Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2014, 01:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
...If it is legal to use in court and it supports my case...all the better. If illegal or doesn't help me...deep six. If I don't reveal I had it in the first place and it wasn't obvious (BTW, this is an important distinction regarding surreptitious recording.) then it is mine to do what I want with.
Well, that makes sense, but this generally a no-no. If this is for a speeding ticket you may get away with this, but this is really a bad idea if you'd get into a fatality accident or any other serious incident. You simply can't destroy evidence that could be used against you; Google evidence tampering.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 01:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Anybody have recommendations / good experience with particular brands/models of cams?
I am not heavily into dashcamming, but I got a Sony HDR-AS30, and I like it. I got to use as an action cam (like GoPro) with the thought that I'd also use it as a dashcam. On the positive side, it works great, excellent resolution, very compact, integrated GPS (thus you can get velocities, positions, etc.), and is tough. On the negative side it is build as an action cam not a dash cam, thus it does not have the features that you'd probably want in a dash cam, like a screen, and easier operation.

My recommendation is to try to adapt a video camera that you already know and love, or get a camera that you could have multiple uses.

One important thing that you need to consider compared to other cameras that you may be used to is how it handles the long term recording.

Good luck!

Old 04-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #31

Dash Cam

There is NO EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY on a public way or public place. As a , now retired thirty year LEO, I loved the dash recorder in my cruiser. Once the "offender" learned everything was recorded, most just pled guilty.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #32

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
As far as the evidence goes, no you should not destroy it but you are not required to provide evidence against yourself either.
GPS, I thought would be beneficial but another forum pointed out that a recorded GPS speed of even one or two miles an hour over the limit could make you culpable also, relieving the other driver of the complete fault.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFreyja View Post
As far as the evidence goes, no you should not destroy it but you are not required to provide evidence against yourself either.
GPS, I thought would be beneficial but another forum pointed out that a recorded GPS speed of even one or two miles an hour over the limit could make you culpable also, relieving the other driver of the complete fault.
John, I do not know what the law is in the state that you live or travel in, but generally in the US you will be required to turn over such evidence against yourself during a discovery process if the other side asks you for it.

With respect to the going over the allowed speed, it would certainly be brought up by the other side, but if it was not a contributing factor to the accident, it would not absolve the other side of there fault.

Tags
dash