Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #43

The poor service that we, "the public" has to deal with is a disgrace. When i find a company that just does the right thing i find my self blown away and grateful, (That shows how bad things have gotten). We need to stick together, expose these operations, and starve them out of business, G

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #44
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm glad you got some satisfaction from them & thanks for letting us know what they did for you.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:24 PM   #45

Curious if you are going to let them fix the toilet?

Seems like things worked out pretty well after all is said and done.

P32 Workhorse chassis
RocketDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
No I won't go back there. I'll try another repair shop for the toilet, or just use the other toilet and not worry about it.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelj View Post
I am proud to sy that I have had excellent dealings with the dealer who has sold me two used Class A. Fair honest dealings with the purchase, went to extremes to make sure everything was in good condition when we got it. free service and replacement on anything for the first month, and excellent service and repair work later, at a fair price. Alas, they only service what they sell, so I can't send folks there for help. However, if one has a problem in the local area, I could probably talk them into working in a new customer.
Are you saying they only service the units they sell or only service the brands they sell?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While my RV was under factory warranty, I never paid a dime for anything that I took it back to the dealer for. They never charged me a thing for tightening loose screws, fixing rattles, or checking to see if something was covered by warranty.

They worked on my Onan generator for 8 hours, couldn't find the problem, took it out and delivered it to the Onan repair facility. Onan had it for 24 hours and couldn't get it to fail. Dealer reinstalled it and it failed again. The finally found a defective wire connection in the RV wiring. I don't know how many hours they finally spent but I wasn't charged a dime.

A factory warranty should mean something.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #49

I believe that the concept of "customer service" seems to have escaped most businesses. I deal on a constant basis with small companies who cry about "being put out of business by Wal-Mart." I explain to them, in the simplest terms I know how, that it's not hard to compete with Wal-Mart. Sell what people want, and give them better service than they see elsewhere, and you'll never want for business.

Now, as to this dealership, it's my experience that often one location of a chain (as Ancira is) can have way more than its share of bad service. When I dealt with a truck dealership in Dallas, I checked behind their backs with the customer service people of the manufacturer. They informed me that that one dealership had more complaints and service problems than all the other dealerships in the district (5 states) combined. It wasn't hard to track down the problem, and the dealership recently changed hands at the demand of the manufacturer.

On just a little side note, someone mentioned putting a credit card charge in dispute. This is very difficult when it comes to car or home repairs. The dealership has an automatic mechanic's lien on the vehicle, and if you don't want some really nasty surprises to come to you in the mail from the DMV, don't even think about disputing a charge for a repair.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by [LEFT
mrblanche[/LEFT];622905]I believe that the concept of "customer service" seems to have escaped most businesses. I deal on a constant basis with small companies who cry about "being put out of business by Wal-Mart." I explain to them, in the simplest terms I know how, that it's not hard to compete with Wal-Mart. Sell what people want, and give them better service than they see elsewhere, and you'll never want for business.
Your concept is admiral but the realty is we complain about poor service while at the same time we are willing to accept poor service for a lower price. Wally Worlds expansion is proof of this concept. In your scenario it seems all you have to do is give super service and price doesn't matter...tell that to the hordes that wander the Wal Mart, Home Depot and Lowes isles looking for a (?) because there is nobody there to give service. They will spend hours walking up and down isles because they are convinced they will save money waiting on themselves.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #51

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Crooks or Normal RV Dealer?

"Normal RV Dealer"

rocket dork may be another one. They pay their help $10 or $15 an hr. , charge you $100- $120 per hour. They figure we bought these expensive MH's so we must have more money than brains. We should know that if we want them to be inconvenienced to look at our land yacht's problems, of course they are going to gouge us whether they fix it or not.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #52

Yes, but the mechanic isn't their only cost. Not even their biggest cost. They have to pay for every square foot of that dealership, every lift, every light, every kilowatt of electricity (even the lot lights that are on at night), every shop rag, every window, everything. And they have to do it on the profit from the sales of RV's, parts, and service.

Thirty years ago, when I was in real estate, we had a calculated "desk cost" for every agent. If we had an agent for every desk, the cost then was just a little over $500 per month. I'm sure the cost to the dealership for every service bay today, before they ever open the doors, is upwards of $10,000 per month.

As to Home Depot-- You probably haven't seen it, because it didn't run very long, but Lowes had an ad that showed a customer wandering the aisles, echoingly calling, "Hello?" The tag line on the ad: If you think it's hard to work at Home Depot, you should try shopping there. (This was when Home Depot was advertising how hard they trained their help.)

I currently work for a company whose name you would recognize. We are a large corporation, currently privately held. We compete with Wal-Mart head-to-head for part of our merchandise. In fact, before the Christmas season, Wal-Mart stated that their goal was to put us out of business by the end of the Christmas season. (So, if you follow that kind of news, you now know who.) On the contrary, we had our best Christmas season ever, while Wal-Mart did only so-so in the departments where they compete with us.

My wife does contract work for another Wal-Mart competitor. Again, they're doing very well, while Wal-Mart is eliminating the department that competes with them in most of their remodels, such as our local store.

Sam made one big mistake: He encouraged part-time work in an effort to reduce benefit costs for employees. His kids have made at least 3 more: They eliminated his "Bring it home to America" program, they borrowed money to expand, and they cut staffing so that Sam's "You're next in line" checkout program no longer worked. The result is that Wal-Mart's stock has done nothing for almost 10 years now.

And competitors, true competitors, still triumph. I'd rather have a smaller, loyal customer base willing to pay what I need to charge than a larger, fickle customer base always looking for the lowest cost.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Yes, but the mechanic isn't their only cost. Not even their biggest cost. They have to pay for every square foot of that dealership, every lift, every light, every kilowatt of electricity (even the lot lights that are on at night), every shop rag, every window, everything. And they have to do it on the profit from the sales of RV's, parts, and service.

Thirty years ago, when I was in real estate, we had a calculated "desk cost" for every agent. If we had an agent for every desk, the cost then was just a little over $500 per month. I'm sure the cost to the dealership for every service bay today, before they ever open the doors, is upwards of $10,000 per month.

As to Home Depot-- You probably haven't seen it, because it didn't run very long, but Lowes had an ad that showed a customer wandering the aisles, echoingly calling, "Hello?" The tag line on the ad: If you think it's hard to work at Home Depot, you should try shopping there. (This was when Home Depot was advertising how hard they trained their help.)

I currently work for a company whose name you would recognize. We are a large corporation, currently privately held. We compete with Wal-Mart head-to-head for part of our merchandise. In fact, before the Christmas season, Wal-Mart stated that their goal was to put us out of business by the end of the Christmas season. (So, if you follow that kind of news, you now know who.) On the contrary, we had our best Christmas season ever, while Wal-Mart did only so-so in the departments where they compete with us.

My wife does contract work for another Wal-Mart competitor. Again, they're doing very well, while Wal-Mart is eliminating the department that competes with them in most of their remodels, such as our local store.

Sam made one big mistake: He encouraged part-time work in an effort to reduce benefit costs for employees. His kids have made at least 3 more: They eliminated his "Bring it home to America" program, they borrowed money to expand, and they cut staffing so that Sam's "You're next in line" checkout program no longer worked. The result is that Wal-Mart's stock has done nothing for almost 10 years now.

And competitors, true competitors, still triumph. I'd rather have a smaller, loyal customer base willing to pay what I need to charge than a larger, fickle customer base always looking for the lowest cost.
I agree with everything you said... And yes they do have to make a profit on every aspect of their operation or they won't be around long.... That however, is not my problem as the customer. I give them my money to do things right and not charge me ridiculous amounts of money (subjective I know) for some small items. In this economy, many outfits can't seem to operate in the "bigger picture mode"..., and treat me like a future new rig sales customer.
All that said, I agree with the second part of your reply, and I as a business man would much rather be in a position to compete with the giants who simply can't adjust the way a small business can. It's like the old "battle ship versus a frigate" A small company, if smart and customer service oriented can out maneuver the big guy most of the time.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I found out this week-end about C/W's installation ability. Now understand I didn't have the awing installed on the m/h I own now. It is an electric extend-retract patio awning- it would not extend all the way out. There was just enough of the front flap exposed so you know there was in fact one there. After 1 1/2 hours of loosening screws-up & down the ladder- I figured the awning had simply been installed on the side of the M/H. None of the adjustments had ever been set for the awning to operate as intended. The top arms were 8" out of adjustment & the drive strap adjustment 4" too short. I found the receipt for the work done at a C/W in Florida. I'm sure the installer pushed the button (went out) pushed retract(came in) said "good job". Maybe the previous never used it. I don't know - but if it's mine I want things to work as described. I figured the problem out and solved it. 40 yrs. in the auto and boat business has taught a lot of trouble shooting and solutions. No I don't "know it all"and never will. Duct tape for non-moving and wd-40 for moving.
Safe Travels
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
The next project is to figure WHY the inside cover of the front entrance door is secured with Velcro. Hopefully the rattle and whistle will be solved.
Any suggestions?
Safe journeys
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #56

A dealer should know the basic troubleshooting! It must be a pain to go in for repairs and not get anything repaired! If they dont know basic troubleshooting then they shouldnt be dealers! That goes for everything on the market.