Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 07:42 PM   #1

Question Cracks in paint has got me confused.

I have a 2003 McKenzie (Monaco) Rogue. I believe it has painted aluminum siding. I just purchased it over the winter. I am trying to figure out what's going on in the attached pictures. There are spots where it looks like someone started to polish the surface and then stopped. It appears there may be oxidation which someone tried to buff out.
You will see in the first picture on the left an area which looks whiter. On the left side of the picture, you'll see what the majority of the surface of the RV looks like (oxidation?). The picture on the right is a close-up of the area which shows cracking in the paint. In the area that looks like it was polished or cleaned, the paint has cracks in it. I am trying to figure out what to do next. I'm not sure if I should just polish the entire RV and then protect with a good wax. Should I be concerned about the cracks in the paint? The RV was kept inside by the previous owner.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150424_200044.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	92459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150424_200109.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	92460  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After years of the suns UV rays and severe heat, decals and Paint will crack and fracture like an old painting on wood, steel, aluminum and fiberglass. The color Black is the worse offender and RV Manufactures know this and yet still choose to make it a primary color on their coaches.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That certainly looks like plain old paint aging/cracking. It may eventually flake off, but that is not a given either. As long as the surface prep was good and the paint well-adhered, the cracks won't lead to flaking.

The downside is there is nothing to be done about it. The paint is hard & brittle, so it cracks when the metal skin flexes due to heat expansion, road vibration, etc.

As for the discoloration, try polishing with a product that has some grit to it, usually those labeled "restores color" or "removes oxidation". If the discoloration is in the surface of the paint, that will help. If it goes all the way though, it won't.

Any "wax" will help protect the painted surface from further deterioration and give it a bit of shine.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:21 AM   #4

do you hand polish or use an orbital type polisher?

1. Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
    That certainly looks like plain old paint aging/cracking. It may eventually flake off, but that is not a given either. As long as the surface prep was good and the paint well-adhered, the cracks won't lead to flaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The downside is there is nothing to be done about it. The paint is hard & brittle, so it cracks when the metal skin flexes due to heat expansion, road vibration, etc.

As for the discoloration, try polishing with a product that has some grit to it, usually those labeled "restores color" or "removes oxidation". If the discoloration is in the surface of the paint, that will help. If it goes all the way though, it won't.

Any "wax" will help protect the painted surface from further deterioration and give it a bit of shine.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Are you asking how I do my own coach, or how I would handle this one? I hand polish mine (fiberglass with full body paint) with Protect-All. I would probably do the same with the OP's MacKenzie Rogue. There is no advantage to machine polishing unless the surface is oxidized.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, paint