Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #1

Crossing into Canada with liquor

I read that crossing into Canada from the U.S. , I am allowed only 40 ounces of liquor. Would it be foolish to try crossing in our motorhome with more than that? I hate to have to leave behind over half of our liquor cabinet, but I certainly don't want to end up in jail over it either. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
The vehicle you use to carry liquor across the international boundary doesn't obviate the law. You're still subject to the restriction. Please send the overage to me and I'll take care of it for you...

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruc View Post
I read that crossing into Canada from the U.S. , I am allowed only 40 ounces of liquor. Would it be foolish to try crossing in our motorhome with more than that? I hate to have to leave behind over half of our liquor cabinet, but I certainly don't want to end up in jail over it either. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips.
You are allowed 1.14 litres - 40 oz - of hard liquor (each). More if it is beer (24 355ml cans). After that you may be asked to pay duty and taxes on the overage.

You will only end up in jail if you fail to disclose the true amount of goods you are bringing in. Probably not in jail but a fine or penalty of some sort all the way up to confiscation of your vehicle. Much the same as going into the US. Neither side of the border patrol likes to be lied to.

I have found that you can bring more across if you tell them. There is a point where it is not profitable to them to fill out the paperwork to charge you the tax and duty.

The agents I have spoken to have been reasonable. I will tell them exactly what I have. I make a point of having all of the bottles open and at least one or two drinks out of them. I will tell them I have 4 (or 5) partial bottles that I have been using. I have never been asked to pay for them.

You are allowed to bring up to 44 litres of alcohol across without an import permit. You have to pay tax on anything more than 1.14 litres. Alberta charges the least amount of tax. The federal tax is standard across the entire country but the provincial taxes vary a lot.

Buying liquor in Canada is expensive so bring enough for your stay, declare it and pay the taxes if they ask you. No worries about jail!
Old 05-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Just be aware that you're going to have to deal with the overage when you return to the US. US CBP is stricter than Canadian, IME.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I've always used that "I've got 3-4 partial bottles, but not sure exactly how much..probably about 40 oz or so" It's worked ALMOST every time. A few years ago the nice lady invited herself on board and actually counted, estimating the amounts. Had to pay duty on the excess, got thoroughly searched and even lost the tomatoes and potatoes out of the fridge.
Borders are a pain and some of their rules make NO sense.

I get drilled for having an extra bottle of booze, but they don't care if I take 50 gallons of nitro methane over the border. go figure.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I assume the 40 oz rule is 'per person'? So DW and I can take 80? You mention hard liquor and beer. What about wine?
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Limits here:

bsf5082: Visitors to Canada and other Temporary Residents
Old 05-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #8

You know, I just get rid of what does not meet the law when I have gone into Canada. No big deal. That way I don't have to lie and be concerned with getting caught at a lie.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:29 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
You know, I just get rid of what does not meet the law when I have gone into Canada. No big deal. That way I don't have to lie and be concerned with getting caught at a lie.

I do the same and get to visit other Countries. All Countries have their rules and I'm willing to follow them just as visitors to our Country must do. I feel its a cheap price to pay for the privilege of travel. YMMV

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You do not say if you are a Canadian returning to Canada or
an American coming into Canada.

There is a difference.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #11

I just went through the drill trying to decide if I wanted to pay the duty on US prices or buy in Canada as we usually due. Here's what I found.

Wine over the allowed amount the duty is about 54% of the cost figured in Canadian dollars.

Jack Daniels is a another story. A 1.75L bottle that I pay $35.00 for carries a duty of $40 So I guess I'll continue to buy it in Canada. While it is expensive, $66.95 in Thunder Bay, without the hassle of declaring excess and going in to pay the duty.

Do a search for the Canadian Duty Calculator and see what works for you. It is very interesting.
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
We cross the border regularly and haven't had an issue. I think the border guards rule of thumb if its reasonable, let it go. I wouldn't show up in a vw beetle and try to explain why your transporting 4 partially empty bottles of liquor. RVs are a bit different and likely to get wave a on a little bit extra amount of hard liquor.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #13

As someone with some experience with this (from the other side of the Canadian window), luckyd is incorrect, the same volumes are applied whether you are a resident or non resident of Canada (as long as a resident of Canada is out of country for more than 48 hours).

Typically, if you have a reasonable amount of bar stock - 1 bottle only of your preferred liquors, with more than just a shot or 2 out of it, most officers are reasonable. Most understand that this is your home on wheels. If you have a good sized stock of liquor, I would hesitate to also have full bottles of your total allowance of wine in your inventory. That's pushing it. Perhaps a half case of beer may be tolerated in addition - even if you are required to pay on that, it's not as much $ as hard liquor.

Whatever you do, DON'T hide any bottles in your hidey holes that (you think) only you know about. If it is found, they won't stop digging till they are sure they have found everything else you're hiding. Alcohol or otherwise.

Bertman is correct, the volumes are per person.
Wine is 1.5 L per person.

Please remember: don't drink and drive!
FYI on that note, if you have been convicted of DWI or any other alcohol related driving offense within the last 10 years or have more than 1 over the course of you life, you are legally considered inadmissable to Canada. It's considered an indictable offense in Canada ('felony' in US terminology). Hope this helps yet doesn't put you off visiting Canada.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #14

Last time we visited Canada we were participants in a caravan. Those were carrying over the limit asked those who were not to carry their excess. Everyone was happy, no-one violated CA law.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada