Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Does anybody have any advice on crossing the Border and what you can take in the way of foods and how was the crossing with the rv????
The web has contradictory info.
Rsteabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Does anybody have any advice on crossing the Border and what you can take in the way of foods and how was the crossing with the rv????
The web has contradictory info.
Rsteabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think it has a lot to do with luck and circumstances. We crossed at Sweetgrass, MT (Coutts, AB) July 5th. They asked a few questions and waived us thru. We spent a total of 15 minutes in line and answering questions. We showed our passportsand they asked about money, firearms, alcohol, fire works and if we had anything we planned to sell or leave in Canada. They also asked to see our paperwork concerning our grandson. No questions about food items at all.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #4

We crossed into Canada at Niagara Falls. They definitely do not want any potatos coming in. There is also a limit on amount of meat, and alcoholic beverages as well as tobacco. I found all info by Googling Canadian border crossing, or something like that. We had no problem; however, when going in, the Canadian Border Guard was very business-like. I tried to make small talk and he actually scared me with his nasty looks, thought he was going to give me a tough time, but it ended ok as he waived me through. Expect delays at most crosssings. Also, be very mindful of the lane signs for RVs and of the solid white or yellow line at the border crossing. STOP on that line and do not cross it. I unknowingly crept up about six inches and the guy went ape-sh**. Guess that's why he was so grumpy with me. Have fun and safe travels.

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35'
Art E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Went into Canada from NY at RTE 81 and Thousand Islands and man did they give everyone a hard time with USA plates. We were in our toad not our Motor Home.
We were asked the same Questions 2-3 times, Where do you live, how long are you staying for, what is your plate number, why does the girl in the back seat have different name than yours [Hello for the third time she is our grand kid] yes, we all had passports. Finely I asked her what did she not understand, I keep giving you the same answers. My DW said to herself we are going to the holding area, but after saying that she let us go.
One couple that looked to be in their late 70's was sent over to the inspection area[had NY plates] they were in the same line as we were.
Coming back in to the USA about 6 hours later we spent all of 60 seconds in line and with the Custom Official.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:16 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rsteabag:
The web has contradictory info. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We crossed over on I-87 in NY. We have TX plates and did not have any problems crossing, although I did have to get out and get our toad's registration papers, which were in the toad, to show the agent. DH told her we had no pototoes and were under the limits for meat, alcohol, etc.

Sue
Old 08-12-2008, 04:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We got this suggestion from a Canadian friend when we were visiting her. We were going through the border from Canada into northeren Washington state. She said; go through the "truck route" and go through there around 6:00 in the A.M. The guard shift is new and they aren't tired and cranky yet. (Seriously) They also have had their first cup of coffee.
Well, we did just that with our passports and insurance stuff and any paperwork we thought we may need. (We were prepared). The guard asked a few questions about firearms, food, and alochol, glanced at our passports and we were outa' there! Maybe our Alaskan license plates helped too, I don't know.

Happy travels,
AKBrick
Old 08-12-2008, 05:13 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Yo teabag,

We just went acroos at the International Peace Gardens in Dunseith,ND and the officier asked the normal questions, checked passports, and asked us to pull ahead and stop, as they wanted to look inside. We opened the door and an officier went into the rig with slides closed and looked up and back the middle and said "we just wanted to make sure you didn't have any extra passengers". Good thing they didn't open the basement and see my "still"! I can just see them going thru your "tea collection"!

For those that don't know Dick that well, he does tea like I do wine! Not sure he wasn't one of the originals at the Boston tea party!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:15 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
And how many cases of OakLeave did you have in the basement?
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:19 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Wow, if Rockin made it through we need some new border guards.

There was one terrorist that made it

Jim
Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
I'll never tell....what do you think I am?? a trouble maker?
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-12-2008, 05:39 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Again,

rockin' is not a troublemaker....well maybe...only on this forum. On the street I'm just a good ol' kittycat...meooooowwww!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Last year we crossed back into Montana (forget the name) they asked first for our passports, this was on the American side. They took them inside and entered them into a computer then brought them back a few minutes later. Then asked if they could come inside the coach and went directly to the refrigerator. Took all the meats out of the freezer and checked for USDA stickers. Also checked all fruits for the same, confiscating anything that didn't have USDA sticker. So, be sure not to return with uncooked or processed foods or to repackage bulk items into smaller packages that don't carry the label or you may have to leave them behind.
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #14

Crossed the Canadian border 6 times this summer. All they wanted was passports, dog papers, and the standard questions answered. Did not matter which way we were going. Last year going into Canada was the same, coming back was check for extra people. Made me think about where to put them if I wanted too.

2007 Excel RT 30RKE
hotair is offline   Reply With Quote