Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #15
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I have had good luck with the tank freshener product that they sell at Walmart in the rv section.
Is that "Dometic D1225001 D Line Fresh Water Tank Cleaner"?

The online info looks quite good. One container will clean my 95 gallon fresh water tank.

However, the only places that I found in an online search that sell it are: Home Depot, Walmart, and ebay. ALL of them say "Not in Stock" both in the store and online.

Well, there is one seller on ebay that carries it for $51.12 USD. They are located in Australia.

Is there an issue with availability in the USA? Is this product being discontinued? It still is on the Dometic website. Or, are they selling through RV dealers only in the USA?
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #16

I use a product called Spring Fresh. Put in FW tank run through all the lines, then I let sit for a couple days, then flush the system. 7 years now and no problem and the water tastes fine. I do use 2 water filters. 1 in and 1 outside and they are a better brand filter.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I use a product called Spring Fresh. Put in FW tank run through all the lines, then I let sit for a couple days, then flush the system. 7 years now and no problem and the water tastes fine. I do use 2 water filters. 1 in and 1 outside and they are a better brand filter.
I've never used the Spring Fresh mentioned but did look up the MSDS and it appears to be 4-5% Ethyl Alcohol and 0.25 - 1.0% Sorbitan Monooleate Ethoxylate which is just a surfactant (wetting agent)

It doesn't seem to me that the supplier (Camco) doesn't claim it to be a "sanitizer" but more a "freshener / deodorizer.
"The Camco TastePURE Spring Fresh Fresh Water System Cleaner and Deodorizer will clean your fresh water system for better tasting and odor free drinking water. If you need to dewinterize your tank and lines, and/or freshen up and deodorize, this safe, biodegradable formula has got you covered. No mixing or measuring is required; one gallon cleans up to a 100-gallon tank."

I could be wrong but I can't find anything supporting a 5% Ethyl Alcohol solution diluted 100:1 for a 100 gal tank (now 0.05%) being a disinfectant... only reference I can find uses 70% solution of ethyl alcohol to wipe down surfaces for sterilization.

I also see Camco replies to questions that state this is NOT a sanitizer!!
The instructions also state to rinse 3X after using it - It doesn't take that many rinses w/ bleach to remove any objectionable taste / odor and the system is sanitized

It seems like this is intended to follow bleach sterilization to "freshen taste & odors"
Am I missing something???
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:27 PM   #18

I'm hitting the road right now after the rig has been stored for 3+ years. How about we just drink bottled water until I can sanitize the fresh water tank? I will flush it thoroughly.

Item: the gray water drain from the bathroom floor was clogged - I expect with mold & mildew - until we opened the tank drain. I had poured antifreeze into the drain lines & toilet - not the fresh water tank. No leaks found yet.
1991 Clarion by Coachmen #143 (for sale)
2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2551
pilotmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotmike View Post
Item: the gray water drain from the bathroom floor was clogged - I expect with mold & mildew - until we opened the tank drain.
Sounds like a plugged vent to me. All the drains should run freely with the tank drain valve closed (provided the tank's not full...).

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Sounds like a plugged vent to me. All the drains should run freely with the tank drain valve closed (provided the tank's not full...).

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks, Mark,

It's been OK but I'm going to have my buddy climb up on the roof and flush the vent with a hose.

I found out that the rod on the gray water valve is broken. I will get a new one once I know the length.

I managed to jam up the valve flap on the toilet. It doesn't open. I'll see if I can free it up ledt I need a new toilet.

This beast is 28 years old. I managed to break it more in this first trip than it was up now.

The weather got hot today I hear a deafening roar as I figured the engine A/C hi pressure line burst. So today we opened all of the windows and when it got unbearable I ran the generator to power up the coach A/C.

I had the A/C fixed by a Ford dealer when I bought the Clarion.

Not to mention the engine fire that was followed immediately by an emergency happening behind us where the ambulance penned us in for an hour.

But hey, we're having a good time.
1991 Clarion by Coachmen #143 (for sale)
2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2551
pilotmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter