Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #29

That picture speaks a thousand words! I love the idea as I'm also on bird duty (or lack thereof, if I have anything to do with it). We're parked under a power line this week, so we're pretty well screwed till we move Monday.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 05:04 PM   #30

I have the same issue with both my coach and boat so I got a motion decitor and hook it up it to lawn sprinklers with a hose you need the one that the sprays about 15 -20 feet at a 45 angle when the land they get a hard shot of water and not happy

Shop Orbit Yard Enforcer Motion-Activated 1600-sq ft Sprinkler at Lowes.com

Shop Orbit 6200 Sq.-ft Impulse Spike Lawn Sprinkler at Lowes.com

You guys know the drill make it or buy it

Old 05-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Trekker View Post
I have the ultimate solution: no roof ladder. No problem.
That works for us with this rig! It wasn't even an option when ours was built in 2009.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
plastic bags keep them away
Old 05-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #33

Better quality black ones hold up well.

There are some blue ones we use on towers that hold up very long time but price is a little nuts.

Avoid the sound devices.

One of the pumping plants for the ca aqueduct has loud speakers that fire off assorted predatory birds and the local flocks hardly flinch and some have nested close to speakers.

They are the "residents"...sound maybe keeps the tourists out...
Old 05-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #34

did anyone try carpet tackstrip?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #35
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I really enjoyed reading this thread. I had this problem 23 years ago. I built an attached garage for my MH. Not only do I not have a bird problem, it also solved the snow problem we have here in Wisconsin. LOL I was sure someone would suggest a garage.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:04 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Don, I can buy a lot of plastic bags for what you paid for the garage - I'm jealous.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #37

Bird poo

Same problem on my pontoon boat. Got a plastic owl from my garden store. Has a bobble head that moves in the wind. There is a hole in the bottom and you can slide him over whatever you have or rig up. On my boat, he slides over the night running light and I have had no problems as long as I remember to put him up when I come back from the water.

This stopped my problem with little poo birds and also buzzards which like to land on my boat and tear the seats apart. I guess they thought it was the hide off a dead animal or something. Stinky catfish bait might confuse them.

Worth a try. The kids named the owl and they like to watch his head bobble so at least you will have a new pet.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Craig I feel your pain! I placed about 8 zip ties on the top of each rail about 2inch apart. The zip tie tails stick up about 5 inches, twist the first to lean left and the next to right and so on till finished. Has worked for the last 3 dp we've had! Repeat every two years due to UV taking it's toll on wire ties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Muffin, buy good quality (NOT Harbor Freight) black zip ties that are made to withstand ultraviolet light. They will last many times longer!
336muffin: Great idea, i'm going to do this today.

MSHappyCampers: Yes use the black ties for the sunlight. BTW...Certain things you don't buy at Harbor Freight, but come on, 100 black wire ties for 1.99 and use the 20% discount and get a free item, well you do the math.
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #39
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YosemiteBobR View Post
Hey Don, I can buy a lot of plastic bags for what you paid for the garage - I'm jealous.
Bob;

You are so correct. I get a little carried away on some of my projects. When we purchased our present home in 1967 we had no garage. The weather, as well as the birds, took a toll on our 2 cars sitting out in the sun, rain, and snow. My DW was part of our business and she worked as much as I did. Getting our vehicles going mornings in the winter months was a challenge. On 1992 Bev told me it was about time we had a garage to store our 2 cars and our first MH. I told her I would get right on it.

I planned for everything I wanted. We live in the City so I decided I wanted a RV dump, hot & cold running water, a rest room, a floor drain in the center with concrete floors properly sloped to the drain, & 100A electric service. I built it 28' X 44' and 14' side walls with a sloped roof to accommodate snow load.

When the contractor submitted the contract my DW hit the roof. She said I was putting more money in my garage than we had in the house. She thought I was crazy and had lost it. After a lot of pillow talk she gave me the go ahead to build it. Now after about 25 years I realize I built it too short and not tall enough but my DW is a Happy Camper.

We can load and unload the coach with out going out in the weather. We come home from a camp out and we dump & flush our holding tanks inside. We have potable water to fill our fresh water tank. She can go shopping and unload groceries out of the weather. Bottom line is the absence of birds is a very small benefit of having an attached garage. If we had it to do over again we would do it the same but a little larger.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:58 PM   #40

My first thought was a handful of birdseed tossed onto and around the neighbor's RV. Not a polite thing to do, but it may work.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:05 PM   #41

Did you noticed that fastfood places like McD, KFC, etc. no more have this issue?

What is their secret?

Should we store our rig on their parking lot to avoid birds poos?
Old 05-04-2016, 09:09 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
Bob;

You are so correct. I get a little carried away on some of my projects. When we purchased our present home in 1967 we had no garage. The weather, as well as the birds, took a toll on our 2 cars sitting out in the sun, rain, and snow. My DW was part of our business and she worked as much as I did. Getting our vehicles going mornings in the winter months was a challenge. On 1992 Bev told me it was about time we had a garage to store our 2 cars and our first MH. I told her I would get right on it..................

Don
Thats it I'm having a talk with the DW, and I'll show her this post Out.......standing Don. I can only dream

YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote