Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #43

I have a set of SK I bought 30 years ago. They have never let me down. I also have a standard craftsman set. The craftsman didn't come in a case the SK came in a metal case. And I still have the complete set because of that case.
I would buy SK again without hesitation and I'm sure craftsman would be fine for home use.

Jim
Kunysz513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #44

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like the responses are rating Craftsman and Kobalt about equal. Of course, I'd buy a 200 piece $500 Snap On set if I could afford it. Can't justify it though as they are for personal use, not for making money off of.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry koenn View Post
Several years ago I was putting together a new shop at work. The boss went out and bought all new Kabolt Tools. A week later we took them all to his office, with quite a few broken, and said they were not safe to use. When you’re pulling really hard on a tool and it breaks it’s not good. We declared them a safety hazard. Fill my tool box with Craftsmen tools please.

Larry
what kinda work do you do with hand tools that breaks a socket? Ive been using the kobalt/husky stuff for my "travel" tools and Ive yet to break any of them or use the warranty. That includes T handle allens and sockets.

If your work requires that much torque for hand tools... Id have to question your boss. My boss tried that "Harbor freight" tool garbage with our crews. I issued them all quality tools and there has been no complaints.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Taiwan made tools are starting to become the gold standard of tools. Even some of Snap On's new ratchets are made there.

The Craftsman line is almost (sadly) becoming all Chinese made. I have a huge set of Craftsman tools and am not liking what I see in the stores.

Through the years, one contract manufacturer after another made almost all of the "name brand" tools, including Craftsman. But today I believe those manufacturers are offshore.
My Craftsman tools are so old, they still have MADE IN USA stamped in them, and they lasted through my younger years when I was strong. Now that I'm getting old and weak, they'll last forever, so long as I don't forget where I left them!
Old 08-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #47

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a retired car/truck/everything mechanic and I have relied on craftsman tools all my life. I had three sets one for work one for home and one for the race car trailer. They don't make every tool you need but they do have the basics. I also bought some cheap tools to loan out.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Just looked at my KAL tools.. Thought they were Japanese, but, they are Made in Korea. Best, longest lasting tools I've had so far. I've actually beaten on the 3/8's ratchet with a 3lb hammer and all its good.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #49

Texas Boomers Club
I have an SK-Wayne ratchet set and set of SK-Wayne box/open end wrenches my uncle (who was a professional mechanic) gave to me back around 1966. He made a good living with them, they fed his family and sent my cousin to college, so he swore by them. They are still my favorite and the first ones I grab when I go to the toolbox if they will fit what I need to do.

The rest of the drawers in my tool cabinet are filled with Craftsman from the 60s and 70s with a few Kobalts when I've needed an odd size wrench or socket that I didn't have. The Kobalts feel a little "clunky" compared to my 1960-70 era Craftsman tools, but they do the job. They're probably a toss-up with the current Craftsman offerings.

Having said that, I'm not impressed at all with some of the recent (within the last 10-15 years) Craftsman ratchet wrenches I've bought. I've had some jump out of engagement when you "lean on 'em", some that won't ratchet worth a darn (the teeth don't want to re-engage), etc. The newer box and open end wrenches show evidence of cost-cutting as well compared to the older Craftsman wrenches.

If I had to make a living with them or had infinite funds, I'd love a bunch of rolling cabinets filled with Snap-On, Matco, Cornwell, or Proto tools, but for the way I use them, it would be hard to justify.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #50

Started turning wrenches in 1975 and at that time bought a lot of Snap-on and MAC tools with a few Craftsman thrown in. They have all worked well for me over the years. I have looked at some of the other brand tools and they seem to be OK but just have relied on what has worked for me.
If I was putting togather a 'cheap' tool set to carry on the road or while 4 wheeling, I would be spending time at the local pawn shops and picking through what they have. Some times one can pick out what they are looking for, for pennies on the dollar. When I use to work on fishing boats, I would buy some cheap sockets at a pawn shop. when I got on board I would throw a couple of the 'cheap' sockets in the bilge as a 'gift' to the bilge goddest. If I did not do that I would most likely loose one of my 'good' Snap-on tools to her.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
... When I use to work on fishing boats, I would buy some cheap sockets at a pawn shop. when I got on board I would throw a couple of the 'cheap' sockets in the bilge as a 'gift' to the bilge goddest. If I did not do that I would most likely loose one of my 'good' Snap-on tools to her.
LOL... Somewhere out there is a 1980 Chevy Monza with a 9/16" Craftsman in its fender..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #52

Working on Oilfield Equipment, often times using a cheater bar. For the most part the pipe wrenches were the weak point. We also had a vice that was pure junk. Rachets also won't take any cheater action.
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #53
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
The high chrome content of (also lifetime guaranteed) SK tools gives them the durability that Craftsman once had. Sears started cutting back on the chrome quite some time ago, and if you compare a thirty year old Craftsman wrench with a brand new one, you can easily see/feel the difference.

And all SK's are U.S.A. made !

I still have some S-K tools I bought in the late 50's. The 1/4" drive set still is original.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #54

Excel Owners Club
There are professional grade tools. They are well made and expensive.

Then there are consumer grade tools. Their quality control and precision are not as good. But, they cost less.

Craftsman, Kobalt and Husky are all consumer grade. They will do the job most of us shade tree mechanics need.

The Craftsman tools you buy today cannot hold a candle to Craftsman of yesteryear.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote