Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #15

Can you do it? Yes
Do I do it? No. I don't like the idea of flying hot stuff in case of emergency stopping. Amazing what can and will shift even though I thought it was ancored down. I plan ahead for stops which need dinner ready when we arrive by fixing something that can be popped in the convection\ microwave and ready in minutes.
But then moving around in rig underway is not something we do either.
Just how we do it. Others may disagree

Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #16
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
Can you do it? Yes
Do I do it? No. I don't like the idea of flying hot stuff in case of emergency stopping. Amazing what can and will shift even though I thought it was ancored down. I plan ahead for stops which need dinner ready when we arrive by fixing something that can be popped in the convection\ microwave and ready in minutes.
But then moving around in rig underway is not something we do either.
Just how we do it. Others may disagree

We do the same. It's always preferable to use common sense in these situations.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #17

A crockpot in a sink is not going to be flying around - even if you have to stop suddenly. Besides the sink is typically not right next to where you're sitting. Crockpots are heavy. They're not going to fly. There are many more objects that can fly around like that cabinet above your head coming open and things being tossed out.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #18

Ron's concerns are certainly valid. In the event of a serious accident, the contents of the pot could conceivably injure someone. However, knowing my coach as I do, I realize that the only way I could stop abruptly enough to lift the crock pot and its contents out of the sink would be to hit a tree. If I did that, the flying pot-roast would be the least of my concerns!

Life is full of risks. We must each decide which ones are worth taking and which are not. It's a personal decision with no right or wrong answer.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #19

Where can I get a list of the initials I need to use when reading or writing posts like DW etc.?
2bassbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #20

Here's a start.

Terminology
Old 06-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Reading about the inverter.. If your Slow Cooker uses ELECTROINC controls (most do not) then a MSW inverter may bother it.

If it uses a basic bi-metal Mechanical switch type Thermostat then any inverter will work just fine with it if you want to run it off the inverter.. Alas CrockPot does not include the power needs in their manuals. So I looked up a West Bend: 210 Watts, 120 volts, AC only. Thats only 20 amps at 12 volt your alternator should be able to handle it easily.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #22

Thanks SilverBob! That should help a lot.
2bassbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:36 AM   #23

I want to thank each one of you for your info. Thats what makes this forum great. I dont use a crockpot alot, but just wanted to know for when the time comes. Once again, thank you.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:59 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just baked a batch of Swedish meatballs last night in our Sticks-n-Bricks home and will put them in our crock pot with the gravy tomorrow for a quick weekend getaway. They will simmer in the crock while driving to our boondock location so that they'll be hot and ready for dinner upon arrival. I take a shortcut on the mashed potatoes with the store-bought microwave packages, but they are surprisingly adequate when covered with homemade meatballs and gravy!
Old 06-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I might add.. Truck stops carry the Burton lunchbox slow cooker. May be carried under another label..But I have one.

This one locks closed can run on 12 or 120 volt and is very nice. It is small however

I have been known to drop a liner in it,, Drop some chicken and BBQ sauce,, Drive a good distance and park.. DINNER is served.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
We've done a couple of crockpot meals while underway. We've got enough charging/inverter capacity that we don't need to run the generator - so it's not a big deal in terms of power. Like everybody else - we put the crockpot in the sink. Our crockpot is a small one - and fits like it was made to sit in the smaller of the two sinks - so no towels or shimming is necessary. Hard to be the smell of home cooking when you're getting close to your destination!
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We use the crock pot with the inverter when on the road. The pot goes in the sink where it can't fall over or off a table top. Sure makes the MH smell nice on a cold winter day.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote