Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #1

Dead batteries

coach house sprinter based rv 2016 (2015 MB)
First off not happy w/ single 12 volt battery. Plan to upgrade.

Anyhow,let the house battery get too low (dead) & so went to start engine so I could start the generator from the engine . Absolutely nothing ,no dash lights ,nothing. Bummed at jump from a camping buddy & engine would still not start , but did allow to start the generator . After running generator for 30 minutes the engine did start.
Second time ,again let the house batteries get to low . Engine would not start . Could not even turn the key. This time I did have access to 120 power. After plugging in I was able to start the engine.
RV dealer thinks it is the battery isolation switch & it is MB 's problem.
Any ideas ?
papaprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
To be clear your issues is that if you kill the house battery, it kills the chassis battery as well.

If that is the case you definitely need find out why the chassis battery is tied into the house battery loads and correct that.

I don't know your system but my expectation is that the chassis battery should be isolated from the house loads and the house isolated from the chassis loads with the possible exception of a momentary "boost" switch with ties your house to your chassis for the purposes of starting the chassis motor(s) kind of an internal "jumper cable system". If the boost switch is not momentary perhaps you left that on, or the solenoid it activates is stuck. Either way it does sound like a house or house/chassis integration issue.

You may or may soon have a house and chassis battery issue because draining a lead acid battery to what sounds like very low voltage will shorten the life considerably so you need to find a way to not let that happen as often (at all).
Old 05-31-2016, 08:30 AM   #3

I have a similar problem. We have a 2013 Bounder and it has two kill switches for the batteries. I have begun to use them to be sure that whatever is draining the batteries is prevented by shutting them both off. We also have a 5v solar panel that trickle charges the chassis battery, and it is not doing enough to offset whatever is causing the drain. If there is a common problem here I would like to know what remedy will be best.

We are starting on a extended tour of West Coast from border to border then down the eastern slope of Sierras via 395 mostly. Never been on a trip like this and will need to ask for help on occasion
BoomerBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:12 AM   #4

Well Papparr, at risk of being snippy......

You need to read the manuals. Maybe get some one more experienced with your coach to explain how it works. Learn learn to use the panel showing the batteries state of charge. In most coachs:

Shore power only charges house battery.
Generator charges only house battery
Benz engine charges BOTH coach and house.
Generator starter is powered only by the coach batteries.......
Slaved together, both battery systems can be used to start the Benz...or with trickery and LUCK to start the genny.
With a small 3-6 AMP (electronic controlled) 110V charger with a cigar plug adapter...you can charge the chassis battery via the 300W accessory plug at the bottom of the center console.

Below the radio/GPS/entertainment center stack should be a rocker switch that selects either coach battery or chassis battery as the power source for the radio stack. This lets you power the entertainment center off the house battery with engine off. It will flatten the chassis house battery in no time if left on coach while parked.

Obviously... Ignition on ACC to power the radio stack will flatten the chassis battery.

OK..... Next time the generator won't start. Get your Mate to hold the Emergency Start switch closed (the other mysterious switch below the radio stack). Then hit the generator starter.

The ES switch slaves the two battery sets together.....AND you might get just enough juice to kick over the genny. Once running release the ESS. Charge the coach batteries. When they are up enough....close the ESS and start the Benz.

Shut down the genny and let the more powerful Benz alternator charge up both sets.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
Well Papparr, at risk of being snippy......

You need to read the manuals. Maybe get some one more experienced with your coach to explain how it works. Learn learn to use the panel showing the batteries state of charge. In most coachs:

Shore power only charges house battery.
Generator charges only house battery
Benz engine charges BOTH coach and house.
Generator starter is powered only by the coach batteries.......
Slaved together, both battery systems can be used to start the Benz...or with trickery and LUCK to start the genny.
With a small 3-6 AMP (electronic controlled) 110V charger with a cigar plug adapter...you can charge the chassis battery via the 300W accessory plug at the bottom of the center console.

Below the radio/GPS/entertainment center stack should be a rocker switch that selects either coach battery or chassis battery as the power source for the radio stack. This lets you power the entertainment center off the house battery with engine off. It will flatten the chassis house battery in no time if left on coach while parked.

Obviously... Ignition on ACC to power the radio stack will flatten the chassis battery.

OK..... Next time the generator won't start. Get your Mate to hold the Emergency Start switch closed (the other mysterious switch below the radio stack). Then hit the generator starter.

The ES switch slaves the two battery sets together.....AND you might get just enough juice to kick over the genny. Once running release the ESS. Charge the coach batteries. When they are up enough....close the ESS and start the Benz.

Shut down the genny and let the more powerful Benz alternator charge up both sets.

I have a neighbor with a 2015 Itasca Navion 24J who had this problem. I had her buy a 1.5A trickle charger (battery maintainer) and wired an accessory plug on it so she can keep it plugged into the aux power jack at the bottom of the console. I told her to keep the radio switch in the "House" position also! Problems solved!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #6

Maybe not snippy, but rude . Second sprinter rv. 3 rd rv. Read both manuals. Did you actually read my post?
papaprr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries