Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Crock pot on 12 volt or an inverter

I only have a 300 watt inverter in my Winnebago Voyage 33V but I was wondering if anyone has thought or done about using a crock pot off the 12 volt batteries or off their inverter?

I have been reading about how good crock pots are in the MH but just don't see it driving down the road, or while dry camping (like at Disneyland for the day with dinner ready when we go out for dinner). I know it will work while hooked up in the RV park while out hiking in Yellowstone next summer.

But what about batteries or inverter (not just my 300 watt, but in general)

Thank you for the input

James n Julie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #2

We do and so do a lot of others. We run ours off the inverter while driving. Don't quite get the don't see it driving down the road comment. If you put it in the sink there's little chance of a spill and it's pretty awesome to have dinner ready when you arrive at your destination. If you use a liner in the crockpot there's very little cleanup. Haven't tried to use it dry camping but it will probably put a good hit on the batteries. Now that we have 450 watts of solar we may give it a try. Without solar it's probably going to use ~80 amp hours from the battery bank for a typical meal.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/no-po...ng-309775.html
Old 12-12-2016, 05:28 PM   #3

The DW uses our small (200, 250 watt ?) crock pot in our cruising boat. She checks the weather for a sunny day, so the 675 watts of solar panels will cover some charging, the crock pot, and fridge load, while anchored.

In the MH, we need to be on the road so the alternator covers the load. 300 watts of solar won't do it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i was thinking about not running down the road with the generator running just for a crock pot, mostly just wondering if anyone did it.

I guess if my inverter will cover 300 watts and the crockpot is 240 watts I could run it on my inverter and try it in the sink.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesnJulie View Post
i was thinking about not running down the road with the generator running just for a crock pot, mostly just wondering if anyone did it.
Generators need exercising under load anyway. That would be a perfect time to do so. It's great to drive all day and have dinner ready.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:33 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We usually travel with our generator on, running either AC or electric heat (depending on season) & having the hot water heater & fridge on...all to keep the generator exercised. I've often had dinner cooking in the crock pot, in the sink/padded with kitchen towels. Great to have dinner ready after a long travel day.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:07 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
we're liking this idea!
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Me too monk
Old 12-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesnJulie View Post

I guess if my inverter will cover 300 watts and the crockpot is 240 watts I could run it on my inverter and try it in the sink.

Thanks
If it's just two of you look into the smaller crockpots (not the tiny ones). The one we use in the mh is smaller than the big one we use in the S&B but more than large enough to cook a meal for 2 - 4 people. It's under 200 watts on high.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #10

Thermal cookers need no power. They have some limitations, but when figured out work very well.

Home Page | Thermal Cookers | Saratoga Jacks
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Thermal cookers need no power.
jackfish
That is simply NOT TRUE.
Power is needed to generate the heat to bring the food in the pot "to a boil"... (and to "simmer it" for 10-15 minuets).
See: https://www.google.com/#q=how+does+a...al+cooker+work

Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchopper View Post
jackfish
That is simply NOT TRUE.
Power is needed to generate the heat to bring the food in the pot "to a boil"... (and to "simmer it" for 10-15 minuets).
See: https://www.google.com/#q=how+does+a...al+cooker+work

OK, the discussion was electrical power. A propane cooktop can provide the heat needed. 110 VAC from an inverter is not necessary.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:49 PM   #13

We use ours all the time on inverter. We drive with the inverter on a lot of ttimeand run the crock pot and fridge on ac power since the engine is running anyway and the alternator is generating power if the battery is pretty much topped off why not use the extra power?

We use it dry camping also but we have the battry power and solar to support it. it really does not take a lot of power once it gets past the first 15 min or so and gets hot.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, inverter