Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In AZ, if you run any transaction through a dealer, they must take the vehicle across the state line for you to take possession. Otherwise, you need to pay AZ sales tax. Note: this is only for a dealer.

Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
In AZ, if you run any transaction through a dealer, they must take the vehicle across the state line for you to take possession. Otherwise, you need to pay AZ sales tax. Note: this is only for a dealer.
Not so sure about that. I bought a new Tiffin from an AZ dealer and they put an AZ temp tag on it to get me home to DE. DE then took their pound of flesh (and my firstborn) when I registered it there.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:24 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My mistake...! All of the ebay auctions from local dealers have a blurb in them about the state line deliveries. I misread them, as they say for buyers outside the United States, when I thought they said for buyers outside the state. Sorry about that! Since I live in AZ, I guess I just kind of skimmed that part. Something that is important in AZ is that any purchase from a private party pays NO tax on the transaction. This makes a tremendous difference in the final price of something like a motorhome since the rate in my county is 8.3%.
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #18

Thank you all for your comments. The hassles with the local Credit Union didn't end with my original post -- no matter what I suggested, they didn't seem to really give me a straight answer. They don't deal with RV loans very often, I suppose, and they were just really slow at wanting to work with me on this deal (since it is an out-of-state private-party with the rig 'owned' by the owners LLC in Montana) it was just too much for the Credit Union to handle. I guess they thought it was a scam and they'd never see their money or the title again.

It even reached the point where I asked the manager, "If I get the owners to personally drive the rig all the way from Arizona to your headquarters office and physically hand over the title... would you then move forward with the loan?" and the reply I got was something like, "If they did that, I am pretty sure we could work something out."

Well... "pretty sure" isn't a "yes" and it isn't a "no." That was the last straw for me. I wanted to be supportive of a local credit union that I've had for 20+ years, but I couldn't deal with it any more.

At the suggestion of a few people I called Southeast Financial... and they had me approved within a couple hours... and they've been very detailed and "on the ball" with the documentation and everything else. As they deal with a LOT of motorhome, boat, and other "toy" loans from people all over the states, they had their act together. I couldn't be happier. And, as a bonus, they even secured a rate almost two percent LESS than what the Credit Union offered (and I thought Credit Unions were supposed to be great for the best rates -- I guess that might be the case if they have experience with the type of loan you're trying to get).

Anyway... just wanted to thank everyone for pitching in and commenting. Thanks!!
Old 03-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
I had the same situation with a buyer for my previous MH. They wanted it in the worst way, but their CU would not transfer funds to my FDIC affiliated bank. I told the buyer good-bye and sold it to a party that had a real bank that knew how to purchase an out of state MH.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
get a home equity Loan

Credit Union & local Yokel Banks are out of their league. You can go to any city in America & buy a new Car, for as much as you are paying for your Motorhome, and you can get competitive rates from many sources.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Your Credit Union is telling you where to buy?

Did you laugh in their Face?
Old 03-26-2015, 09:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
get a home equity Loan

Credit Union & local Yokel Banks are out of their league. You can go to any city in America & buy a new Car, for as much as you are paying for your Motorhome, and you can get competitive rates from many sources.
We did the home equity loan (Line of credit) through our local NY credit union, then bought the MH in Fla. Since the house and not the MH secures the loan, there were no hoops to jump through. The Home Eq. loan was at half the APR of a used vehicle loan.

Our particular CU forgave the closing fees after 36 months, which was a $2K savings.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #23

Thinking I might be nervous about buying a coach from an LLC? How do you know that the person signing off on the title has the authorization to do that? That he's not a frustrated partner, or evading a divorce settlement? Better yet, how are you going to prove that to the local DMV when they ask (and they WILL!), especially when that person is several states distant, with your money in hand?
Old 03-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Better yet, how are you going to prove that to the local DMV when they ask...
ahicks -- That's a good question. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure how it will play out. There are no guarantees over any transaction. I'm not purchasing the coach blind, so it's not a "ghost" rig. As far as the LLC... they have all the paperwork and legal documents to show that they are the owners of the LLC. This is something that the bank required (they want to make sure that their money is safe).

This is not the first time I've seen this setup. My friend just purchased a Fleetwood Revolution from a couple down south -- almost an identical situation as mine. They purchased the coach new (cash) under their LLC in Montana, yet they lived in Mississippi. My friend is from Minnesota... so it was an out-of-state private party through an LLC in another state deal.

The whole "LLC in Montana" thing is apparently not uncommon with people looking for a tax break. Montana has some of the least restrictions on motorhomes, and the tax breaks can be substantial.

This "LLC in Montana" is so popular, in fact, that one state (Minnesota) was talking about going after people who do that (with a motorhome/boat/rec vehicle) with potential "intend to evade taxes." I'm not sure if they'll ever be able to do that -- it was just an article in a paper up there discussing it.

But... just because a bunch of wealthy people have accountants to guide them with this tax loophole doesn't mean that every situation is an honest one. I could be getting scammed. Then again, just about any private party deal (motorhome, car, or even an old 1970's boombox off Craigslist) could be a potential scam. There are few ways to protect yourself 100%. I've spoken with the owners and feel very confident about the deal. Super nice couple, and they've gone out of their way to help me work this deal out. If they are scamming me -- they're some of the best out there.

That said... I'll be flying out there for final inspection on Sunday. If all goes well, Monday morning we'll walk into the bank to complete the transaction. So -- I'm not purchasing anything blind.

I do appreciate your question/concern. I'll double-check with my DMV here in Texas to see what, exactly, they may require over anything that I'll already have in the form of paperwork.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #25

The Montana LLC's are very common in the motor home world. Motorhome Magazine and Good Sam's Highways mag have tons of adds in them for LLC service, usually in the $400-$500 range. Pocket change compared to the sales tax charged in most states on a $300-$500K and up rig. I'm sure the OP will not have any problems with his purchase as 99.9% of the time in the RV industry its just pretty normal folks looking to keep more of their already heavily taxed dollars in their bank instead of state and Washington when setting up these LLC's.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:53 AM   #26

You could physically go to the credit union to execute the security agreement.

Then go to Arizona and inspect the motor home, etc. If all is good, fax a copy of the title to the credit union--and take pictures of the RV and the VIN plate--verifying the serial and title numbers match.

Then get the seller to FedEx the title executed directly to the credit union. Upon receipt of the paperwork the next day, the funds could be wire transferred to the seller. Your loan officer could verify the transaction details by telephone.

Upon your return to Texas, take the title to the license bureau where you pay sales taxes and execute the title app with the credit union's lien notation.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
I live in NC and bought a vintage Mustang from a private party in Kansas. Was assured title in hand. They cut me a cashiers check, I flew out to Kansas , saw the title, we went to their bank had them notarize. the title and gave them the check Kansas does not require that to be done but NC does. It was a smooth transaction.
103holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #28

Didn't BOA stop doing RV loans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
We actually got a lot better rate at Bank of America, than we did with our credit union so you may want to check with your personal bank. I wonder if the seller met with you at the Credit Union with the title in hand if that would help, if he wants to sell it it may be worth the trip for him.

Tags
dealer, purchase