Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #43

Darn Birds

We bought a roll of Mylar, it is silver and red, and we then tie strips to the ladder. Works great. Mylar is used in vineyards and gardens to keep the birds from eating the grapes and tomatoes. Inexpensive and the slightest breeze makes the Mylar move.
mkleamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Time to post another update on my war with these darn birds.

The black plastic hand clamps that I have been using to clamp the nail spikes to my ladder quickly failed under the California sunshine. I purchased some metal clamps but they were a different design and didn't secure the spikes in the same manner. The tips of the clamps had to be facing upward, towards the sky. Well my fine feathered and highly intelligent opponents saw the tips of those clamps as an invitation to return. Are you kidding me? A very small surface, but the birds began landing on it, chirping and mocking me in the process...

I removed the clamp's plastic tips, drove a through each tip, and glued the tips back onto the clamps. Praying this modification works.

I hope this war is almost over, I'm getting tired of going up and down my ladder!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1462839167.887539.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	126591

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #45

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
After reading all this I am going to design something that will cover only the upper portion on an RV. Oh crap(pun intended) someone already has.
https://www.rvcoversdirect.com/produ...rv-roof-cover/
Old 05-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Darn Birds!

Yep, nothing better than a cover. My feeling is, if I'm going up to the roof to install a cover, I may as well cover the entire rig and protect the paint in the process. I'm sure a top cover is easier to get up to the roof though since it weighs less.

As I said in my OP, the bird spikes are for those times when my rig is not covered, like preparing for a trip or even while camping. Or as in my current condition - I re-injured my back and I can't perform the bending required to install any type of cover.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #47

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
You could buy a tarp and put it over the birds roosting place.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #48

Our solution...expensive but worth it. We live in Texas (Tornado Alley) and our motor home is protected from hail also...plus our pick up and Jeep fit in there, too!
dpsdebi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsdebi7 View Post

Our solution...expensive but worth it. We live in Texas (Tornado Alley) and our motor home is protected from hail also...plus our pick up and Jeep fit in there, too!
Vacuum cleaner??
Old 05-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #50

You may buy some waterproof sticky stuff in a caulking tube the prevents birds from roosting on a surface, I forget the name.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:50 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You may buy some waterproof sticky stuff in a caulking tube the prevents birds from roosting on a surface, I forget the name.
Very helpful unless the OP would like to use the ladder while he is out camping/traveling. Sticky preventive bird roosting caulk. How unique.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:21 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Very helpful unless the OP would like to use the ladder while he is out camping/traveling. Sticky preventive bird roosting caulk. How unique.
The company I used to work for used it in all their open pole barns to prevent pigeons from roosting inside, the city uses it on window ledges around their gov. buildings for the same reason. It's humane and harmless, local bird lovers can't complain.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 05-12-2016, 08:12 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Vacuum cleaner??
There is supposed to be a pic of our 30x50 metal building with my post...evidently I'm not too good at this!
dpsdebi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:13 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsdebi7 View Post
There is supposed to be a pic of our 30x50 metal building with my post...evidently I'm not too good at this!
In the very first forum there are detailed instructions for including a picture.