Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post

Does anyone know the regulations for a Canadian entering the U.S,A, with liquor.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 12:23 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
Does anyone know the regulations for a Canadian entering the U.S,A, with liquor.
I believe it is similar to the Canadian laws.

From experience I find that the price of liquor in the US to be very good.

I have purchased a 1.75 of Captain Morgans at Costco in El Centro for under $20.00 US. The same bottle at home is listed for $63.00. Seems pointless to buy it in Canada to take it down.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:31 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
You know, I just get rid of what does not meet the law when I have gone into Canada. No big deal. That way I don't have to lie and be concerned with getting caught at a lie.
Taking the liquor to either Canada or the US only breaks the law if you lie about what you are carrying. Makes no difference if you are talking about liquor, cigarettes, guns, more than $10,000 or other regulated items.

Best bet is to answer the questions at the border with accurate answers. They will determine if you must pay a surcharge or not. Many times I have crossed and told them I have a 1.75 litre bottle. I have never had to pay duty on a 1.75 (touch wood).
Old 05-31-2014, 01:13 AM   #18

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
If you look at this, it says that items can be transferred through Canada. It specifically mentions booze. You have to have an inventory, a container to store it that can be custom sealed, and maybe make a refundable deposit. Bureaucratic but not unreasonable. At least it's an option to sitting at the boarder for a day or three drinking your wine collection down.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:22 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsekr View Post
If you look at this, it says that items can be transferred through Canada. It specifically mentions booze. You have to have an inventory, a container to store it that can be custom sealed, and maybe make a refundable deposit. Bureaucratic but not unreasonable. At least it's an option to sitting at the boarder for a day or three drinking your wine collection down.
Not sure why anyone would want to sit at the border drinking their wine down. You can bring a lot of wine/liquor/beer into Canada. You might have to pay a bit of duty on it but not enough to pour out your booze.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruc View Post
I read that crossing into Canada from the U.S. , I am allowed only 40 ounces of liquor. Would it be foolish to try crossing in our motorhome with more than that? I hate to have to leave behind over half of our liquor cabinet, but I certainly don't want to end up in jail over it either. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips.
YIKES we are heading to Newfoundland. I sure am glad I came here!!

Georgetown 328TS Class A 2010 Toyota Corolla
joannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #21

We've crossed into Canada numerous times on our way to Alaska, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and places in-between. I've always been honest and exacting on the amount of booze, beer and wine onboard and I'm always considerably over the limit for hard liquor. I mention the bottles which have been opened (most have) and have always been willing to pay whatever duty I owe. However, I've never been asked to pay a dime! The last time we crossed, the Canadian border agent commented that we were over our liquor limit but he wasn't going to fret about that, followed by: "have a nice visit to Canada".
Old 06-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #22

This is all so interesting. I always wonder what the rationale is for some laws. I understand fruit and they've been thrown away at the border but closed bottles of alcohol or someone said cans of dog food unopened?? (Another thread). It is like the ferry crossing over. Why the heck can't we stay in our MH if we sign a waiver or something that if the ferry goes down and we are with our dogs and die we won't sue!!

Georgetown 328TS Class A 2010 Toyota Corolla
joannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joannel View Post
This is all so interesting. I always wonder what the rationale is for some laws. I understand fruit and they've been thrown away at the border but closed bottles of alcohol or someone said cans of dog food unopened?? (Another thread). It is like the ferry crossing over. Why the heck can't we stay in our MH if we sign a waiver or something that if the ferry goes down and we are with our dogs and die we won't sue!!
The rationale is about money, specifically taxes. Each jurisdiction wants the tax dollars for items purchased. They will give you a bit of free stuff but resist uncontrolled importation of goods across borders. This includes interprovincial and interstate transfer of goods. Try buying a new car in one province or state and registering it in another. You will generally pay applicable local and provincial taxes.

It is not illegal to bring alcohol into Canada in any amount if you follow the rules. You get the first 1.14 litres of alcohol free, pay tax on everything up to 44 litres and over 44 litres must get a liquor importation permit. I am not sure how the liquor importation permit works but (likely have to state purpose and pay accordingly) I have brought in goods and been able to get a permit on site. I have brought in significant amounts of liquor (under 44 litres) and been assessed the tax, duty and GST. It was a walk in, stand in line for a few minutes, talk to the agent, pay the cashier and walk out, all within about 20 minutes.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #24

Been across scores of times, both ways. Always over on liquor, some times 6 ltr and a case of wine. Always gave a very exact accounting (off of a list) and have never paid a dime in tax. Question sometimes is about personal use. Came close on the eastern end of the border once but when we started detailing each bottle they decided it was too much trouble. Often am not even asked! I do always declare it if there is a general question about what I am bringing.

Funny thing is, it is usually the same hard liquor. We really don't drink much of that.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwfencer View Post
Been across scores of times, both ways. Always over on liquor, some times 6 ltr and a case of wine. Always gave a very exact accounting (off of a list) and have never paid a dime in tax. Question sometimes is about personal use. Came close on the eastern end of the border once but when we started detailing each bottle they decided it was too much trouble. Often am not even asked! I do always declare it if there is a general question about what I am bringing.

Funny thing is, it is usually the same hard liquor. We really don't drink much of that.
Call if you would like some help with stock reduction!!

I have very rarely ran into an agent who did not treat me with respect when I treated them with respect. I am sure while they have some discretion they are given guidelines of topics to focus on.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #26

While there is an amount listed on paper, everything is a judgement call on the part of the agent. We cross border shop every couple of weeks on a day trip where we are not allowed to bring anything back same day, per the regulation, and we are rarely charged anything. Just be honest with what you have and estimate the amount as well as you can and, as long as it's not an obscenely excessive amount, I doubt you'll have any issue whatsoever.

Tags
ada