Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #15

KZ RV Club
2006 Country Coach purchased with only 16K miles:

Discovered during "routine" window replacement:
  • Front driver's slide rebuilt due to extreme water leak
  • Dry rot around toll window, wall board replaced
  • Dry rot/rust all around entry door and steps, all replaced and cleaned
  • Carpet entirely replaced due to black mold
  • All slide rubber and seals replaced
  • 6 tires replaced . . . lot rot
  • Windshield wiper arm assemblies replaced due to (yes it happened) FAILURE during rainstorm!!
  • 5 dual-pane windows removed, cleaned, and resealed before replacing
We truly had less issues with our 07 Winnebago, but then we also blame the lot rot our rig experienced while going from dealer to dealer between it's first owner and us. It takes constant vigilance and maintenance. I always picture my home, though, hurtling down the road like our motorhomes do. It's a home that is forced to flex and move constantly, it goes from cold to hot and humid to dry . . . we ask a lot of these rigs!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Half the problem is us. My first motorhome, in1974, was a 72 open road. In 5 years I only replaced a blower motor on the furnace. My fault, I left the furnace on when stored and ran the battery down and burned up the blower motor. It had a pilot light on the furnace. a pilot light on the ref. a pilot light on the HWH. a manual awning. No TV. No surround sound. No slideout. Now everything is automatic, with a control board. In 2007 I bought a Pace Arrow. No slide. Few extras. I have had no problems in 4 years. the other half of the problem is sloppy installation and don't care service people.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:13 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought ours new and for the past nine years have had a series of problems.

Nothing serious, nothing that kept us out of operation. Most of the problems encountered were the obvious result of someone doing a poor job in the first place of installation etc;

All of the, what I would call, bigger problems were handled during warranty and so did not cost us money but did involve loss of time.

However, except for one dealer, every correction made was not done correctly the first time---we had to return several times to "get it right" for every repair. I am not a perfectionist, or overly picky, but if it doesn't work it doesn't work.

I spent some time "communicating" with the dealer and the manufacturer about this issue of substandard work. I also criticised some of their practices, sighting that all this warranty work must be a substantial drain on their resources. I encouraged methods of incentivising employees for quality as well and quantity of work. Their response was to go out of business----I wonder?

Here is an example. I had a DVD player that would skip, then shut itself off when played on any reasonable volume level. That DVD was replaced four times during the warranty over seven years. Each time I received a better DVD---but each time it did the same thing. During this time I also called the manufacturer of the DVD to discuss the problems---no help there either.

I was completely frustrated and we had never listened sucessfully to a DVD movie--ever. Finally I had a friend tell me "go to Best Buy and find a sales person who looks like he cannot get a date and ask him"---"that's all these kids do is play with this stuff". I took his advice and before I could get the description out of my mouth the young man says "you have a short in a speaker wire".

I went home and began disconnecting speakers and playing the unit until it played with one disconnected----sure enough there was a short to the subwoofer. I ran a new wire---turned the thing up to max and played a loud DVD---worked fine. But someone bought me four new DVD's over the past four years and spent all that tech time-----for nothing.

We are not life long RV folks. We have one rig we bought new. We decided late, actually after we retired. Our decision was to learn as much as we could, make a good choice, take good care of what we bought, and simply wear it out while enjoying it---and so that is what we are doing---and having a wonderful time, meeting and making new friends.

We also believed that this method would give us a fairly big bang for our dollar---we shall see---no regrets.

IN the mean time I have a list, which I make every year when we return in the spring from our winter retreat south, of things that need/want to be done to the motor home. This year it is 28 things long------I work on them---and when I am done we go again.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For our coach most everything seems to have been taken care of by the previous owner. I swear that the moho was either at the dealer or the mfr. more then they had it but when you look at the list of repairs if that is what you want to call their list, well? Most I would say were quality control items. When I see something like wires under driver seat not zip tied, I don't really call that a problem and there were a lot more of things like that. The only thing I can say since we have owned it is a problem with the HWH system jacks but that was taken care of. Now the upper front part of the front nose is beginning to peel. Clearcoat is coming off. From the factory they want a ton of $$$$$ to re-paint it so I think I'll have a friend of mine that has a body shop take a look at it when we get home. Other then that we have replaced the rear tv with an lcd and the front tv is now out and awaiting an lcd as well. I had a door made to cover the opening where the tv used to be and I am really toying with the idea of just setting the tv on the dash when we are at our destination. Of course tires had to be replaced but to me that's a given in time so can't complain on that one. Can't really think of anything else. Oh, missed the one broken day/night shade string but that's not a biggy either.
Happy Motoring!!!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
We bought a 1999 National Tradewinds in 2007 so she was older when we got her. So far, other than mods and upgrades we expected Here is the list.

Plumbing Leak (Fixed Myself)
Roof Leak (Fixed Myself)
Speed sensor on the Allison (Fixed Myself)
LP Gas regulator bad. (Repaired by a Pro)
Ice Maker water line. (Fixed Myself)
A/C Shrouds Crumbling (Fixed Myself)
Skylight Over Tub Crumbling (Fixed Myself)
Power Jack Pump Dangling (Fixed Myself)
Power Jacks Leaking (Repaired by a Pro)
New Tires (Repaired by a Pro)
Plumbing Bay Drain Leaking YUK! (Fixed Myself)
Bed Platform Broken (Fixed Myself)
Slide Topper Ripped. (Fixed Myself)
Headlights Just Wrong not bright enough. (Fixed Myself)
Generator Regulator board bad. (Fixed Myself)
Steps Wire Broken. (Fixed Myself)
All Gas Springs. (Fixed Myself)
House Batteries worn out. (Fixed Myself)
House Batteries Platform Cracked and falling out. (Repaired by a Pro)
Decals Cracking and curling. (Repaired by a Pro)

There must have been a few more but they would be minor. I really thought this list was shorter when I started it. I seems like we haven't had many problems, but spread out over several years they add up.

