones dunes/Buttercup...have seen it personally.
They will ticket drivers and/or impound rigs that are not in compliance. These are the folks with the BIG 5er and/or the MDT Truck (like a Chevy Kodiak Pick-up) pulling a giant toy box (overweight for the driver's license), or the MASSIVE Motorhome pulling a GIANT enclosed car hauler that is over the legal max total length or on the wrong category driver's license.
See: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de..._htm/lic_chart

This IS NOT to stop the average folks in their 45' RV, towing their Buick...but technically, if a CA registered RV is over 40', the driver must have an up-graded driver's license too (see the link above).

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"calasiter".....You posted a great question since rules are different in every state, it just gets annoying when someone posts really bad info. I guess I barked a little, but I've been on here 10 years and sometimes the regurgitation of bad info is annoying. I just took my meds.....so I'll be better in a few minutes.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I just took my meds.....so I'll be better in a few minutes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #20

OP: You'll find that in any state and in any type of park (national, state, forest service, etc) that the given length you read for sites is not really a 'given'. It's usually a suggested size. If you can fit into a site, it's yours. The problem is that most people, unless they frequent a campground a lot, don't know what the sites or roads leading into the sites look like. Many parks do have narrow, twisting roads with lots of trees to maneuver around.

What we did with our 40' motorhome if we weren't sure of what the roads or sites looked like was to park outside the campground, disconnect the towed vehicle and drive it in to scout the sites. However, after doing a lot of previous research, once we got to a campground and checked it out, we always fit with no problems. You just have to do some research first.

Also, there are plenty of other places in California to use rather than the state parks. We did find them on the small size. There are awesome county parks and forest service campgrounds that have just as much scenery nearby and sometimes even better. You can always stay somewhere else nearby and drive to the state park vicinity if you think something is special there.

Public parks were always our first choice and we were able to stay in them 90% of our 16 years of full-timing. No, you won't fit in every one but you will have plenty of excellent options. A 25' RV won't fit in every one either. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #21

Thanks. I had read that and heard it on TV, within a few days of each occurrence, so I wanted to ask. Asking here is the only real way to find out. Thanks to everyone.
calasiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Not really, we have been in several of those parks and are well over the length limit, as well as others that were 40+ feet, and still fit and used some of those locations. This is exactly what I was talking about they don't enforce it as long as you fit.
I wonder why they even post a length limit if only a few law abiding folks actually understand and follow the rules.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #23

Quote:
I wonder why they even post a length limit if only a few law abiding folks actually understand and follow the rules.
Well first of all, I am a Law abiding Citizen, and understood what appeared to be the "rules", that's why I asked the Ranger. Second of all the limits are not Laws, they are recommendations. I explained why the list is the way it is written. So when the Ranger says it is good to enter, for the reasons I posted and we fit into a spot like he said, how is that not following the rules. I wouldn't think the Ranger would tell us it was Ok to use the campsite if it wasn't, or he felt we were breaking the "rules". I was only trying to put out factual information so people wouldn't be afraid to use State Parks.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Not law or rule, rather guidance. As was explained well in a previous response.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:08 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
It is my belief that some parks have been rated using the lowest common denominator to determine access to sites. The denominator - the new inexperienced and un-practised driver.

I wonder how many complaints have come to the ranger station saying "you said I would fit and I scraped the side (or worse). Easier for them to assign a nominal length that makes it less stressful for everybody.

Now days with the new higher steering cuts and lifting or dumping tag axles it could be possible to get into spots that were designed and built for much shorter units.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:16 AM   #26

I see. Guidance, not rules, that aren't followed anyway. Outstanding
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I see. Guidance, not rules, that aren't followed anyway. Outstanding
Yup, looks like some people do not have to follow the rules! I would say that is bad advice. So just becouse you see others doing it, it must be ok

45' Motorhomes
Old 08-12-2016, 10:21 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
So if a new on the job overly zealot Park Ranger happins to be on the gate and enforces the park regs, your stay is ruined..! But ya'll bank on that not happin I guess...just sayn
Don't get me wrong..I could care less.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california