Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 10:03 PM   #43
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"CJBROWN".....I'm pretty sure my 40' and even a 42' can turn tighter than your 31'. The new steerable tags, have an even tighter turning radius. They can even back into a tighter spot because of the turning radius.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 10:13 PM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"CJBROWN".....I'm pretty sure my 40' and even a 42' can turn tighter than your 31'. The new steerable tags, have an even tighter turning radius. They can even back into a tighter spot because of the turning radius.
Uh, even my old unit cuts 50*. Besides its still length that will hang you up.
The subject is over 40 footers for CA state parks, and yes it's a valid issue. If you want to stay in most of these places you want to be under 40'. A 45 footer can be a big problem. Btdt.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:10 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
In many cases you can slide some of the limits, but really there are some real disadvantages to any coach over 40' being able to get into anything other than newer luxury RV parks. Was a chief complaint from sis and BIl in their Entegra. They were sorry they went that big, it really limits access.

Those things need a lot of room to turn and swing too, difficult to back into anything. Just forget about older parks and campgrounds.
A 42' with tag dumped practically has the same wheelbase as a 40'. A 42' with tag dumped and a 60 degree wheel cut will turn shorter than a 40' with a 55 degree cut.

I my experience many folks try to drive their motorhome the same as they drive their car. While the principle is the same a coach will require more maneuvering and compensation but can get into some very tight spots if properly handled.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
A 42' with tag dumped practically has the same wheelbase as a 40'. A 42' with tag dumped and a 60 degree wheel cut will turn shorter than a 40' with a 55 degree cut.

I my experience many folks try to drive their motorhome the same as they drive their car. While the principle is the same a coach will require more maneuvering and compensation but can get into some very tight spots if properly handled.
Gee, you guys are missing the point. Go back and read the first post.

You can't fit a 40' coach in a 30' spot.

Turning radius aside, many of the state campgrounds and older RV parks have very small spaces - a big unit just won't fit in them. I can think of a number of them we've been to where we just barely fit, and that it was one of just a couple of spaces out of the whole campground.

I swear, if somebody said the sky is blue some forum members would come along and argue that the sea is green.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:52 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Gee, you guys are missing the point. Go back and read the first post.

You can't fit a 40' coach in a 30' spot.

Understand the point. Not all spots that they say are 30' are 30'. They nominally would have measured from somewhere just off of the shoulder of the road to whatever barrier they have to keep people from driving their wheels past a certain point. Some are a bit longer than the nominal measurement. If the barrier is low enough you may be able to 'hang' the back end over the curb stop they have at the end of the parking spot. That gives me about an extra 8' of length without driving off of the site.

I believe that any public park should be available for any length you can get in without cutting down trees or moving rocks, barriers, etc. They are all paid for by public funding and some of that funding comes from the fuel tax paid for by larger motorhomes.

IMO the posted lengths are discretionary and many attendants will allow you to park if you are able to get your unit into the assigned spot. Just do not be disappointed if you are not able to get a site you can fit into or get an attendant who is anal.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #48

We volunteered at Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park a few years ago. In the morning the booth attendant at the campground would taking the incoming reservation list and assign a camp site based on the length of the RV. We had to be creative because it seemed there were never enough big sites. We were then asked to walk the campground and closely examine/measure each site and mark what size RV & what type would fit, including the vehicle, if any. We were in a 40' motorhome with the Jeep and we found plenty that we would fit.

We made up a snazzy listing by RV size and what sites they would fit. The rangers were amazed at how many big rig sites we came up with compared to their old chart. It made assigning sites super easy.

Bottom line - you can never go by what length is given in writing for an RV site. Most campground sites, if any, are not measured. They are just eyeball guesses done by folks that don't drive RVs. They are 'suggested' length sizes, not definite givens and not a 'law' or 'rule'. If you can fit into the site with a longer RV it's yours. We've never run into a problem where we weren't allowed in a campground even though the site max. given was below what we had.

It's up to YOU if you want to try for sites or even for a campground. If you get stuck driving through the narrow roads with trees it will be up to you to pay the bill to get out of the predicament you got into.

90% of our night stays for 16 years of full-timing were done in public parks. We researched as best we could. We didn't make reservations - even for the popular national parks. If we were satisfied by our research, reviews, Google earth, pictures of other big rigs in the park, etc. we went and were never disappointed that we didn't fit. A few times we just weren't 100% sure so we drove there anyway but parked the motorhome outside the park, disconnected the Jeep and drove through the campground first to see if there were any problems. Even doing this, we always fit.

I will say that even when we stayed somewhere else we'd occasionally take a drive through California's state parks and from what we saw, we wouldn't be using them, not only because of the overall site size, but other issues. California's parks are.....well...'different' from what we like for a campground. That's just us.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california