Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #29

Tools are only as good as the hands that hold them. I've had the same set of Craftsman wrenches since I was 14, but they don't work nearly as well as they did 30 years ago.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble View Post
Tools are only as good as the hands that hold them. I've had the same set of Craftsman wrenches since I was 14, but they don't work nearly as well as they did 30 years ago.
Yeah, know what you mean...

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very interesting. Handyman magazine delivered just today September 2012 issue has a review of Mechanics Socket Sets, the kind in the plastic form fit boxes. According to their test KOBALT has the best features, and Husky and Stanley were listed as a Best Buy. Craftsman was the most expensive.

They have some facts I did not know. Ratchets have different click points, meaning how many degrees do you have to turn in order to engauge the next tooth on the ratchet. Well Craftsman has the fewest meaning requiring the most turning (effort) to enguage. Kobalt has the most teeth by contrast. Not sure over time if you are a DIY person it makes much difference.

I'm still a Craftsman guy I go with who got me here. Actually honestly I am a brand loyalty kind of person and tend to stick with brands that have not failed me. Craftsman qualifies however I can't say they are the best tool or the best buy.

And in reality my tools are quite old any where from 55 to 15 years old depending on what I needed at the time. Half a century ago they may have been the gold standard. I have so many I do not buy much anymore so I have nbot tried others.

If your interested you can get the magazine a read their opinions.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If I was going to do lots of serious work or was in a business that would require the tools being subjected to lots of use, I'd get one of the brands talked about here. But since I'm a part time tool user, I now buy all my hand tools at Harbor Freight...of course they are not the quality of the others...but their warranty is the same, bring it in and they'll give you a new one.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Very interesting. Handyman magazine delivered just today September 2012 issue has a review of Mechanics Socket Sets, the kind in the plastic form fit boxes. According to their test KOBALT has the best features, and Husky and Stanley were listed as a Best Buy. Craftsman was the most expensive.
Yeah, but what brand is the best tool. The longest lasting. The strongest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
They have some facts I did not know. Ratchets have different click points, meaning how many degrees do you have to turn in order to engauge the next tooth on the ratchet. Well Craftsman has the fewest meaning requiring the most turning (effort) to enguage. Kobalt has the most teeth by contrast. Not sure over time if you are a DIY person it makes much difference.
Some mechanics refer to them as just 35s, 60s, etc. I have 3/8" drives that range from 30-60 teeth. My Husky has the most. The Action ratchet my dad gave me had the least. Too few of teeth and you stand a greater risk of stripping or breaking a tooth.

Some HF tools are ok, but you have to be careful of what you get. Snap ring pliers and even open end wrenches won't hold their shape and/or bend. Air chucks and fittings are fine, so are tarps for temporary or light use. Sandpaper? Only if you want to clean up the sand that falls off, especially when it gets wet.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #34

I've always been a Craftman guy and recently purchased a new socket set (sort of updating my tool box).

I looked at both Craftman and Kobalt and ended up going with Kobalt for the following reasons.

1) Lowe's is very close to my house. Sears is a trip.
2) Kobalt sockets have the easy read embossing (just like Craftman)
3) Kobalt sockets are banded in either "Red" or "Blue" denoting a standard or metric socket.
4) the Kobalts are cheaper
5) the Kobalts feel like a quality tool in my hand.

The only thing that is a turn-off for the Kobalts is the fact that they are made in Taiwan.

Now with all that said, I still like the feel of a Craftsman screwdriver, so my new screwdrivers are Craftsman.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #35

If the markings are anything like the laser marked taps and die I have, the markings become unreadable after several uses.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ya know.. thinking about it, my best tools are the KAL brand.. Same the Navy used in the '80s and early '90s.. I think Stanley bought them out and is why their tools increased in quality.. Though they are still sold as KAL too..

Old 08-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got a pretty complete set of kobalt sockets/wrenches/allens/extensions/pliers for less than $100 including a nice molded case. They can handle most bolts on my rig and the bigger sockets for the 1/2 I just bought onesy twosy on sale. Then sams had a nice set of stanley sockets/wrenches for $11 on clearance.
Ive used them often enough to not worry about the quality. My nice tools (snap on, mac, etc) stay at home in a quality storage box and no chance of getting lost/damaged/borrowed.
I can drive a few miles to lowes. Sears is 15 miles and in a bad part of town. Lowes is no hassle. Sears... is a hassle.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Ya know.. thinking about it, my best tools are the KAL brand.. Same the Navy used in the '80s and early '90s.. I think Stanley bought them out and is why their tools increased in quality.. Though they are still sold as KAL too..

One of the best adjustable wrenches in my toolbox is a 'Proto' brand one that I found while walking my dogs along a dirt road. Probably someone left it on their bumper or something. Never heard of it before, but I think it's a Stanley product too. It's not a 'pretty' tool, but it is every bit as good as my Craftsman adjustables are.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #39

I have a Proto 3/8" ratchet I found somewhere too. I would put Proto right up there with Husky and Craftsman.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #40

Jst a note:

Taiwan made tools are starting to become the gold standard of tools. Even some of Snap On's new ratchets are made there.

The Craftsman line is almost (sadly) becoming all Chinese made. I have a huge set of Craftsman tools and am not liking what I see in the stores.

I have also used Kolbalt and Husky tools and they're both good sets. We tested both at work and decided we'd have no problem making a living off of them.

I use Snap ON, Craftsman, Matco and Gear Wrench daily.

Buy the one that fit your hands the best, they're slowly all becoming the same.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #41

Several years ago I was putting together a new shop at work. The boss went out and bought all new Kabolt Tools. A week later we took them all to his office, with quite a few broken, and said they were not safe to use. When youíre pulling really hard on a tool and it breaks itís not good. We declared them a safety hazard. Fill my tool box with Craftsmen tools please.

Larry
Old 08-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
One of the best adjustable wrenches in my toolbox is a 'Proto' brand one that I found while walking my dogs along a dirt road. Probably someone left it on their bumper or something. Never heard of it before, but I think it's a Stanley product too. It's not a 'pretty' tool, but it is every bit as good as my Craftsman adjustables are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I have a Proto 3/8" ratchet I found somewhere too. I would put Proto right up there with Husky and Craftsman.
Stanley Proto Industrial Tools