Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2017, 07:54 PM   #1

Cracked leaf spring

i just bought a 2003 pace arrow has the workhorse chassis -i picked rv up in ohio out side columbus. we drove it back to chicago 350 miles the couple i bought it from drove it up to ohio from florida 1100 miles - my trouble starts with my son following me and calling saying the rv is leaning to the right so we stopped at gas station parked it on level ground we noticed the skirt just touching the ground on the right side but the left side was up about an inch.
so i got it home went under it and noticed the right side leaf spring is cracked in half ( with rust on it where it cracked in half). i called the man who sold it to me he said he new nothing about it leaning -i believe him, the rv drove very smooth home he also told me he put 9k miles on it last year plus he drove the 1100 miles to ohio-so my question begs is this safe to drive ? and if i need to get fixed how much will i have to put out? also will the otherside need to be replaced and will they say i will need shocks also? help !!!!
twibs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #2

Myself, I would replace both springs and shocks just to be worry free and safe. You should be able to find a shop that makes springs and talk to them about what you need. Hope this helps.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twibs66 View Post
i just bought a 2003 pace arrow has the workhorse chassis -i picked rv up in ohio out side columbus. we drove it back to chicago 350 miles the couple i bought it from drove it up to ohio from florida 1100 miles - my trouble starts with my son following me and calling saying the rv is leaning to the right so we stopped at gas station parked it on level ground we noticed the skirt just touching the ground on the right side but the left side was up about an inch.
so i got it home went under it and noticed the right side leaf spring is cracked in half ( with rust on it where it cracked in half). i called the man who sold it to me he said he new nothing about it leaning -i believe him, the rv drove very smooth home he also told me he put 9k miles on it last year plus he drove the 1100 miles to ohio-so my question begs is this safe to drive ? and if i need to get fixed how much will i have to put out? also will the otherside need to be replaced and will they say i will need shocks also? help !!!!
Welcome to the forums. Lots of folks here to help you. Go to a truck spring shop, not an RV repair shop. They can put in a new spring leaf to replace the broken one. No, you do not need to replace the springs on the other side. A motorhome that is 15 years old should be checked for worn shock absorbers. A good truck spring shop can give you an accurate price, I would be guessing. All the best.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:31 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, I'd get it fixed. Its possible the spring had an imperfection and cracked years ago.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:49 AM   #5

I would lean toward replacing both sides just incase the newer spring is a different strength. The rear axle alignment can effect the front end alignment.

There are many Truck Replacement Spring places on the internet. But like has been said, I would get a truck repair place to fix it, and not a dealer.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #6

I would definitely change both sides on that axle. And shocks based on their condition/age.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:24 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was curious about this so I did some more research. A spring place may be able to simply pull the bad one out and slide a new one in. (I know, easier said than done)

Here is place in LC that does it (I know nothing about them)

Next time I'm under mine, I'm going to eyeball the leafs on mine carefully.

Repair or Replace Leaf Springs - AAA Spring & Truck Parts | Leaf Springs | Leaf Spring Repair | Suspension Parts | Ubolts | Leveling Kits |
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Springs

I visited a shop in Gilbert AZ last winter for another reason. While there they pointed out issues with my rear leaf springs. Instead of being l guess u shaped, high on the ends and lower in the middle, not quite a u but think of smile of the mouth in an emoge mine were the kinda inverted low on the ends and bent upwards in the middle. Sorry for the lack of descriptive words but anyway. They expressed I should probably have them replaced and possibly add an extra or they even offered to just add an extra to reshape them. Note my rv seems to set a & ride level. My concern new springs would raise the rear like my old 66 chevy with M-50's. Being from IN. I opted to wait till I got home in case of issues that I might need fixed. The cost for them to make and replace the springs was around 2000 Probably should have had it done The shop was very knowledgable, customer oriented no pressure good people. It was a RV Truck Suspension Service. Not sure if I can post there name here or not but you can tell I would go back if they were closer. Oh and they did fix the problem I went there for Safe T Plus adjustment. Anyway in answer to your there price was $2000 still have not got a opinion since we have been home. Aint broke dont fix it.... sorry so long
Old 08-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #9

Springs are a matched set, replacing just one is a guess to get to match. On a trailer you could get away with just fixing one. But in an RV, it could severely affect handling &a a bunch of things. At that age they are both shot anyways. The new set of springs should also raise the rig back to stock height & improve braking too. That is what happened when I replaced mine.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #10

More then likely the shocks are shot from bottoming out many times. Suspension is not something to ignore when something is wrong!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #11
IC2

Replacing both is the best way but at least replace the bad spring before you use the MH again.

It's an unsafe vehicle at this point and since you know about it, you might be held liable in the case of an accident if the RV becomes uncontrollable and you run into another vehicle. If the spring separates (it's only held by U bolts now)and at 60mph and the differential rotates, you will have virtually no steering ability.

The springs themselves are relatively inexpensive but the labor costs can mount along with other potentially necessary parts like new U bolts, shackles and any bushings.

A for instance and something for you to consider to scale up in size - I replaced all four 6000 pound capacity 6 leaf springs, new U-bolts and new shackles and bushings on our 5er this spring. As a DIYer and at a fair price on the material the cost was about $275 plus about 3-4 hours of my labor.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:32 PM   #12

It would be my luck to replace the only broken spring then have it lean to the other side.
sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoriko View Post
It would be my luck to replace the only broken spring then have it lean to the other side.
And the other spring would break a week later.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #14

thanks all for your replies i found the leaf spring -wasn't easy and found a shop to do it -i'm only doing one side if it leans the other way i will do the other side - leaf was $500 labor will be $200-300 -hope this doesn't become a money pit
twibs66 is offline   Reply With Quote