Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #1
Crock Pot Cooking

I found on the forum several things under crock pot. However, maybe I missed it, I did not find the answer to my question. Here goes:#1- I have to run the gen when going down the road cause my dash air is out. So could I run the a/c and a crock pot at the same time going down the road? #2- I think I have an inverter I bought to use on a semi I drove, would this be the same inverter to use for the crock pot? I believe it was a 1000 watt one. Thanks for any help on this matter!!

98723A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The Genny in your RV should provide you with adequate ac voltage to power more than just your AC units. My only concern would be placement of the crockpot. My wife says that in the sink wrapped in towels is what she has been told to do. Not sure if that would create a fire hazard or not.

Jim & JoAnn Smith
2006 Monaco Diplomat

Toad 2011 Buick Enclave
Det Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
Appalachian Campers
sounds like a plan! not sure why you want an inverter with the generator running.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
1000 watts should be plenty for any crock pot! Ours says 160 watts on it. Of course, if you're running the genny anyway,....

DW found a rubber mat that goes under a dish drying rack. She puts it in the sink, sets the crock pot on it, and off we go! No sliding around or rattling while under way.

It sure is nice to get somewhere and already have a nice hot meal waiting!
SilverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
We have run a small crock pot off an inverter, while under way, in our boat at 7 mph.

The MH, maybe risky. I suppose, you could tie it in the oven, for safety.

Look on the bottom of the crock pot, It will list the watts it uses. Less then 1000 and your good to go, with a 1000 watt inverter.

Divide the watts by 12 volts, to see how many amps it uses. Then you can decide if your batteries and charging system can handle it.

The generator will surely run it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
Generator will provide plenty of power for crock pot and A/C, no inverter needed. Crock pots usually need anywhere from 6 to 10 hours to cook so you must be on a long road trip or stopping at a place that you can plug into. The sink is the best place to put it so it will not slide or tip and make a mess. Those things get pretty hot so I would not think wrapping it in towels would be a good decision.
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
Does not get so hot to be hazzard but towels still may not be good.

Empty 3 liter pop bottles or milk jugs would work well.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My crock pot fits nicely in the left basin of our kitchen sink (the larger one), so I move the faucet to the right side (in case we need water or there are any drips) and cook while traveling with the crock safely nesting in the left sink with no risk for falling off the counter. Love arriving and not having to cook the main course!
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
I agree that with a generator there will be no issues running the crock pot. If you chose to try an inverter you will need to be careful. If the crock pot is electronically controlled (ie digital) then you will need a true sine wave inverter not a modified sine wave. If however the crock pot is mechanically controlled a MSW inverter of the right size would work. The other thing to consider with a "portable" inverter will be the size of wiring from the battery to the inverter based on the distance and amps needed. It is possible to run a crock pot that way just need to be careful.

mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #10
Another trick I've used to prevent spills is to anchor the lid down. Many years ago, I needed to transport a full crockpot to a dinner.

I'd just bought two "Band-It" round bungees for garbage cans. Looked at the band, then the crock pot...hmm... By hooking the band on the the side handle, twist into an x, go over lid handle, x again and hook onto opposite side handle... the lid is secured tight. This was on a larger oval crock pot, but has also worked on smaller ones with a little tweaking.
Sharon-'61...DH,Jeff-'62...5 Camping Chi's
2003 Gulfstream Mako 30' FW, 2 slides
2001 Chevy 2500HD, 8.1 & Allison trans.
Chiis Plz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #11
You've received good answers that yes, you can do it......now get cooking!

We've tooled down the Alaskan Highway with the wonderful smell of BBQ ribs simmering in the crockpot. Awesome! We, too, just put ours in the sink on a small rubber mat.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We run the roof air and a crock pot on the genny a lot of times going down the road. The DW bought one that the lid clamps on, and sets it in the sink. She will stuff towels along side of it to keep it from moving around.
Tricia & Dennis Lockhart
2010 Ventana 4333
Spartan MM w/Cummins 360 ISC
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #13
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will make it easy: YES

Depending on the slow-cooker (Crock-Pot is a brand name) you put it in the sink and may need to "Shim" around it a bit to keep it from accidently turning over.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #14
Done it a few times. In the sink it goes with some towels or whatever is handy to keep it steady. damn thing will not die. we have had it almost 10 years and bought it at goodwill and i am pretty sure it was made in late 70's. I refuse to replace it just because something made in this century or the last 20 years looks better.

I do keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case it gives up the ghost

jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote