Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Just a suggestion for those of with onboard compressors, why not save the space and weight of adding an additional compressor in the bays and use you onboard compressor instead.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I got one from Costco last year. Motorcycle was low every spring, and almost impossible to find a gas station with the right bit to fill it. The label sys 110, but I bet it won't do a 22.5 tire. Guess I will have to get one of the Sears ones.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:54 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I got one from Costco last year. Motorcycle was low every spring, and almost impossible to find a gas station with the right bit to fill it. The label sys 110, but I bet it won't do a 22.5 tire. Guess I will have to get one of the Sears ones.
DO you have an onboard compressor for air bags and brakes? Can't tell the make of your rig form you avatar.

If you have an onboard compressor why not use it instead of purchasing one.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:26 AM   #32

Click User Name, View Public Profile, About Me.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:58 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Just a suggestion for those of with on-board compressors, why not save the space and weight of adding an additional compressor in the bays and use your on-board compressor instead.
I have seen people use their on-board compressor for inflating tires. It requires a very long hose depending on the exact location of the outlet fitting and how many tires you are dealing with. My trailer tires are way back there which would require an extra long hose. And to top off any 22.5 inch tire it requires that not only your engine is running, the compressor must be running too. That generally requires two people, one outside and one inside pumping the service brakes to activate the compressor.

For me, that's too much trouble to go through all of that versus starting the gen-set, plugging in my portable Husky and topping off the tires wherever needed.

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Freightliner chassis, I'm sure I do have an onboard, but it would just be easier to have a portable. I'm sure it's easier to deal with an extension cord rather than the extra long bulky compressor hose. My unit is 40 ft, Holiday Rambler Endeavor, DP just for those who wonder.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I have seen people use their on-board compressor for inflating tires. It requires a very long hose depending on the exact location of the outlet fitting and how many tires you are dealing with. My trailer tires are way back there which would require an extra long hose. And to top off any 22.5 inch tire it requires that not only your engine is running, the compressor must be running too. That generally requires two people, one outside and one inside pumping the service brakes to activate the compressor.

For me, that's too much trouble to go through all of that versus starting the gen-set, plugging in my portable Husky and topping off the tires wherever needed.

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
To eliminate the need for the second person I installed an in-line bleeder valve just before the tire inflator so I can bleed the system down to cause the compressor to run.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Freightliner chassis, I'm sure I do have an onboard, but it would just be easier to have a portable. I'm sure it's easier to deal with an extension cord rather than the extra long bulky compressor hose. My unit is 40 ft, Holiday Rambler Endeavor, DP just for those who wonder.
I used a 1/4" poly hose rather than the 3/8" rubber hose. 50' coils up 8" in diameter and 5" tall. 50' gets me way more than i need. It's 30' to my rear tires. I only deal with the hose not an extension cord and a compressor. Frees up space and weight. At home I still use the compressor in my garage.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pawn shop air compressor

2 Gallon Twinstack Air Compressor Item Number: FP2095

There is not a thing wrong with that Craftsman compressor. I was waiting until it went on sale when I ran across one of these little guys at the local pawn shop this summer. He had it marked for $50, I offered him $30 and he took $35. Came with one of those cheap 1/4", coiled, 50' hose and an almost worthless brad nailer. This one works like a new one. You have to watch what you get at these places, but every now and then you can find a deal.
Attached Images

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #38

This weekend, I had to beg someone to take one of those yellow coiled hoses off my hands. They're a PIA. Always getting tangled with itself.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you need anymore coiled hoses, I have a few in the cabinets here in the garage just collecting dust. By the time you stretch one out I'm afraid the tension will rip my compressor loose from it's moorings.

Send me your address and I will ship them right out.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any One know the Country of Origin for this compressor. Porter Cable compressors are made in the USA.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:04 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
Any One know the Country of Origin for this compressor. Porter Cable compressors are made in the USA.
Not to get "off topic" but when you see Made in USA, that doesn't necessarily mean that ALL of the parts and components were made in the USA. It simply means that it was assembled in the USA.

What I am seeing more of now are products made in China distributed by a significant amount of American companies. No wonder the American public has problems finding jobs, they have all gone overseas where there are no unions, and the people are overjoyed to be able to work and earn a small income even though it may be a measly one as compared to American standards.

We have priced ourselves out of jobs so to speak. And we have no one to blame except ourselves. Greed and fortune will destroy any powerful country which used to be the USA until another one emerges which China is quickly becoming the "New" world leader in more ways than just population.

Sorry about getting Off Topic. Back to the topic at hand, air compressors for our rigs. I own a 155 psi Husky 2 gallon unit purchased from Home Depot which does just OK. These small compact compressors just don't have the guts to inflate a 110 - 120 psi tire quickly or even just topping it off. When using these compressors, you need to make sure it is running full bore when filling or topping off at the higher psi's otherwise you will be waiting a long time.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:38 AM   #42

I have a 2 1/2 gallon, 2 HP, HF compressor and just last weekend, realized I don't have a long enough hose to reach to my trailer tires. Haven't had to use it on the MH tires, but couldn't use my Air/Hydraulic jack when I went to check if I had a brake dragging on the trailer.

Tags
compressor, sale