Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Cure for peeling clear-coat... Maybe!

The clear coat on the top of my rear cap is peeling bad! I came up with the idea of using 1500 grain sandpaper to "feather" the edges, hoping this will stop the peeling. It won't show up there. Has anyone ever tried this or think it will work?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #2

Sanding the edges generally won't stop the peeling. The clear coat is not bonded properly with the base coat. The only real cure is to remove all the clear coat and prep the base properly then reapply the clear.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Sanding the edges generally won't stop the peeling. The clear coat is not bonded properly with the base coat. The only real cure is to remove all the clear coat and prep the base properly then reapply the clear.
Exactly! Can't stop, what wasn't applied correctly in the first place. We're having the same problem.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What is the recommended procedure for doing it correctly?
Old 03-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't think it's because it was applied wrong, but more due to the fact that the curved portion of the top/side gets most of the UV rays from the sun. As a test, I took an IR temp sensor and measured the temperatures on the roof, side, and the curved portion. Guess which one was 20 degrees hotter?

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Trust me, Joe, no matter what you do other than total new clear-coating, it's a waste of time.

Here are some photos of the worst areas of my coach where the CC was peeling really bad. The area where the roof curves down to the sides is another bad area.

I solved the roof area by covering the entire roof with an Ultra-Tuff Coating over one year ago. The other areas will be repainted and clear-coated some year when I decide to have the entire coach repainted and the front will have a special coating applied that is color matched to the paint scheme I have now.

There is a company in Texas that applies this special coating to the front cap that looks similar to bed liner but it is much more durable.

I have attached photos of a friend that had it doene to his Windsor just before selling it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra-TUFF Coat-03.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	89525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra-TUFF Coat-04.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	89526  

Name:	Ultra-TUFF Coat-05.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	89527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra-TUFF Coat-06.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	89528  

Name:	Ultra-TUFF Coat-07.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	89529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra-TUFF Coat-08.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	89530  

Name:	P3150314.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	89531   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3150316.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	89532  

Name:	P3150323.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	89533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Painted Coach Bra.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	89534  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Trust me, Joe, no matter what you do other than total new clear-coating, it's a waste of time.

Here are some photos of the worst areas of my coach where the CC was peeling really bad. The area where the roof curves down to the sides is another bad area.

I solved the roof area by coating with an Ultra-Tuff Coating over one year ago. The other areas will be repainted and clear-coated some year when I decide to have the entire coach repainted and the front will have a special coating applied that is color matched to the paint scheme I have now.

There is a company in Texas that applies this special coating to the front cap that looks similar to bed liner but it is much more durable.

I have attached photos of a friend that had it doene to his Windsor just before selling it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Yep, that's exactly how mine looks!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I know this may sound silly, but has anyone ever tried the sanding thing I mentioned, THEN just spraying the area with clear acrylic spray cans that you can buy at most any auto parts store? It wouldn't make much difference how it looks because it's on top where people don't see it.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
If you use a clear coat make sure it has the right UV protection. Most auto paint stores can mix the right paint and put it in a spray can. Cost a little more but worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-25-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
If you use a clear coat make sure it has the right UV protection. Most auto paint stores can mix the right paint and put it in a spray can. Cost a little more but worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

John, thanks for the tip! I went to the paint department at O'Reillys Auto Parts and talked to the manager. After hearing my problem, he made the following recommendations:

He agreed with "feathering" the edges with the 1500 grit sandpaper

Clean the area with the Prep-Spray
Dupli-Color PS100 - Grease And Wax Remover | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Use the Dupli-Color Protective Clear Coat Finish with UV protection
Dupli-Color Perfect Match BCL0125 - Touch Up Paint | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Well, I'm gonna give it a shot! I guess only time will tell if this works or if it's another one of my hair-brained ideas. Wish me luck!
Old 03-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I think you are on the right track.

Yes, peeling clearcoat CAN be from improperly bonding to the basecoat, however, on a 8, 10 or older year old coach I would say the clearcoat bonded fine upon initial application but over time the UV has broken it down until it has failed.

Sanding and feathering the edge will be the first step but be cautious to not sand through the basecoat or you will be re-applying that. The basecoat is quite thin and easily sanded through.

I had a few spots on my Dynasty that I touched up last year but I ended up taking it down as far as necessary, applying new sealer, basecoat and then several coats of clearcoat. The area over the windshield (eyebrow) being the worse of the areas. Turned out great at least enough to last a year or two until I have the entire coach repainted.

I also had two very small areas near the rear that the clearcoat was just barely peeling where I very lightly sanded it to feather the edge and then applied clearcoat with a small detail gun and blended/melted the edges of with straight reducer to melt the edges of the fresh clearcoat in. After allowing ample dry time I again very lightly buffed the area to eliminate any haze or blending area from the fresh clearcoat. What a PITA but it looks ok until a complete paint job can be had.

I have a link to my process in my signature if you want to see some more detailed pictures, which will probably show better than my description.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
I think you are on the right track.

Yes, peeling clearcoat CAN be from improperly bonding to the basecoat, however, on a 8, 10 or older year old coach I would say the clearcoat bonded fine upon initial application but over time the UV has broken it down until it has failed.

Sanding and feathering the edge will be the first step but be cautious to not sand through the basecoat or you will be re-applying that. The basecoat is quite thin and easily sanded through.

I had a few spots on my Dynasty that I touched up last year but I ended up taking it down as far as necessary, applying new sealer, basecoat and then several coats of clearcoat. The area over the windshield (eyebrow) being the worse of the areas. Turned out great at least enough to last a year or two until I have the entire coach repainted.

I also had two very small areas near the rear that the clearcoat was just barely peeling where I very lightly sanded it to feather the edge and then applied clearcoat with a small detail gun and blended/melted the edges of with straight reducer to melt the edges of the fresh clearcoat in. After allowing ample dry time I again very lightly buffed the area to eliminate any haze or blending area from the fresh clearcoat. What a PITA but it looks ok until a complete paint job can be had.

I have a link to my process in my signature if you want to see some more detailed pictures, which will probably show better than my description.

Mike.

Mike, I already looked at your pics and writeup about the painting and other work. It looks great! You are obviously a very talented guy! I'm a pretty good handy-man but paint work is definitely not part of my limited knowledge!

Luckily, this work will be on top where it will not show, so if I can stop the peeling I won't worry about how good or bad it looks! Thanks for your comments!
Old 03-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Mike, I already looked at your pics and writeup about the painting and other work. It looks great! You are obviously a very talented guy! I'm a pretty good handy-man but paint work is definitely not part of my limited knowledge!

Luckily, this work will be on top where it will not show, so if I can stop the peeling I won't worry about how good or bad it looks! Thanks for your comments!
think of it this way... it lasted 14 yrs

what I would do is just have it re painted...you could have it color matched with a single stage paint ...

also arosol clear won't last the time it takes to sprat it...

I would leave it alone till I could afford to repair propper
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
think of it this way... it lasted 14 yrs

what I would do is just have it re painted...you could have it color matched with a single stage paint ...

also arosol clear won't last the time it takes to sprat it...

I would leave it alone till I could afford to repair propper

Well, the paint on the rest of the coach is in excellent condition. The top of the caps on each end is the only problem. I'm gonna try this, if it works fine, if it doesn't work, that's OK too. At least I tried, and if it works there are other folks out there that can benefit from my trial!