Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #1

Covering the coach while parked

I bought one of the nicer covers for my coach when I bought the coach, but after talking to the manufacturer of the motorhome, they wouldn't recommend using a cover. They said that if you have the full-body paint, that it was recommended NOT to use one. If you have the regular paint job, they simply couldn't recommend or not recommend. :>O So....living in the Pacific Northwest, I'm wondering what the overall consensus is on their use. The manufacturer's concern seemed to be a fear of the cover damaging/rubbing the paint finish off. I would love to get everyone's input on what they've experienced using the covers. Not talking tarps, here, but the nicer covers by ADCO specifically designed for motorhomes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't forget the danger

I made that mistake once. I bought a Tyvec based cover for our last RV and soon discovered how slippery that stupid thing was when I had to walk around on the roof while putting it on.

A couple of weeks later I discovered what a fine sail it made with just a tiny gust of wind. It could have easily knocked me off the roof. Having windsurfed SF Bay for over 30 years I know how to handle sails in almost any conditions but getting blown off a board and landing in water is a lot more fun than falling 13 feet onto hard ground and breaking your foolish neck.

I may have used it once after that (slow learner) but I eventually figured out that protecting the decals/paint wasn't worth the risk of falling.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is definitely a two person job. As MuddyPaws stated, installing or removing one in the wind can be dangerous. The covers don't last forever, plan on replacing it every 2-3 years. But despite the risks, I keep my coach covered. The warning about full body paint makes no sense. The problem with ANY cover, it to make sure the surface of the coach is clean before installing one. If you don't, any dirt/grit below the cover can damage your paint. I have been using RV covers for 15 years now on two different coaches, one with full body paint, one without, and I have never experienced any damage. The cover keeps the coach clean and limits UV damage. When we return home from a trip, I wash it and cover it. That way it's clean and ready to go for the next adventure.

It all boils down to personal preference and physical ability. I am sure the day is rapidly approaching where I will no longer be able to install it my cover, as it is heavy & awkward. Until then, I will use one.

Just my two cents...

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies! I mentioning "ability", that also brings up another point that I was going to ask, and forgot. I am just a couple of pounds shy of 300 lbs. I've been 'kinda hesitant to get up on the roof of the coach for that reason. I'm just afraid that a person my size might be pushing the limit of what the roof of the coach is designed to support. Any "full size" men out there walking around on the top of their coach without any problem? I know that I need to be getting up there to inspect stuff, wash the top, etc.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That might be a question for Winnebago. I'm no lightweight at 243, but I haven't broken anything yet...

Craig

Old 06-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
That might be a question for Winnebago. I'm no lightweight at 243, but I haven't broken anything yet...

Craig
I've actually spoken with Winnebago about that issue, and they aren't real open with a response. I'd call it uncommitted. They couldn't tell me how much weight it was actually stressed to accept, and the best he would tell me was to just be careful and perhaps crawl to spread the weight more evenly. It would be very difficult to wash the roof while crawling. :>)
Old 06-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hmm...you could lay down on a soapy towel, bungee a garden hose to one of your legs and you might get it down in short order!

Craig

Old 06-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
just watch out for the vent pipes. they sneak up on you...
Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
just watch out for the vent pipes. they sneak up on you...
LOL!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcritter View Post
I've actually spoken with Winnebago about that issue, and they aren't real open with a response. I'd call it uncommitted. They couldn't tell me how much weight it was actually stressed to accept, and the best he would tell me was to just be careful and perhaps crawl to spread the weight more evenly. It would be very difficult to wash the roof while crawling. :>)

I would call back ... I don't think that person knew what they were talking about! On video's of different brands factory tours, sometimes they have 2 or more people walking around up there. One video I saw they lined up a dozen people on the roof to show you it was sturdy (don't remember which ).

With ACs and satellites, etc. service people have to be able to get up there and work, so his answer doesn't even make sense. Check again.

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a cover for a trailer many years ago.

My wife and kids helped put it on the first time.

My wife helped the second time.

Everybody disappeared the third time.

It wore the paint off on the front of the trailer and had to be really secured due to wind.

You couldn't give me a cover.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #12
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've used the Adco covers for the last two MH that I have. It is a bear to bring it up the roof but it's well worth it to help maintain the appearance of your roof and the body paint. Other than the tear on the sides when it get caught on the awning and the slide topper bars, it's no big deal. Here in the Pacific NW, winter (and spring) is not the ideal situation to leave (store) your coach out in the open.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are only on our 3rd RV (2-class B; 1-class A). Putting our new cover on in next few days...excited. Even though we are relatively newbies, we've had too many inquires to manufacturers that resulted in totally ridiculous information on the first go arounds. Seems we have to just keep plugging away.

LEZM3 is offline   Reply With Quote