Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2015, 10:12 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Darn Birds!

I store my motorhome at home and do my best to keep it covered, but there are times when it sits uncovered, Birds for some reason have all of a sudden decided to use the top of my RV roof ladder as a dump station. I just waxed my MH yesterday. Before I could get the cover back on today, the darn birds streaked the rear cap of the MH with you know what...

Any ideas on how to keep them away? I obviously don't want to use anything permanent that could prevent me from using my cover.

Thanks!

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 10:37 AM   #2

You might try a couple of rubber snakes. Wrap one around the top of the ladder & place another one on the rear cap.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Try a strip of wood with nails sticking out on the rung. You might have to bungee cord it on, but they can't land on the nails. I had to do this to on off my pergola posts to keep them off. What amazes me, is how there is only about 6' between motorhomes at my storage lot, and they can hit the lower half of it!
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #4

My previous MH was white and birds would eat those purple berries stand on the latter and crap purple right down the back. I tried putting a plastic owl put they just crapped on in head. So I traded MH no more problems since.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
12ga
Old 04-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
My previous MH was white and birds would eat those purple berries stand on the latter and crap purple right down the back. I tried putting a plastic owl put they just crapped on in head. So I traded MH no more problems since.

Hilarious!

Old 04-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #7

x2 on the rubber snakes. My Mom uses them in a hanging plant to keep the birds out of it. She also hangs one over her back porch light to keep birds from building a nest there. No birds in either place now for years since she used the snakes.
bluie5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #8

Just be glad that cows don't fly >>>>
Old 04-24-2016, 03:12 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Darn Birds!

UPDATE:

Well, a year has gone by now and I've tried all kinds bird scare tactics. Here are the winners and losers:

I started off with the rubber snake trick. This worked for about two days. I speculated that when the birds don't see the snake moving, they realize it can't harm them. I didn't want to re-position the snake every other day, so this was a bust.

I bought some plastic pinwheels from our local dollar store and clamped them to the top of the ladder. This initially worked well - the birds steered clear. Then, the winds picked up one day and obliterated the cheap pinwheels. Ugh!

Since the pinwheels worked well for a long time, I bought some beefier metal garden pinwheels and attached them in the same manner. This was a failure - the metal pinwheels need a lot more wind to move them, so no wind equaled a return of the birds.

I then tried some blank CD's. I put some zip ties through the CD holes and clamped the zip ties to the ladder in a manner that allowed the CD's to move in the wind. This worked well for about one week. Once again, the birds eventually realized the CD's were harmless and opened my ladder bathroom back open for business.

Time to get serious...I decided to try denlock's suggestion.

I went to Lowe's and picked up two 5 gallon size paint stirring sticks. They turned out to be the perfect size for the project - they needed no trimming. I ran a row of nails down the center of each stick. I sprayed the sticks with some anti-rust spray paint, to seal the wood and prevent rust stains from the nails. I then clamped the sticks to the top of my ladder with my good ole trusty clamps. Problem solved. The birds no longer use my ladder as a bathroom....they've moved on to my neighbor's RV!

Craig

Old 04-24-2016, 03:26 PM   #10

Craig I feel your pain! I placed about 8 zip ties on the top of each rail about 2inch apart. The zip tie tails stick up about 5 inches, twist the first to lean left and the next to right and so on till finished. Has worked for the last 3 dp we've had! Repeat every two years due to UV taking it's toll on wire ties.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Craig I feel your pain! I placed about 8 zip ties on the top of each rail about 2inch apart. The zip tie tails stick up about 5 inches, twist the first to lean left and the next to right and so on till finished. Has worked for the last 3 dp we've had! Repeat every two years due to UV taking it's toll on wire ties.

Muffin, buy good quality (NOT Harbor Freight) black zip ties that are made to withstand ultraviolet light. They will last many times longer!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Muffin, buy good quality (NOT Harbor Freight) black zip ties that are made to withstand ultraviolet light. They will last many times longer!
I don't buy from Harbor Freight.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post

X2
Old 05-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Why not just go out every now and then and spray off the poop with a garden hose?