Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2007, 07:43 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
I had to travel to Melbourne FL on March 9th. On the way down 95, somewhere in GA, I caught a scary site traveling northbound. A 40 ft diesel pusher, towing a jeep of some sort, and the jeep had a trailer hooked up to it with 2 four wheelers on it. The next day as I returned home,again on 95 somewhere in GA, I was driving about 75 to 80 mph (in a normal pickup truck) and was passed by a dually towing one of those huge fifth wheels, (a Montana?)and behind the fifth wheel they were towing a dual axle enclosed trailer, evidently with motorcycles in it. There are some scary crazy individuals on Americas highways.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2007, 07:43 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
I had to travel to Melbourne FL on March 9th. On the way down 95, somewhere in GA, I caught a scary site traveling northbound. A 40 ft diesel pusher, towing a jeep of some sort, and the jeep had a trailer hooked up to it with 2 four wheelers on it. The next day as I returned home,again on 95 somewhere in GA, I was driving about 75 to 80 mph (in a normal pickup truck) and was passed by a dually towing one of those huge fifth wheels, (a Montana?)and behind the fifth wheel they were towing a dual axle enclosed trailer, evidently with motorcycles in it. There are some scary crazy individuals on Americas highways.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:37 AM   #3

Yea and they are breaking the law in Georgia you are not allowed to pull double trailers with an RV in Georgia.

Great Wife of many years
navyAZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are a lot of people other there that must have been in the end of the gene pool that got an extra dose of chlorine.

One question that I have to ask and it may cause some hard feelings...but why do you have to take every toy you have with you on an RV trip? Scooter, motorcycles, 4-wheelers, golf cart, personal water craft and the list goes on. Is it to see who has the most toys? Who has the biggest toys? Who has the most expensive toys? Or is just to see how much stuff you can transport?

My ideas on RVing is to keep it simple and enjoy the outdoors and good company around the campfire.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:08 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
There are a lot of people other there that must have been in the end of the gene pool that got an extra dose of chlorine.

One question that I have to ask and it may cause some hard feelings...but why do you have to take every toy you have with you on an RV trip? Scooter, motorcycles, 4-wheelers, golf cart, personal water craft and the list goes on. Is it to see who has the most toys? Who has the biggest toys? Who has the most expensive toys? Or is just to see how much stuff you can transport?
Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should see the parade on the freeway going out to Sturgis SD in the summer. The funniest are the Harley hospitals (I would love to own a Harley so don't get me wrong).
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should see the parade on the freeway going out to Sturgis SD in the summer. The funniest are the Harley hospitals (I would love to own a Harley so don't get me wrong). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will one-up that with a "you should see the journey to Burning Man!!"! That is a crazy thing to see - people transporting the makings of a 30 thousand-person city out to the desert. Quite a sight!!

--kevin (Burner)

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:03 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Txiceman. A better question might be why not? Its hard to play with the toys when they are sitting at home.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #8

Steve, the scariest to me was the guy with the 5th wheel. As someone else said, towing doubles in GA is illegal (count #1). If you were doing 75 and he passed you he undoubtedly was speeding (count #2). Any 2 axle enclosed trailer by design is generally over 18'; thus, his overall combined length was probably in excess of 65' (count #3). It is highly unlikely that any dually pick-up can legally handle the GCWR he was pulling with this combination(count#4).

I think the GA Highway Patrol would have had a real field day with this guy.

Because of these kind of clowns out there I personally think it is only a matter of time before we will be forced to go into truck weigh stations. Frankly, that is ok by me, as maybe this will put a stop to this kind of flagrant disregard for the safety of others on the highways. Ken,'04 DSDP...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:31 AM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by machman72:
....... and was passed by a dually towing one of those huge fifth wheels, (a Montana?)and behind the fifth wheel they were towing a dual axle enclosed trailer, evidently with motorcycles in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably headed to Bike Week in Daytona.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:27 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Safety comes first. Need for toys second. If you can bring your toys along safely then so be it. As for the trucker style scales hauling us in, I think any truckers who own rvs would soon sell them.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:33 AM   #11

" Flame Suit On "

Did those of you who were witness to these " Crazy Individuals " pick up your cell phone to call the authorities or say to yourself " I am too busy to get involved "

It is with attitudes like these that our Daughters, Sons, Mothers, Fathers, Aunts, Uncles, are needlessly injured or killed because of 2 people. The one doing it and the one that did not want to get involved by reporting it.

When something is so flagrant that any person with common sense feels it is not safe it should be reported immediately and the authorities will inspect and do what is right.

Figuring the next person down the road will call police will not help when that overloaded vehicle rear ends them.

I do not want to read complaints about these " Crazy Individuals " I want to read about the action that was taken to protect your fellow brother be it an RVer, Trucker, Mom & Dad and the Biker.

IronRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:36 AM   #12

One question that I have to ask and it may cause some hard feelings...but why do you have to take every toy you have with you on an RV trip? Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually that's easy to answer...we enjoy taking our Honda Goldwing with us. It is a wonderful time to set up base camp with the RV for a week and wander and see the signts on our motorcycle. We do such a trip to the Oregon coast every other year and then some other destination in the between years.

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Roberts:
...I think the GA Highway Patrol would have had a real field day with this guy... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they had been on I75 the cops in Dooley County would have pulled them and kindly featured them on "COPS". We know to watch our speed and driving in that county.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevegeorgetown:
Txiceman. A better question might be why not? Its hard to play with the toys when they are sitting at home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BRAVO!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote