Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2016, 11:54 PM   #15

Hi Moonless - is it doable? Yes. Our DD lived in Vegas area - we've made it there from NH in 4-1/2 days, with me being the only driver, too. I agree with the other comments made re: don't rely on CG's - on a trip like that when throwing down the miles we'll take a dinner break at the "usual" dinner time, then drive for several more hours after that, pulling into a truck stop (Flying J, etc) or WalMart about 11pm, sleep, up and on the road again by 0730. No need paying for amenities at a CG if we're not going to use them. If the travelling is good, you might get 600 miles in one of the days. That helps give you a buffer if you are on a tight schedule to arrive. The comment about DVT's is real - when I do similar trips I start the day with an aspirin tablet - helps prevent such clots from occurring - but you should check with your own MD... I also do leg exercises while driving (gotta love cruise control!) to keep the blood moving. At fuel stops, etc. I take the pup for a walk - benefits both of us!!! As already stated, no matter what the speedometer says as I'm driving, over the years I've learned at the end of the day my average speed is 50 mph. One "trick" we use, since you are coming out of MA and we come out of NH, is to try to knock off a few hours by leaving the evening beforehand. Depending on our route we can hit a Flying J around Albany, NY in 4 hours. A couple other things to consider - when headed west the different time zones work in your favor - you gain extra time almost every day. Coming home you pay for it... Also, weather, not just wind, can be a big factor. You're crossing "tornado alley" during the busy season... Make sure you have a weather radio on to alert you at all times, or at the very least a weather app on a smart phone (weather radio will work where you lack cell coverage...). Be prepared to alter your route very quickly... In unfamiliar territory I ID the county names (that's usually how storm warnings are issued, by county), particularly to the west of our location, so if I hear a tornado warning for "xyz" county come over the radio at 2am, I already know if that is where I am, or in the vicinity... Hope these comments help! ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2016, 12:03 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Given what everyone's said some thought. Consensus seems to be to take time to smell the roses. Here's a few more reasons why that might be preudent.
1. You've never driven an RV on a long trip before. You need to build in some time to your schedule to deal with the unexpected. Not to mention the stress of catching up to your schedule when you inevitably fall behind.
2. You're planning to average 500 miles a day. 300 would be more like it. Driving an RV is *not* like driving a car. That's why a lot of people swear by the 3/300 Rule: Stop at 3 p.m. or 300 miles, whichever comes first. Remember, you said you'll be staying at a campground every night, so you need to factor in time to set up each night, and pull out in the morning.
3. I'm sure you have a reason for doing this in five days, but ask yourself, "What's the hurry?" You're in an RV, man. The journey matters as much as the destination.

VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:14 AM   #17

From what I can tell it is just a little under 2700 miles by the most direct route. 500 miles a day for 5 days doesn't equate. I've driven a lot of 500 mile days in my 65 years of driving (4.5 million miles) and that was with a car. An RV is a little more to handle comfortably and will be very tiring. As already stated, 300-350 would be about all you could handle safely. Delta and American make that trip every day with a lot more rest.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:22 AM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
No matter how you slice it you're looking at a 2400 mile trip. Assuming 600 miles a day, that's 4 days. Driving 9 hrs a day.
That's an average of 67 mph. I figure on 50 mph by the time I add breaks and eating although I usually try to hold right at 60 or 62 mph too.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:30 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Everyone has a different tolerance level. I'm 59 and still routinely ride a motorcycle 1000 miles in 24 hours so 500 miles in a motor home is a piece of cake. I'd rather do 1000 on a motorcycle than the 500 in a motor home though.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:32 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That's an average of 67 mph. I figure on 50 mph by the time I add breaks and eating although I usually try to hold right at 60 or 62 mph too.
It only took us one trip to figure out that we average a lot fewer miles per hour in the motor home than the car. An average of 67 mph is tough to do unless you're driving about 75 mph down the interstate.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #21

Thanks everyone! After reading everyone's responses and recommendations we decided to add an extra day into our trip out and back... so it will take 6 days out, stay with the grandkids 7 days, then 6 days back with one day somewhere to play with. We also just bought a GPS Garmin 760 LMT so my wife can do all the navigation.

Few questions: We are planning on taking route 90 to 71 to 44 to 40 all the way using the good sam trip planner. Is that a good route?
Do they rest stops allow you to sleep overnight for a few hours if we get tired and canít reach a campground? We are self-contained but donít want to take advantage of something that would affect other RV folks.
Thanks again!
Moon
Old 03-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggenrock View Post
Hi Moonless - is it doable? Yes. Our DD lived in Vegas area - we've made it there from NH in 4-1/2 days, with me being the only driver, too. I agree with the other comments made re: don't rely on CG's - on a trip like that when throwing down the miles we'll take a dinner break at the "usual" dinner time, then drive for several more hours after that, pulling into a truck stop (Flying J, etc) or WalMart about 11pm, sleep, up and on the road again by 0730. No need paying for amenities at a CG if we're not going to use them. If the travelling is good, you might get 600 miles in one of the days. That helps give you a buffer if you are on a tight schedule to arrive. The comment about DVT's is real - when I do similar trips I start the day with an aspirin tablet - helps prevent such clots from occurring - but you should check with your own MD... I also do leg exercises while driving (gotta love cruise control!) to keep the blood moving. At fuel stops, etc. I take the pup for a walk - benefits both of us!!! As already stated, no matter what the speedometer says as I'm driving, over the years I've learned at the end of the day my average speed is 50 mph. One "trick" we use, since you are coming out of MA and we come out of NH, is to try to knock off a few hours by leaving the evening beforehand. Depending on our route we can hit a Flying J around Albany, NY in 4 hours. A couple other things to consider - when headed west the different time zones work in your favor - you gain extra time almost every day. Coming home you pay for it... Also, weather, not just wind, can be a big factor. You're crossing "tornado alley" during the busy season... Make sure you have a weather radio on to alert you at all times, or at the very least a weather app on a smart phone (weather radio will work where you lack cell coverage...). Be prepared to alter your route very quickly... In unfamiliar territory I ID the county names (that's usually how storm warnings are issued, by county), particularly to the west of our location, so if I hear a tornado warning for "xyz" county come over the radio at 2am, I already know if that is where I am, or in the vicinity... Hope these comments help! ST
That would pretty much be my thoughts too. I don't know about a MH, but we've made somewhere in the neighborhood of 30+ trips from Phoenix, OR to Parsons, WV and back with a TC. The trip is about 2800 miles one way.

We nearly always stayed overnight in rest areas or truck stops. IMHO, they are much faster to get in and out of than campgrounds although there are fewer conveniences and there may be a bit more risk. In the several hundred times we stayed in them we never had a problem. Many of them have dump/fill facilities, especially the welcome areas when going from one state to another.

Our average time when traveling between points was about 4.5 days. I was the only driver and we stopped when we got tired and drove when we were rested. I tried to maintain a speed as close to 70 as possible when it was legal, but as others have said the average was probably somewhere between 50-60.

I'm pretty low tech and through the years we've relied mostly on a Rand McNally Road Atlas to find our way. Most of them have interstate rest areas marked which provides a way to estimate how far it is to the next one.

I'm 77 now and our planned trip this Summer will be about 8k miles with an extended stay in WV with our "new to us" 26' Flair.

I'm thinking you will be glad you are allowing 6 days for the trip because there are many things you may want to stop and see along the way.

All the best.

Steve
Old 03-29-2016, 02:34 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonless View Post
Thanks everyone! After reading everyone's responses and recommendations we decided to add an extra day into our trip out and back... so it will take 6 days out, stay with the grandkids 7 days, then 6 days back with one day somewhere to play with. We also just bought a GPS Garmin 760 LMT so my wife can do all the navigation.

Few questions: We are planning on taking route 90 to 71 to 44 to 40 all the way using the good sam trip planner. Is that a good route?
Do they rest stops allow you to sleep overnight for a few hours if we get tired and canít reach a campground? We are self-contained but donít want to take advantage of something that would affect other RV folks.
Thanks again!
Moon
Looks like it's about the most direct. Parts of IH-40 are really beat up from Texas through NM and Arizona. You can stop for a few hours at rest areas along the way, but they get pretty full up at night.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:25 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cross Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonless View Post
...We are planning on taking route 90 to 71 to 44 to 40 all the way using the good sam trip planner. Is that a good route?

Do they rest stops allow you to sleep overnight for a few hours if we get tired and canít reach a campground? .........,,

I presume your planned route is actually "....71 to 70 to 44...", riding I-70 from Columbus to St Louis. That's a good direct route, but I'll point out one factor that may or may not matter to you. On this route you'll get on the Pike at 495 and you'll be paying tolls all the way til you get off at 71 in Cleveland. The NY State thruway is the largest chunk of that, and it is also a fairly pricy toll road. (Probably about $35-$40 for the whole length from the Mass line to Erie.). Having said that, it is also some of the best maintained highway in the country. There are alternates, toll free, almost as direct. Your choice.

You can overnight at rest stops, or truck stops, or Walmart parking lots, or Cracker Barrel restaurants. Many Lowe's and Home Depots are RV friendly. Lots of options for quick overnights, convenient to the highway. When we travel, we'll do a night or two of quick stops as above, followed by a night or two at a campground or RV park relaxing. But we have no time constraints, we have that option. If we were going Boston to Phoenix, we'd probably allow about 15-20 days each way.

Good Luck with your trip!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:11 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you've received all the information you need, with the cost of tolls and time allowed for the trip. Have a great trip out and back. Safe, trouble free travels.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:01 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
The NY State thruway is the largest chunk of that, and it is also a fairly pricy toll road. (Probably about $35-$40 for the whole length from the Mass line to Erie.). Having said that, it is also some of the best maintained highway in the country. There are alternates, toll free, almost as direct. Your choice.

Good Luck with your trip!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
I drive the NYS Thruway on a fairly regular basis traveling from Indiana to Schenectady, NY.

When I was looking into getting an EZPass I learned getting it through New York was my best bet.

NY will discount the toll for motor homes, charging the "car" rate versus the multiple axle rate. When applying for the pass, you must show proof of ownership for the motor home. Easy to do with the on-line form and supporting documents. I save a lot this way and you do not have to have a NY State address to acquire a NYS EZPass.

The pass also works in other state who have the EZPass system also but I a, not sure of any discount given for motor homes. I do know Indiana does not.......

You can apply for the pass on line (probably too late for this trip) but may also be able to get one at one of the "Rest Areas" on the Thruway itself.

Good trip - be safe.

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Everyone has a different tolerance level. I'm 59 and still routinely ride a motorcycle 1000 miles in 24 hours so 500 miles in a motor home is a piece of cake. I'd rather do 1000 on a motorcycle than the 500 in a motor home though.
^ x2...ride not driveI did 8500 miles last Sept...awesome trip to the left coast.

I had to read a bit, but now that I understand you are driving to a destination, staying, then driving home. We do this routinely from TN to Manitoba(1300 mi each way) in 2 days. I'm the "driver" so when I'm in that seat for 10-12 hours & know I'm going to do it again the next day, I don't want anything to do with a campground. Almost all Rest Stops allow parking/sleeping for 5-6 hours and there are a zillion of them on the slab.

Usually we will lollygag around and leave the house by 8Am, drive until 8Pm(or even later if I'm not tired). Whip into a rest area and sleep until 4-5ish, then back on the road to complete the trip the next day.

Park with the 18wheelers, run your genny if you want. I have never been told to leave a rest area, and if they did, I would just go down to the next one. You won't get much benefit from a campground since it will be close to darkthirty when you arrive, check-in, jockey into a site, hook up, eat sleep, unhook, then find your way back on the slab.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #28

We have made several x-country trips that involved 500+/- days. I am the only driver and have a few years on you, but my copilot is good at checking weather forecasts, Gas Buddy for fuel stops, and Google Maps satellite view for the location/topographery for campground, if we have zeroed in on one. Our general plan is to leave after breakfast stop after a couple of hours (rest or fuel). Then another couple of hrs until a lunch stop. Another mid afternoon break and then a dinner stop. Then an after dinner drive. The length depends on whether we have a campground reservation or are going to use a truck/rest stop or Walmart and the distant to go. We use Iphone aps to pick campgrounds and usually call after lunch to check availability. In campgrounds we just hook up water and elec, so the setup time is minimal even deploying the slide. I do not like to drive after dark, though I have driven until the AM when circumstances made it necessary. You should have daylight in your favor at this time of year and heading West adds more.The key is breaks and not getting stressed out driving, I just relax and listen to music with the copilot checking for events that might alter our plans. Hope you have a good trip.