Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Craftsman or Kobalt or.....

Getting ready to install the Cheap Handling Fix and a Bilstein Steering Damper. All my mechanics tools were "borrowed" by my kids years ago, so I'm going to treat myself to a nice toolkit: sockets, ratchets, power bars, combination wrenches etc in metric and SAE. Question is, should I stick with good old Sears Craftsman with the lifetime warranty, or try the Kobalt brand sold at Lowes, or some other brand? I want good quality tools that will last, but not break the bank acquiring them.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
For the $, availability and warranty.....Craftsman IMO.

Buford B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm still using Craftsman wrenches and sockets that I bought 30 plus years ago. I have worn out a few ratchet, but they were replaced under warranty. They can now be bought at other than Sears. I've seen them at Ace, Kmart and out on the base at the BX. I've recently bought a few more to create small separate tool kits for the RV and and the '65. I have looked at the Kobalt Tools at Lowe's and they seem to be on a par with the Craftsman Tools.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Can't go wrong with Craftsman, no doubt. I've had really good results from my Kobalt tools too, which also have a lifetime warranty. I've never had to try to get a warranty replacement from Kobalt, because all mine are pretty new, so can't comment. I started buying Kobalt because Lowes is 5 miles from my house.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I have had Sears not replace Craftsmen..
Old 08-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Craftsman here, bought my first set when I was fifteen and still have most of it (people borrowed the rest) that was 55 years ago. I have added Craftsman tools over the years. I have a few other brands for various ad hoc tools but basically when I think mechanics tools I head for Craftsman. I have returned a few and they have been replaced without question.

My brother in law bought me a Christmas gift of one of the socket and multiple tool sets in the moulded plastic for the motor home. I use it constantly, very handy and must have been a bargin my brother in law is a thrifty guy. Labor day sales around the corner.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
By an overwhelming vote, looks like I'm heading to Sears.......
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I have a full set (400+ pcs) that I bought from Sears.. Most I still have Some I have broke. A couple Sears would'nt replace by saying they needed the receipt. Um, that was 25 years ago people.. Some of the wrenches have the chrome flaking off though..

I also bought a Stanley set in the molded case a few years back for $50 at Menard's.. GREAT set with a lifetime warranty.. Especially for the money.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #9

Craftsman is still a good product but not the quality it once was. With the lifetime warranty helps justify the lesser quality of modern times.
Kobalt doesn't look too bad when looking at them in the stores. I don't own any Kobalt. My Craftsman, SK, Mac, Snap On & Matco have been serving me well most of my life
Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had a Craftsman 12 pt thin wall break. Took it back to Sears and they replaced it with a thick wall 6 pt. I didn't notice till I got home.
Took a Craftsman hacksaw frame in (broken handle), lady took me to the hacksaw display and told me to select what I wanted. They had three models, I took the middle because that's what I brought in.
I've never had them ask me for a receipt.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #11

I bought some full size Kobalt side cutters and they went dull within a year. I have other brands that are still sharp and 30 years old.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283
Craftsman is still a good product but not the quality it once was. With the lifetime warranty helps justify the lesser quality of modern times.
Kobalt doesn't look too bad when looking at them in the stores. I don't own any Kobalt. My Craftsman, SK, Mac, Snap On & Matco have been serving me well most of my life
X2!
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am primarily a Craftsman guy. Received first few Craftsman tools as gift when I was teenager, which was quite awhile ago... Have aquired many many more Craftsman tools over the years. Have taken several, usually broken through abuse, some just wore out from years of use, for exchange - always swapped for same or better with no question asked or hesitation.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I have some Craftsman, but I prefer other brands. As a mechanic, I see having to return a tool due to premature wearing out or breaking as a loss of time & time is money. I have replaced more Craftsman than any other brand I own. I own brands from Snap on to Buffalo, and I am pretty sure the Buffalo are not made in NY but I have never broken one of their tools, mostly wrenches that I have.
For the quality I prefer Snapon screw drivers. As far as a decent set of tools that I have found for the price and a lifetime Warrenty I bought Northern tools for my set in the motor home. Have already had to replace a Phillips screw driver, no problem but they did require the receipt. Then when I produced the receipt they no longer had that particular screw driver so they gave me a $10 gift card. I should have followed my own advise and bought snap on screw drivers.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote