Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 11:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
So what your saying is these 2 guys made your motorhome more secure for you locking both locks after they spent some time hanging out under your awning and then waited around for you to return to make sure nothing happened to your rv??? Your dog probably didn't have to pee cause they took him out to do his business while enjoying the shade under the awning. Never heard of criminals worried about locking up after they leave and then hanging around the place they just broke into. Especially ones carrying keys to your deadbolt...

I thought the same thing.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 05:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Is there more to the incident? The police didn't show or were worthless - how did you and your son resolve the problem?

Like others we have overnighted at WM many times without concern or issues but we haven't overnighted at WM in some of the high crime places like some areas of the LA basin or other large cities.

Police did not show and my son just drove around the parking lot til I came out. We don't know we're the guy went but he would have had his last day if he had got a door open or broke out a window.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:26 AM   #17
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
Any way, drove to the campground and went to open the awning... the front arm latch on the awning was open and the rafter knob was almost completely unscrewed. That's when it finally hit me, because I definitely checked the awning before leaving the previous campground.
My awning is different and I don't understand this part. What sort of nefarious activity does this indicate?
Old 09-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have stayed in walmarts in at least 20 states and at least 50 to 100 times, more than either my wife and I can remember. While I am always careful as i stated in a previous post, I have NEVER had a problem. This includes walmarts in metro areas as well as rural. Its a point a to b situation and I drive late, usually until 2-4 am and then stop in a walmart until 8 to 10 am and continue on. When we arrive I sometimes go right to bed or if wound up a bit, go in and do my shopping and then go to bed. I think the folks I see sitting in their cars are either employees waiting to go in for their shifts or relatives picking up walmart workers. Either way, the banger is on the night stand and I sleep well.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #19

I guess one guy could have looked like he owned the RV by messing with the awning while the other guy tried his keys or picking stuff. So you saying he ended up locking the lock you never use? They probably were sleeping in their car broke and didn't get the door open so figured you wouldn't know. Perhaps the dog barked? I had a guy knock on my door at a walmart one night. I figured maybe a worker or the cops so I was dumb and opened the door to a beggar. I said no and he looked like he was moving to grab the door as I slammed it on him. I'm sure the fact that its up two steps and I am pretty big and only 53 at that time made him hesitate.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I see no such stories on TV each week. I don't believe this is true. Documentation, please.

We overnight in WM from time to time when traveling. We have had no difficulties.
if you missed the broadcasts then a quick Google search will provide plenty of videos and reading;
https://www.google.com/search?q=walm...lice+incidents
Old 09-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
The DW and I have been on the road for two years now and just experienced our first known criminal intent episode.

We pulled into a busy Walmart parking lot - after all, it was Labor Day - parking along the edge of the lot near a grassy area to walk the dog. Noticed a couple guys in a car parked about 50 feet away - not unusual. Finished walking the dog and proceeded to the store.

Returned after about 30 minutes and noticed the two guys still there. A little unusual. DW unlocks the door and remarks "Oh, you locked both locks". I had only locked the deadbolt, but didn't think much of it. Upon opening the door, our 90 lb Lab/Hound was standing at the door, which he never does. He always slowly awakens from his nap when we get back. So I think - he has to pee. I let him out and he puts his nose to the ground and begins to hunt. After a while, I see he is not interested in peeing and take him back in. I then notice the windows are now rolled up in the car with the two guys still in it. Now, it's only about 80 degrees and cloudy, but their car wasn't running, so no A/C.*

Okay, I am a bit slow, and while a bit suspicious, wasn't really alarmed. Maybe smoking some dope, I thought.

Any way, drove to the campground and went to open the awning... the front arm latch on the awning was open and the rafter knob was almost completely unscrewed. That's when it finally hit me, because I definitely checked the awning before leaving the previous campground.

Background: A couple years ago I read here about someone having their MH ransacked while shopping. They evidently used a key common to RV's as nothing was damaged to enter and they had locked only the door latch. Since then we have only used the dead bolt lock which requires a separate key. Also, advise was given to park with the door of the RV facing the store. I do this most of the time, however it is not always practical in a crowded lot. This was one of those times.

I don't know if it was the deadbolt, our dog, or both that prevented a theft, but our hackles have sure been raised.

* I believe they rolled the windows up while our dog was sniffing to conceal their smell.

Sure sounds like you dodged a bullet on that one! We ALWAYS lock our deadbolt, and have very loud alarm on the entry door!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I don't know if it was the deadbolt, our dog, or both that prevented a theft, but our hackles have sure been raised.
Thank you, Okiedoke, for the head's up. We sure do live in a different world nowadays, glad you had a good outcome.
On the Road with 8 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
My awning is different and I don't understand this part. What sort of nefarious activity does this indicate?
My take on the matter:
One guy attempted to enter the MH with a common key by trying to open each lock. The key wouldn't fit the deadlock, but did work on the latch lock and in his haste left that lock engaged when his efforts failed to open the door. The other guy was standing watch by peering through the passenger window, next to the front awning arm. Either he was acting as if he was attending to the awning as the RV owner might, or perhaps they were upset about their failure and wanted to perform a type of sabotage.

Bottom line is that I learned the benefit of using the door deadbolt. Also, it would probably help to park with the entry door facing ih a high visibility location.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess I don't understand what was gained by sitting there in the car if indeed they had attempted to break in. Why wouldn't they just leave before you returned?

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I guess I don't understand what was gained by sitting there in the car if indeed they had attempted to break in. Why wouldn't they just leave before you returned?
Maybe the same reason some bad guys have actually dropped their id at the scene of a robbery on the way out. These folks aren't grade A scholars to say the least.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clicker1944 View Post
Maybe the same reason some bad guys have actually dropped their id at the scene of a robbery on the way out. These folks aren't grade A scholars to say the least.
I may be missing something, but I don't see any proof that the guys in the car did anything other than sit there.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you need to buy Fido a nice steak for lunch...

True story: Police car, jet black interior (Station wagon) two kids going through the lot (Which the officers were patrolling) acting, and I stress ACTING suspicious (They were good kids, they were not intent on criminal behaviour like breaking into cars they were just playing at it for the cops) One officer says to the other "See where they are headed?" (Their car) Other officer "yup",, 1st: Sargent is in that car (Their jet black canine) "Yup" "Let's watch" "Yup"

Poor officers, dang near had to return to station for clean uniforms.

You see. Sgt. the dog (Big black lab) would fold his paws over his nose, then half close he eyes so you could not see him.. Kids rapped on the window of the station wagon from outside and suddenly it was FULL OF DOG all teeth and snarl..

Kids dang near broke sound barrier.

It was all the officers could do to keep from falling down and getting their uniforms dirty laughing.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #28

The guys in the car wanted to finish their nights sleep.. they had no drug money to go party with. All assumptions for sure.