RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #85

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
That's good for a rattle can!
With those results, don't do the bed liner thing. Do the same as what you did on the back cap.

Key tools to make this go much easier: an orbital DA sander and a decent sized compressor...even if you have to rent a compressor for a day. The majority of the work is sanding the old finish to prep. The DA makes it go easy.

And...rent or buy a decent $150 spray gun and use real auto paint with the rented compressor (and regulator). Then you will bring it all back to original.

You'll pay for all the tools just doing the job you show pics of compared to paying a body shop for their efforts.

I could buy a Harbor Freight gun. My compressor wonít handle the demand but I could probably borrow one. The mixing of the automotive paint and all the additives seem a little tricky. I have a professional auto painter neighbor but heís put me off 2yrs in a row now. He had the paint scanned and I have the code, but after hearing him explain it all I donít know if I want to tackle it.

2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #86

Sounds like a lot of work but done the right way. I bet your results look really good.
AdmiralRVr

AdmiralRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #87

Mixing the paint and additives is not difficult Just follow directions for the type of paint you are using you can purchase mixing cups at any automotive paint store. do not use the Home depot mixing cups they are not rated for solvents you may have to use.

base coat paint these days can be purchased with a water base no solvents required.
as far as a compressor, you would not require large amounts of air to paint small areas you will be painting at around 32PSI to 40 PSI. I used my pancake compressor for painting.

my paint was left over from a previous repair and was solvent based and was also metallic I need to practice on spraying metallic to avoid the spots you may see in one of my photos

for small repairs you could get away with an inexpensive gun for the base coat. the primer and 2K clear coat in a rattle can
I will try to add pic of my results one more time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190219_103931_HDR.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	236157   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190219_103940_HDR.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	236158  

Name:	20190224_090515_HDR.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	236159   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190224_090503_HDR.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	236160  

doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #88

I also used an electric orbital DA/sander/buffer for feathering of the peeled paint areas. and used the same tool with buffing pads to polish after sanding the blended areas with 1500 wet paper
if you are going to use a compressor to paint do not forget to purchase a moisture oil separator for attachment to your spray gun

Lot of good videos on You Tube about automotive painting and prepping
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:50 PM   #89

Country Coach Owners Club
I have a bit of history founded on zero knowledge of 2 part automotive spray.

My rig had Clear Coat sprayed over Gel Coat (no base coat) that survived for about 14 years.

It also had Clear Coat sprayed over Base Coat, that lasted longer but is peeling now (24 years).

The Clear Coat over Gel Coat was easy to strip. A razor blade scraper would take it off in sheets 2 feet x 1 foot long.

After prepping the Gel Coat with cleaner, I sprayed many cans of the Y2K rattle can 2 part Clear Coat.

It looked beautiful with three coats of Clear Coat. But the CC failed after about three years.

I also sanded my front Bumper and over the windshield base coat areas. So when I painted with Base Coat and then Y2K Clear Coat rattle cans it looked great.

4 Years later, my front bumper looks fine but the over the windshield area clear coat is peeling again.

I also had my roof brow stripped, base coat, and clear coated by a truck painting shop in 2003. It still looks great!

I also had my rear bumper stripped, base coat, and clear coated by a truck painting shop in 2007. The bumper needs to be repainted now.

Conclusion:

1. Apply Clear Coat over Base Coat, no exceptions.
2. Hire a good painter with automotive experience if you want it to last 10 years.
3. Have them use quality paints (I did $100/qt but am not a pro painter).

Or

4. Buy a full painted coach in a single color!
5 Or.....repaint in a single color.

A professional paint job that will last 10 years costs more than my rig is worth.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #90

Workhorse Chassis Owner
To "Spot treat" vs Full field sand and recoat?

I have similar spots of CC failure and a RV bodyshop wants $6.5 K for some 44 hrs work on a small-to-me square foot repair! The quoted work calls for complete strip of clearcoated panels. Unbelievable that you have to corner-to-corner sand the clearcoat even tho it appears solid except for the peeling spots. Coach is 2005 and probably will fetch $40k at best at sale time.

While some are well-meaning to advocate "get-professional work"; I still can't get past the exorbintate area of clearcoat removal involved. My guess the reason being: Body shop wants to hedge their work so that I don't have future heartburn of their completed work (because I chose not to go thecorner-to-corner route).

My question is this: if one does a as-needed clearcoat repair, knowing future spots could pop up and need repair....come out better (and have satisfactory results) ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	253010   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	253011  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	253012   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	253013  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	253014  
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:07 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Morgan View Post
I have similar spots of CC failure and a RV bodyshop wants $6.5 K for some 44 hrs work on a small-to-me square foot repair! The quoted work calls for complete strip of clearcoated panels. Unbelievable that you have to corner-to-corner sand the clearcoat even tho it appears solid except for the peeling spots. Coach is 2005 and probably will fetch $40k at best at sale time.

While some are well-meaning to advocate "get-professional work"; I still can't get past the exorbintate area of clearcoat removal involved. My guess the reason being: Body shop wants to hedge their work so that I don't have future heartburn of their completed work (because I chose not to go thecorner-to-corner route).

My question is this: if one does a as-needed clearcoat repair, knowing future spots could pop up and need repair....come out better (and have satisfactory results) ?
Not quite sure what your question is....are you asking if you do a spot repair will it come out ok? That all depends on who is doing the work.
It's easier to do all at once than area by area as there are stages to the work and it's easier to get all areas to stage 1 (clean) and then stage 2 (sand) and then stage 3 (finish sand) and then stage 4 (clean) and then mask and then prime or paint and then clear all.

Are you going to do the work yourself? It will take a DIY'r the first time multiple times as long as the body shop. They have the tools and experience to be efficient (or they go out of business).

It's a good DIY job for the interested. Just lots of work.