Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #15

I lost my AMEX card few years back and they overnighted me my new card. I had it the next morning.
You can also have your credit card companies notify you when you make a charge over an amount, determined by you, hits the card.
Visa also notifies me via my smart phone of the days purchases and outstanding balance. It would make it easy to see if someone has skimmed your card and is using it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
One thing our credit card company does now, is to issue two different cards (numbers) to my wife and I. If one card is compromised, the other still works. We carry a Capitol One for purchases, PenFed for fuel and a couple of cards from our local bank.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
One thing our credit card company does now, is to issue two different cards (numbers) to my wife and I. If one card is compromised, the other still works. We carry a Capitol One for purchases, PenFed for fuel and a couple of cards from our local bank.
Our credit union started doing the same. Different numbers on our cards. This worked out nicely last year when somehow her card number was compromised. Mine still worked to buy fuel for the always hungry MH. New card was overnighted and small charges on her card removed.

We have stopped handing our cards to anyone that walks away with it like a server at a restaurant.

Do yourselves a favor and Google credit card skimmers then images. It will give you some idea what to look for at ATMs and gas pumps. One suggestion I read was that if it looks phony, try to pull the front off. Crooks put the skimmers on for short periods like a day or even hours and often use something like double stick tape.

This link may be helpful 5 Surefire Ways to Prevent Gas Station Credit Card Fraud | GOBankingRates
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always use my credit cards. I made sure that all have zero liability for fraudulent charges, and I feel at ease.

My Bank of America ATM debit/Credit Card was skimmed last November at Wonder Bakery, (943 N. Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90012), in Chinatown.

They charged $25,000 worth of stuff in Koreatown, and Hollywood in about four hours, living large. They purchased groceries, pallets of rice, televisions, car parts, liquor, and tobacco. The bank representative said it looked like a business was stocking up. However, Bank of America remedied the situation, closed the card, issued a new card, and obviously I didn't incur any of the spending spree.

The funny thing is that I use that card for my own personal businesses, so the bank saw nothing about the weird spending, so they didn't stop it. However, every time I visit San Diego, Santa Barbara, or virtually anyplace more than 100 miles from home, (I'm in LA/Orange county), they force a "decline" , and I have to call BofA and let them know that it's OK! What a PITA!

My MasterCard and Discover card have also been skimmed in the past five years, but they also have zero liability. So I was simply issued new cards when those incident occurred.

Interestingly, the MasterCard was the very first card that I received with the new RF chip. And it was skimmed within one month, while at the Corpus Christy, TX airport.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #19

I have had mine hacked 3 times, 2 of them in less than 6 months apart. We ride our motorcycle around the states a couple times a year and I believe every time it happened it was at a gas station. I had a charge on my statement for $8,000 for a spa in Pahrump, NV. I had no problem getting that removed and since then they have notified any time something looks strange. I will not swipe my card anymore at these stations, I take it in and give to the cashier. Not sure it is any safer but at least I don't stick it in the pump for that rip off method anymore. We also use the cash and we have more than one credit card as well just in case. Scammers and rip offs should make good target practice.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #20

Just got a pair of credit cards yesterday that I didn't apply for. One was in my name and the other was an unknown name. Called and found that it is identity theft, the sucker had my SS # and all kinds of private information on the application. I might be in for a lot of BS till this is settled. We need to get back to public hangings in the town square.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scammers and rip offs should make good target practice.
X2
We need to get back to public hangings in the town square.
X3
onlakegaston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlakegaston View Post
Scammers and rip offs should make good target practice.
X2
We need to get back to public hangings in the town square.
X3
I figure just like with computer hackers, everyone who is affected should get one kick.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #23

Thanks for all the tips! Unknowingly, I have pretty much, as mentioned, enough in the wallet to take care of traveling expenses. Three CC's, and different numbers for wife and I as well. Just frustrated that this happened again, and us starting to travel. And, with me going the extra effort to examine fuel pumps, watching people swipe cards on their machines, etc. I'm especially observant when I see them swipe twice, I look over their machines! Maybe fake, or not, video tape them with the cell phone~!
Old 02-05-2016, 02:13 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post

American Express card for Costco, as that is the only card they accept.
And that's going to stop in May as I understand it so far. Not sure what we'll do with the AMEX card then, probably just cancel it

So far we've had someone try and charge about $63,000 to an old AMEX card number at Wal*Mart.com TWICE. We had cancelled that card a few years ago and gotten a new one issued after some other fraud. The thing that bothers me about AMEX is even though that card has been cancelled they still have it on our records and would accept a charge on it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #25

Whenever we travel in the US I am amazed that card skimming is not more common than it is. All you need to have is a number and Bingo, off you go on a spending spree.
For years I have not signed the back of my cards. In place of a signature I write "Ask for ID". On a couple of occasions at a US Wallmart, I had a clerk refuse to accept my card without it being signed even after I showed her my Dr Lic with my signature which matched the one I had just made in front of her and, has my picture on it.
I asked the question, "How do you know I am the owner of this card simply because it is signed?" To which she replied, "that's our store policy". She actually would accept it if I signed it in front of her.
My policy was to shop elsewhere.

In Canada we have had Chip Cards for years. You must enter a PIN number to complete the transaction. Bars/Resturants all have portable machines they bring to your table.
Any purchase without entering a PIN raises a red flag with the CC provider. It is extremely rare to make a purchase Anywhere that the clerk or waiter takes your card off somewhere to swipe it. But this is normal in the US.
How many times have you been asked to confirm your identity when using you card?
It's a Card Skimmers Paradise.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
My bank has an App that lets me set different notification. In less then 5 minutes I will get a text saying when and were and how much was spent. I have it set up for no international purchase. Now I have for gotten to let the bank know I was traveling and fuel up in one state and when I try it again no go. They call my home but I'm not there so I have to call the bank. You will do this one time at a big box store and won't do it again. This is what I have been told. 😳😳
By my DW.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Whenever we travel in the US I am amazed that card skimming is not more common than it is. All you need to have is a number and Bingo, off you go on a spending spree.
For years I have not signed the back of my cards. In place of a signature I write "Ask for ID". On a couple of occasions at a US Wallmart, I had a clerk refuse to accept my card without it being signed even after I showed her my Dr Lic with my signature which matched the one I had just made in front of her and, has my picture on it.
I asked the question, "How do you know I am the owner of this card simply because it is signed?" To which she replied, "that's our store policy". She actually would accept it if I signed it in front of her.
My policy was to shop elsewhere.
Our AMEX is a business card and we had a merchant card account too. We got letters from the card companies telling us NOT to accept unsigned cards as it wasn't a valid card unless signed. That's why Wal*Mart wouldn't accept it and neither should anyone else as it's against the rules that govern card acceptance.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our AMEX is a business card and we had a merchant card account too. We got letters from the card companies telling us NOT to accept unsigned cards as it wasn't a valid card unless signed. That's why Wal*Mart wouldn't accept it and neither should anyone else as it's against the rules that govern card acceptance.
I too had a small business and am very familiar with that policy. Problem is, like I said in my post, unless the clerk does their part in asking for picture ID to verify the card holder, it's all for not. Anyone could be in possession of a signed card. Then, the CC company comes back on the merchant even when the merchant followed the rules.
After getting stung on a transaction by a person who actually had a Signed Card, I realized the signature was entirely worthless.
Although it has not eliminated card skiming, (the crooks are always one step ahead) the Chip Card has significantly reduced the problem. At least then the crooks have two dots to connect instead of one.