Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #1

CRUNCH!

Out for a campground walk when we heard a loud CRUNCH, then door slamming. "let's walk that way and see what's going on". Next we heard the door opening up and a male voice saying "No, I can do this myself, you just sit there".

We quickened our pace so we could see what would come next. A engine sounded loudly, reving up and then tires throwing gravel. We came into view in time to see the large pickup, and a even larger 5th wheel trying to back into a campsite. Not a whole lot of maneuvering room, and plenty of trees all around. The 6x6 wooden post with the campsite number was laying all cattywampus leaning on a 45 degree angle.

Back he came again but at a speed I wouldn't even go frontwards! Crack! as a tree damaged a awning arm. "!!zzrree@#$%0)(*&^%)" came a loud voice and an even louder "I told you to just sit there, I told you I can do this without your help". Inside the pickup was a woman and two 10+- year old boys. I decided that offering my 69 year old help sure wasn't going to go over well, and we decided hanging around and gawking probably wasn't going to help this situation either, but I sure felt sorry for the woman and kids. Gee, at 10 years old my brothers and I were adept at helping Dad back his boat down the launching ramp using only hand signals, no yelling. At least he seemed to like our help.

Besides a loud revving of the engine, we didn't hear any more crunches. Another walk around the campground and we saw he had successfully backed the 5th wheel in. Woman and kids nowhere to be seen, but the guy was busy hooking up the utilities.
I turned to Sharon and said "I so glad I have your eyes and ears helping me get into these spots, your the greatest." I got a smile and kiss for that.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Out for a campground walk when we heard a loud CRUNCH, then door slamming. "let's walk that way and see what's going on". Next we heard the door opening up and a male voice saying "No, I can do this myself, you just sit there".

We quickened our pace so we could see what would come next. A engine sounded loudly, reving up and then tires throwing gravel. We came into view in time to see the large pickup, and a even larger 5th wheel trying to back into a campsite. Not a whole lot of maneuvering room, and plenty of trees all around. The 6x6 wooden post with the campsite number was laying all cattywampus leaning on a 45 degree angle.

Back he came again but at a speed I wouldn't even go frontwards! Crack! as a tree damaged a awning arm. "!!zzrree@#$%0)(*&^%)" came a loud voice and an even louder "I told you to just sit there, I told you I can do this without your help". Inside the pickup was a woman and two 10+- year old boys. I decided that offering my 69 year old help sure wasn't going to go over well, and we decided hanging around and gawking probably wasn't going to help this situation either, but I sure felt sorry for the woman and kids. Gee, at 10 years old my brothers and I were adept at helping Dad back his boat down the launching ramp using only hand signals, no yelling. At least he seemed to like our help.

Besides a loud revving of the engine, we didn't hear any more crunches. Another walk around the campground and we saw he had successfully backed the 5th wheel in. Woman and kids nowhere to be seen, but the guy was busy hooking up the utilities.
I turned to Sharon and said "I so glad I have your eyes and ears helping me get into these spots, your the greatest." I got a smile and kiss for that.
Hey Big D,
Your story reminded me of a situation back a couple of years ago. We pulled up next to our intended campsite at a nice private campground in Mammoth CA. It had pine trees etc. too, somewhat near both sides of the campsite. The wife and I hopped out (at my age, "hopping" doesn't happen all that often) and as usual, had our truck disconnected from the coach in about one minute or so. She drove the truck to another campsite for temp storage while I backed into ours.

There were folks watching us from two adjacent campsites. As I always do, I took a quick walk around the campsite, looking up, down and all around to see what may "bite" me as I back in, if I'm not careful. Yes, there was close proximity trees, limbs etc. So, I kept all that in my single celled storage bank I call a brain and, proceeded to prep and back up. By then the CEO was behind me watching. The whole procedure for prep (driving forward and pre-aiming for backing) and finally stopped in the correct position, took me about 30-40 seconds or so. It wasn't all that hard.

I hit the auto level and jumped out of the coach to go hook things up while the coach was taking care of leveling itself. I got all the hookups done in about one minute and, was walking back to the front of the coach when one of the bystanders from a near by site meandered up to me and commented, "Wow, you did that like you'd done it before". I said, "yeah, a few times. (probably around a few HUNDRED times if I was counting).

Anyway, as we sat down for some r & r time, the same neighbor invited us over for some b.s. and chips and dip. Sure we said. So, as we sat down, the neighbor told us of the previous campers in our spot. He said they were about 75+ years old, just two of them. They had a BRAND NEW TRUCK with a BRAND NEW TRAILER. My neighbor described this couples backing in HORRIFYING detail.

It seems, the old couple too WERE BRAND NEW AT THIS RVING STUFF. Anyway, long story short, before they left the campsite, they had damaged two sides of the BRAND NEW TRUCK and, had damaged the rear and two sides of the BRAND NEW TRAILER!!!!!!!!!!!! My neighbor and his wife, asked them as they somewhat finished destruction derby backing in, "Wow, would you have liked some help"? The old fella replied, "Naw, it's no big deal, we've got plenty of places lined up to go and camp, might as well get the "dings" early on, when we get back home, we'll just have all of it fixed".

Wow, what a story. I hope I NEVER GET THAT WAY.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #3

Kinda sounds like that camper was here in southern Oregon too,! This was a 8x8 post that someone had backed into (not me) took some talent for sure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8E78EAC0-A8F3-4A73-9BD5-230EF714BB14.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	745.5 KB
ID:	221763  
Clomok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #4

Having been in scouting for over 25 years, I love kids. They are sponges soaking up knowledge.....both good and bad. I feel so bad when I see children exposed to the bad behaviour at such an early age. Unless something reverses their learned experiences, they will behave the same way in adulthood.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #5

Two years ago, we watched a pretty new DP pull into a pull-through site across from us. Just past the big rock on the right was a picnic table next to a short rock wall. DW did not get out of their coach, he just pulled in, catching the picnic table seat on the front right basement door. He paused for a moment and pulled forward, pinwheeling the picnic table, pushed against the rock wall, all the way down the whole right side of the coach, damaging each basement door. He stepped out to look at it, walked back in, and they did not come out again all night.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:26 PM   #6

Sitting outside one afternoon a large MH pulled up and was going to backin to the site next to us.

The sites were very difficult to backin to.......trees both sides, narrow road, 90* entrances and a boulder lined ditch directly across from sites

I am an old hand at backing trailers. We had been FT for 5 yrs at this point. We work really well together but these sites were a challenge.
Fortunately a 'neighbor' offered an extra set of eyes and I gladly accepted.

So when the lady got out and was positioning herself to guide the driver I mentioned the difficulty and offered to help.
She responded in a timid voice...."Thank-you but she doesn't like anyone to guide her"
Which was then followed up by a LOUD irritated voice from drivers window....."I was a School Bus driver for 20+ years and WE do NOT need your help"

OK ---point made---thank-you very much.
So we sat back and watched the show.
First she cut to short and whack the right rear corner into a tree.........*$&#&# from window. Then when she pulled forward....WHACK right into the large boulder at opposite side of road----MORE #&$^#*# from window.
At this point the lady that was out guiding was pacing back/forth and shaking her head....scared. (Felt sorry for her)

Then driver gunned it backwards ...almost hitting the lady outside and did WHACK the tree again.
Finally got the MH backed in...lady disappeared inside and we didn't see either one for next 2 days. Morning of 3 day we got up....they were gone
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:53 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Somewhat different, on a boat ramp a young couple were trying to recover what appeared to be a new 22ft fiberglass boat. His female companion was backing the truck down the ramp while he was going to drive the boat onto the trailer. After many attempts in calm water and plenty of "yelling". She was trying to position the trailer at various depths when he got the boat "onto the trailer" and yelled for her to drive forward. She did exactly that and kept going. Problem is that he failed to hook the bow cable and found his boat sitting high and dry on the ramp with the truck leaving the ramp area. Oh yea, there was still some more "yelling" on the ramp. I turned back out to the water and left.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:20 AM   #8

Perspective. Many of us who grew up "on the family farm" had the opportunity to develop quite a number of practical talents (which we took for granted). Towing trailers and backing up trailers, plus operating different types of equipment, became second nature.
Today, I wonder where others learn to backup a trailer?
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:20 AM   #9

While it is bad to show kids the bad behavior, IMHO, it is much better for the driver to drive, backwards and forward. Over decades I have spent a lot of money fixing damage from drivers backing into things. And every time it was the Onback's fault. If the guy was so batsnot about not needing help, who's fault would any damage be?
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #10

Before I retired as a Facilities Manager for a school district, I was down at the warehouse when a “double” semi came in. I watch thinking this was going to be fun. The driver made a couple of small maneuvers and placed the back trailer perfectly square to the dock and centered on the dock leveler. Took less than 30 seconds. Now that’s talent
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #11

Observation: Drivers with little experience seem to be lazy, or incapacitated. Me? I walk the area, I look around, and I place orange cones here and there. Then I slowly back up, and after a few feet, I get out and look. Then, I back up a little more. If I can't see the cones, or feel like I lost my place, I stop and get out and LOOK some more. Little by little, I make it all the way, with out hitting anything. If someone wants to help, it's a problem. I don't like to hurt anyone's feelings, but I trust MY way. I've got a theory: if I slow down, I'll live longer.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
Observation: Drivers with little experience seem to be lazy, or incapacitated. Me? I walk the area, I look around, and I place orange cones here and there. Then I slowly back up, and after a few feet, I get out and look. Then, I back up a little more. If I can't see the cones, or feel like I lost my place, I stop and get out and LOOK some more. Little by little, I make it all the way, with out hitting anything. If someone wants to help, it's a problem. I don't like to hurt anyone's feelings, but I trust MY way. I've got a theory: if I slow down, I'll live longer.
I like the orange cone idea.

Roger
Old 10-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
Before I retired as a Facilities Manager for a school district, I was down at the warehouse when a “double” semi came in. I watch thinking this was going to be fun. The driver made a couple of small maneuvers and placed the back trailer perfectly square to the dock and centered on the dock leveler. Took less than 30 seconds. Now that’s talent
I work in the event and entertainment industry (think arenas and stadiums, huge ball rooms, etc) and there are 4 main companies that transport equipment. Upstaging, SET-Special Event Transport, Clark Transfer (mostly theatre) and Stage Call. Some other trucking companies have started entertainment divisions but don't have the track record of service the other already have.

At least one of them requires a driving 'audition' for applicants that involves a walkie talkie and a blindfold. The yard man 'talks' the driver in. If the applicant is unable to back up to a loading dock, centered, he is not hired. No peeking, this requires trusting the yard man.

Some of the best and nicest (and cleanest) OTR drivers are pulling entertainment goods.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A couple of years ago a family of three came in with a four runner and a small popup. By the time the were done, the wife had walked off, the father was trying to figure out haw he got jack-knifed between a tree and the picnic table and the fourish son was sitting in the driver seat honking the horn. I would have offered help but the anger level was far too high for anyone to go near the potential police incident.