Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #1

Dead battery on toad after being towed

A new problem. On the last 2 two-day tows the battery on our 2009 HHR has been drained. We think we are doing the same hook-up routine but not sure.

Here's our routine: 1) Hook up the tow bar and the electric wires to the toad, 2) Put the transmission in neutral, 3) Install the Model 9700 Brake Buddy, 4) Pull the #8 fuse, 5) Put the ignition on accessory (one click from the off position, not all the way on).

Can anyone tell us what we're missing or what to check to end this problem? Thanx
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Is that the original battery in your HHR? Your battery may be marginal for 2 days of the BB drawing off it. JM2¢
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #3

buy a small solar panel at Costco that plugs into the cigarette lighter and let place it on the dash. It should keep the battery charged.
ridahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm assuming that the owner's manual suggesting pulling the fuse that you are doing. Is it possible that some other accessory is running on the HHR?

In your shoes, I'd hook up the HHR as you normally do and get a clamp on DC ammeter and attach it to the main postive battery cable on the HHR. I got my ammeter from Sears for about $50 and have used it to trouble shoot a number of things so I consider it to be a good investment. It is certainly better than taking your vehicle into a garage and paying someone else.

The ammeter will show current draw. Just remove all of the fuses, one at a time until the current draw stops. If the current is sufficient to kill the battery after just a few hours of towing, it is high enough for the ammeter to detect. When you have the right fuse, you'll know why your battery is dying.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
Is that the original battery in your HHR? Your battery may be marginal for 2 days of the BB drawing off it. JM2¢
Good thought. Might be time for a new one.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #6

disconnecting ground terminal solved that problem for me.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I also had the same problem with my toad battery. I ran a 12 VDC line with fuse to the toad battery through the RV cable and a separate ground wire from the coach batteries to the toad battery. After being hooked up for several days without starting, the toad the battery would be drained. I finally purchased a quick disconnect for the toad negative post and no more problems.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had this happen to me once also. My solution was two-fold. First I ran an additional 12 vdc power wire, fused with a 5 amp fuse) from the MH to the Positive side of the battery of my Jeep. This provides a maintenance charge to the Jeep battery from the MH. Second I provided a new 12 vdc accessory outlet for the Brake Buddy wired directly to the Jeep battery, thus bypassing the ignition switch and negating the requirement for the key to be on. Hope this helps.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
LSL Toad Charge Battery Charger

I'm installing one of these.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I had the battery charger removed from a battery pack that you find on boat trailers wired to my toads battery. It seems to work. The cigarette lighter powered solar charger failed to work the last time I tried it. The whole trip was in a heavy rain and the windshield was covered with road dirt causing it to not do what was promised!
Old 10-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #11

Does your toad have automatic headlights? I tow a 2009 Saturn, had no problems till fall of the year. It is a little darker now and my headlights were turning on and draining my battery. Just a thought.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Brake Buddy eats electricity, likely the brake lights also eat it when the break buddy activates, If the battery in your HHR has a few years on it, then capacity may be dropping, dropping, dropping.

This is ONE of the two reasons I don't like teh brake buddy and units like it. The other is the fact you need to install it every time you tow so for a short hop say to the dealer there is a tendency to say "Ah It's just too much trouble so I'll forget it for this short..... CRASH.... Gee I wish I'd installed it"

The solution may be a new battery for the towed.. OR a product often called Toad-Charge here, Basically this is a link from the towing vehicle (motor home) to the car to keep the battery up. Even if you replace the battery.... Consider one.

Short side story: In Jan (2) 2006 I pulled off my lot in Detroit, did the walk around and found my tail lights not working on the towed.... Well, the brake system I choose (US-Gear) INCLUDED a Towed charge circuit... I pressed the PARKING LIGHT button on the towed, thus activating the tail and parking lamps, and drove to Las Vegas, no problems. No dead battery either.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #13

We bought a battery disconnect from Camping World like this one.
http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...y&Nty=1&Ntpc=1
Now, if we are going to be towing for more than about 3 hours we just disconnect the battery and the battery is good to go when we arrive at our new location. It takes about 0 minutes to open the hood, raise the knife connection and close the hood again. The reverse is true as well.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #14

I have a GMC Envoy. Good toad, but if I didn't stop ever hour to 1-1/2 hours it would be deader than a door-nail.

I put one of these Accessories | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle and have had no further trouble!
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, toad