Still it seems, for an OLD GIRL, she’s served us well.

Dick
Old 07-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #20
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NEWMAR - BAY STAR

At time of delivery = O = ZERO

GEN ( ONAN ) = at 11 Hr, at broken Valvespring

On the MH small stuff during the first 4 (Four) years, like Bolts , slide etc

During the last trip: Generator ( 150 hr ) quit after a few seconds,
so - the ONAN Generator will be in the shop for a closer look?

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So far mine has been ok.
Only one problem that was fixed under warranty. A bad ground that shorted out the circuit board for the slide out.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpond3500 View Post
We have 1990 HR . Just put 6500 mi on it .Only trouble was viscus clutch on fan witch I replaced in campground for 60.00 and small plastic washers on enterway door broke so going to make new ones out off bearning bronze.before we left home Iput all new brakes on calpers and pads for around 550 I keep trace of all repares to see how much it really cost for owenship
I also have a 1990 HR. These things are built like a tank! You won't find many in salvage yards because they are still on the roads. I bought mine after sitting in a barn for 8 years and thought I got a good deal but soon found out that a lot of rubber things had deteriorated. After $5,000 in repairs and upgrades it looks and drives like new and I'm in it for under $18,000. I'm now looking for a DP to go full time but will really miss this coach. I don't think they make them like this anymore. I'm now looking at HR Navigators which seem well built.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #23

Other than the leaking windows and a broken day/night blind string, I have had very few problems with our Phaeton. I think one think that helped was the original owner traded it in on his nineth Tiffin. He also lived not too far from Red Bay witch was a plus.
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Excluding regular maintenance and wear items, I have had very few items on our 2004 Tiffin Open Road. Outside mirror switch, headlight aiming and a couple of factory re-call items by Workhorse, all at no charge. I did fix a small leak in the bathroom sink drain, and numerous squeeks and rattles myself. I do notice the living room slide is beginning to get very slow, and it will need some adjustment or repairs soon. Overall, I am quite happy with the lack of repairs needed so far. The motorhome is comming up on eight years old and has 43k miles on the odometer.

Dieselclacker

On edit: Forgot, I had to replace skylight due to cracking. Did it myself, less than $100. all inclusive.
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it wasn't for all the repairs and upgrades I do, I would be board to death!
Always have a list with at least 1/2 dozen minor repairs/upgrades to perform.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I can't compete with YCI, in post #10, but I have had some issues too:

Hydraulic jack wouldn’t retract – Replaced bent jack
Universal joint worn out
Main awning wouldn’t work, in or out – bad controller
Norcold refer doors fell off – replaced under warranty
Norcold refer quit working – bad “brain”
Bedroom slide wouldn’t extend – blown fuse
Water heater quit working – bad igniter
Windows fogging (5)
Engine failed to start - water in fuel.
Domestic water pump failed
House batteries dead
Engine batteries dead
Headlight out (Pass/side)
Engine overheated (Flat roads) – backflushed radiator
Hotwater hose fitting burst. Flooded Bedroom 2009 – plastic fitting
Norcold Refer quit again bad recall switch.
Hotwater hose fitting burst 2011 – another plastic fitting
Blowout, rt. rear inside dual. $2,200 damage to MH – 6 year old tires w/51,000 mi.
Water leak, rear of toilet – cracked plastic vaccume breaker.
Right & Left mirror arms replaced – chrome plating peeling
Roof needed re-caulking
Air Breather on Cat. Engine clogged
4 more windows fogged

I do some of the work, but mostly take it to Lazydays, in Tampa, for repairs.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #27

WOW, We must be lncredibly lucky or Foretravel coaches must be awfully good!! We came home from Texas at the end of March and I have done thirty-five changes to our 1989 Grand Villa, mostly because I wanted things my way. Only major costs were (1) new rear tire-$561, (2) new inside dual valve stems-$90, (1) new counter to replace the corian table with a shelf-$105. The remaining changes were little bitty things not necessitated by breakage or wearing out but due to our wanting upgrades. Things such as color rear view camera and monitor.

Everything that was built by Foretravel still works flawlessly, even the 23 year old icemaker!! The bathroom door closes better than the door in our S&B.

Not bad for a 1989 with 67,000 miles that we purchased for less than $20,000!!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by padre44 View Post
We got a new Newmar Bay Star in May. Too many things wrong, mostly small which I've fixed myself rather than drive 3 hours to dealer. Dash AC didn't work correctly - spit water. I fixed that too since Newmar has not responded to my correspondence - told me to run in max mode. From what I read here, problems with RV's are the norm. Detroit had that problem years ago and that's when Japan came on strong. Wonder of that's in the future for the RV industry? It is inexcusable to have such poor quality control. You'd think that people who run these companies would have more integrity than to push junk out their doors. They ought to be ashamed.
"Integrity," Now that's a good one!!!
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote