RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
De Winterizing Coach question

Leaving for Florida next week on maiden voyage.

Do you guys always sanitize your your water holding tank before use?
What is the measurement of Bleach that you add per gallon to the water?

Can we use something else?

Regards Jim P.

pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2019, 04:55 PM   #2

I sanitize the system each spring. I use one cup of regular unscented bleach in my 45 gallon fresh tank. Run it into the plumbing system and let it sit for a couple hours. Flush with lots of fresh water.

There are other things you can use, like hydrogen peroxide, but they are more expensive and not as effective as bleach.

steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #3

I use a product called Spring Fresh. Do it by the instructions, fill the system with out the filter and let it sit a couple days till we are ready to leave. Drain and flush a couple times. Haven't had anything in 7 years.
A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #4

Hydrogen peroxide is more effective than bleach partially because bleach is high pH and c

Chlorine kills layer by layer and much better at lower pH and lower alkalinity waters

The reason peroxide it isn't widely used in water systems is the test is difficult at low levels and the residual isn't as persistent

Chlorine is cheap and easily tested for at ppm levels so easily monitored

You can smell it as well and there some issues with chloamines and taste

1 ounce of peroxide per 10 gallons of water for severe conditions or 1/2 ounce for normal situations

Severe would be if you have odors or know you used a contaminated hose to fill or something similar
Old 03-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #5

1/4 cup per 15 gal capacity is a recommended level.
It is time dependent and above should set 4-6 hrs. O'nite is a safe practice.
Weaker takes longer stronger is quicker. Caution w strong solutions as it can affect some matls adversely.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
1/4 cup of non scented bleach per 15 gallons of tank capacity. Run through the system with filters removed. Let sit at least 4 hours. Rinse thoroughly.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:07 PM   #7
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I generally sanitize as part of my de-winterization. I fill the fresh water tank with about 20 gallons. Before I do this, I pour about a cup of bleach in the hose, then start filling the tank. The bleach gets mized in with the water.

I then run all a the faucets until the pink is gone and I can smell the bleach. I also also make sure the water heater gets filled.

Let everything sit for a couple hours, then drain and re-fill with fresh water.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I generally sanitize as part of my de-winterization. I fill the fresh water tank with about 20 gallons. Before I do this, I pour about a cup of bleach in the hose, then start filling the tank. The bleach gets mized in with the water.

I then run all a the faucets until the pink is gone and I can smell the bleach. I also also make sure the water heater gets filled.

Let everything sit for a couple hours, then drain and re-fill with fresh water.
That's OK if you have a 20 gal tank.
Recommendation us to FILL the tank w proper qty of bleach for that capacity so you are wetting & sanitizing all of the tank surfaces... it's not just to get the solution through the plumbing.
A cup of bleach is about right for 60 gal tank if filled
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #9
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
That's OK if you have a 20 gal tank.
I have an 80 gallon fresh tank. I don't fill it completely when I sanitize, only enough to get chlorinated water into all the plumbing.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I have an 80 gallon fresh tank. I don't fill it completely when I sanitize, only enough to get chlorinated water into all the plumbing.
What about the sides and top of the water tank including the gravity fill if you use it?

If I am going to the trouble of sanitizing then the tank gets filled completely
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #11

Keep in mind the fresh water tank has a vent and is exposed to the atmosphere and to the immediate area where you are camped. In a campground there is most likely a sewer connection near by that just might have a bit of gas escaping and people tend to spill a bit of black on the ground from time to time. Therefor your fresh water tank is somewhat exposed over time. It just makes sense to sanitize the entire system. And while I am at this use a sanitizer to spray the hose ends and spigot and of course your hose should have been coupled together and stored in a tight container and certainly don't let the ends touch the ground.

Changing filters, same deal, sanitize the housing and threads and handle the filter with gloves. If there is a film in the housing it needs to be sanitized as well by soaking and scrubbing.
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The prevailing freshwater tank sanitizer is bleach. It's cheap and it works. But it's a pain to rinse out.

Wondering if anyone has considered the use of glass sanitizer, the stuff bartenders dip drinking glasses into after washing. I use this stuff to sanitize the equipment instead of bleach when I brew up batches of beer. I used to use bleach but it requires a lot of rinsing, the sanitizer stuff you just rinse and go. It's colorless and odorless. You'd still have to do a tank rinse but it won't smell and taste like a swimming pool like it does with bleach.

Can't seem to find any reference online to doing this and probably for good reason, but off hand I can't think of any. Not sure what a suitable concentration would be or what that would translate to for cost per treated gallon but surprised I'm not finding any reference to it at all.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found an application document for the stuff I was thinking of and it lists a few applications that would make you think aren't any different than sanitizing a potable water system. Seems one would only have to come up with a suitable concentration.

https://media3.cleanfreak.com/docume...-steramine.pdf

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #14

I have had good luck with the tank freshener product that they sell at Walmart in the rv section. I used to use bleach, but found the smell persisted for quite a while. The tank freshener will get rid of any water smells, and sanitize your system without the bleach smell. If you have a water filter, just add it there. If not, add it into the hose before you attach it. I guess you could pour it down the gravity feed if you have one.

Tags
winter