Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 08:30 AM   #1

Credit card skimming

For the second time in three years, one of our credit card numbers was skimmed and sold. The first time, 13,000 dollars in charges, and recently, just 650. Was wondering what people here do on the road, CC or cash?

When fuel runs 50-200 dollars, easy to use the CC. Less easy to walk in, lay down a couple hundred bucks, walk out and fill. We try to avoid the out of the way ATM's, filling stations, etc. when using the CC.

My fear, is carrying about with a few hundred bucks in my wallet. The other, is a skimmed card not being able to be used by myself; leaving me stranded. Dave
2004 Winnebago Vectra
1958 loving wife.
Grenadiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #2

I carry three different cards and my wife carries three different cards. This allows us to use alternative cards if we end up with an issue with any of the cards. We also get instant alerts on our cell phones if there is an issue. So far we have not had an issue using this method.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Credit card skimming

I use multiple credit cards to spread and limit risk.

Southwest Airlines for recurring bills and most transactions where I swipe - the card is physically not out of my possession. Limits the possibility of having to deal with a change of card number after theft making me deal with changing the many recurring payments. Earn points for flights on Southwest, one of the best points programs. IMO.

PenFed card for fuel. 5% off when swiped at the pump.

Bank of America Cash Back card for secondary swipe at fuel pump if 2nd swipe of Pen Fed card not allowed, and for any time the card must be out of my hand (such as at a restaurant) and is therefore at high risk of number theft.

American Express card for Costco, as that is the only card they accept.

And usually carry a couple few hundred in cash in my pocket.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #4

Most banks will overnight you a new card. Some charge for this service but some don't. If you are a big spender on the card, even the ones that want to charge will often agree to waive it when you point out that they will lose a couple of weeks worth of your charges to [fill in blank] other bank or Amex.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #5

If you have a built in safe, use it.
If not, put the cash you need for the fill-up in your front pocket and keep the rest in a Ziplock baggie under the floor mat or the carpet under the passenger seat or someplace similar.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
Community Administrator

We do the exact same since ours had been compromised three times during a two year period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I carry three different cards and my wife carries three different cards. This allows us to use alternative cards if we end up with an issue with any of the cards. We also get instant alerts on our cell phones if there is an issue. So far we have not had an issue using this method.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We do exactly this as well.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #8

We use Pen Fed card for good fuel saving also. We full time, but when home for DR visits we do depart with a sum of cash just for when there are those times when a good discount is offered for paying cash.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
My Bank sends me a text anytime a charge over $50 is done on any of my accounts within minutes or an hour.

Discover does the same. Over the years Discover has had to send me a new card two times overnight to the campground I was staying at. The text from them caught charges that wasn't mine. If I use the card in a store. I will get a text on the amount charged before I get out of the store.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have one credit card I use for fuel with a $500 limit on it. We pay it when it gets close to the limit. This way if someone gets it they don't get much.

I had a NEW debit card that I used at a hotel in Michigan last winter when I went to pick up a new RV . . . First time I used it. Before I got home someone at the hotel grabbed the numbers and charged up $800 worth of gift cards at Cabbellas in Orlando. Bank gave me all my money back and reversed charges. Cabbellas was able to put a stop on the gift cards so no one lost any $$$$$

We also carry cash in the RV and when we fill I will take like $150 out of kitty for fuel and not keep cash in wallet.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #11

We do pretty much the same as above. I don't know how good is, but has anyone used Credit Karma? I signed us up a few days ago. It is free and will send alerts to our cell phones of charges made over a limit that I have set and cash withdrawals or changes to our credit report.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Once your credit card has been compromised, run a credit check! Seriously. We have been victims of identity theft....pure nightmare for two years and it started with one compromised credit card. They even cancelled our health insurance! There are many ways to protect yourself, not all are failsafe for sure. We have two credit cards, that we check on daily...as we do our checking, savings and investments. Yes they did try to get our investment accountants, tho they had SSN's, it didn't work for them, thankfully.
Please protect yourself from these kind of thieves! When identity theft happens, you really feel like someone is watching you all the time. BTW, we were being key stroked on our home computers, thus we went to all Apple products and that ended....very expensive to do, but oh so worth it. That said, Apple products can be hacked, but it lessened our problems immensely.
We carry cash, but limit that to $200. And remember, debit cards are not protected like regular credit cards, so be very careful how and when you use debit.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:14 AM   #13

How do you think that your credit card numbers are being skimmed?

..online purchases?

..that cute server at the restaurant? <<< happened to my brother-in-law.

..some credit card skimmer hidden in the gas pump? <<< happened in Minnesota at least once.

..some portable card skimmer that can read your card? <<< happened in a commercial for a metal screened wallet.

Just trying to understand.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I lost my AMEX card few years back and the overnighted my new card. I had the next morning.
You can also have your credit card companies notify you when a charge over an amount, determined by you, hits the card.
Visa also notifies me via my smart phone of the days purchases and outstanding balance. It makes it easy to see if someone has skimmed your card and is using it.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote